| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal steel solos that nobody knew were pedal steel
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 7:29 am    

Reece has a thread on major non-country groups which featured pedal steel playing. Not wanting to hijack that thread, here's another question.

What about songs with a solo or main hook that was played by a pedal steel, but which nobody knows was a pedal steel? Some of these are unrecognizable as pedal steel because of the sound (e.g. overdriven amp sound), some just because the playing wasn't typical pedal steel phrasing.

The Boxer (has been extensively discussed on the forum)

Right on Down the Line: major hit by Gerry Rafferty with great hooks by BJ Cole

She Came in through the Bathroom Window: Joe Cocker cover with great rock and roll playing by Sneaky Pete.

Two Dollars in the Jukebox: not quite as 'unrecognizable' as the above examples, but I know people who were surprised that Hal Rugg took the break on this.

What about other examples?
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 7:42 am    

The Solo on Shania's "I ain't no Quitter"....

I thought it was non-pedal and posted about it when that song hit radio. But someone corrected me and said it was Paul Franklin on psg.

JW

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 8:08 am    

I've heard from more than one source that the "slide" guitar hook on George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" was played by Pete Drake on PSG.

That surprised me because a similar sound became Harrison's own signature slide tone on many records, but I figured it's possible that after it became a big hit he adapted that sound that Pete came up with for his own slide guitar playing (which Harrison was not really known for before that I don't think).

Any of you more expert historians know for sure?
Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 8:15 am    

When I was a teenager, I loved the tone of the solo on the Everley Brothers song, Lucille, and tried so hard without success, to get that sound on my guitar. I found out, many years later that it was Jimmy Day on steel. It was sparse and yet so soulful.
John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 8:20 am    

Here is one in reverse.

When Elvis cut "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" I thought surely it was a steel guitar.

Bobbe said he did it with a standard electric guitar.

I am a little fuzzy on the details, it was a while ago when we talked about it, but I believe he used an ES-335, and a lipstick tube, Zippo, or whatever.

Maybe he'll jump in and clear this up, it was an interesting story.
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 8:44 am    

This is great, keep them coming!

On the 'My Sweet Lord' thing, Dave Thompson's in his book "Wall of Pain" about Phil Spector, says that Spector, recalling his frustration with the number of takes required for the slide guitar overdub on "My Sweet Lord," is quoted as saying something like "George did f*&^% 90 takes, then f&^%$# 90 more with a bottleneck. Then Eric Clapton did 90 more."

But memory is a frail thing, so I guess Pete could have done it.
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 8:45 am    

Jeff Baxter's "wah wah trombone" part on Steely Dan's version of Duke Ellingtons "East St Louis Toodle-oo" would fit this description.

A lot of Lloyd Maines solos come to mind...

Rusty Young's various "organ" parts and solos with Poco.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 8:48 am    

Dan Tyack wrote:
...Spector, recalling his frustration with the number of takes required for the slide guitar overdub on "My Sweet Lord," is quoted as saying something like "George did f*&^% 90 takes, then f&^%$# 90 more with a bottleneck. Then Eric Clapton did 90 more."

So Clapton's 90 takes weren't f*&^%? Only George's were? Wink
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 8:49 am    

Yeah, I always had my doubts about "My Sweet Lord", it doesn't really SOUND like anything else Pete ever played that I know of. He plays quite a bit on that album but even though it's a rock album most of Pete's playing is not much different than what he was playing on country records at the time. But I thought I'd throw that out there...

Oh, I read that Phil Spector book too but had forgotten that part... anyway probably best not to get to much into the quirks of THAT guy's memory! Smile
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 9:07 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Dan Tyack wrote:
...Spector, recalling his frustration with the number of takes required for the slide guitar overdub on "My Sweet Lord," is quoted as saying something like "George did f*&^% 90 takes, then f&^%$# 90 more with a bottleneck. Then Eric Clapton did 90 more."

So Clapton's 90 takes weren't f*&^%? Only George's were? Wink

Well, he's Eric Clapton after all.
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 10:25 am    

1950 Speedy West on Tennessee Ernie and Kay Starr's, "I'll Never Be Free"!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 10:45 am    

For John D.:

'Can't Help Falling In Love' was a part of the "Blue Hawaii" soundtrack. There are two versions of the song - one for the single and one for the actual movie.

The recordings were done at Radio Recorders in Hollywood, CA on March 21-23 1961. There were three guitarists present - Scotty Moore, Tiny Timbrell and Hank Garland. The steel-player was Alvino Rey.

I was going to mention the Everly's 'Lucille' as a prime example of steel sounding like six-string guitar. Jimmy Day is heard on several Everly tracks done at around that time, and it's worth listening to their 'It's Everly Time' album - 'Nashville Blues' and 'Sleepless Nights' also feature Jimmy.

'Lucille' had me fooled for years until Don Everly himself cleared up the mystery when he was on tour in London in the mid-'60s.

I worked with George Harrison in the '70s, and we used that 'My Sweet Lord' intro for a 'spoof' song we were doing. We did discuss the original, and George said he'd played the slide part. I did it on E9th, and I think he'd have mentioned it if there'd been PSG on the original. He wasn't given to boasting or in any way misrepresenting himself. That was my impression of him, anyway.

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 4 Feb 2008 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 10:50 am    

John Drury wrote:
Here is one in reverse.

When Elvis cut "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" I thought surely it was a steel guitar.

Bobbe said he did it with a standard electric guitar.

I am a little fuzzy on the details, it was a while ago when we talked about it, but I believe he used an ES-335, and a lipstick tube, Zippo, or whatever.

Maybe he'll jump in and clear this up, it was an interesting story.

Well, if we're talking about the major release, Paramount says it was Bernie Lewis, and RCA says it was Alvino Rey.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 11:02 am    

Bernie Lewis played ukulele on the 'Blue Hawaii' sessions, as did Fred Tavares.
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 11:07 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:

I worked with George Harrison in the '70s, and we used that 'My Sweet Lord' intro for a 'spoof' song we were doing. We did discuss the original, and George said he'd played the slide part. I did it on E9th, and I think he'd have mentioned it if there'd been PSG on the original.

Sounds like the definitive answer to me, thanks Roger!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 11:18 am    

To add to my post, Pete...

George was fascinated by pedal-steel, but wasn't any kind of expert, because he thought I was wonderful!!!

You can find the 'fruits' of our labours on YouTube - you'll see just how misguided he was Very Happy ....

('George Harrison - 'The Pirate Song' - check it out, but try to remember that I'd only been playing a short while.... Embarassed )
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 12:47 pm    

I know it's familiar to most everyone here on the forum, but JayDee Manness' contribution to Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" seems to have gone largely unnoticed by the general public.
"There was steel in there ?!?"

-John
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 12:52 pm    

Robbie Williams has steel on some of his, Melvin Duffy.and a lode of other acts
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mansion1/melvinduffy.html

Last edited by John Roche on 4 Feb 2008 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 12:52 pm    

Yes, John (Steele, that is!), but it sounds like steel. There's no doubt it's a pedal steel on that record, and there's no attempt to disguise it, although it is a little unexpected on a Clapton recording.

RR

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 4 Feb 2008 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 12:58 pm    

Isn't it Al Perkins on the second half of the solo of Silver Threads and Golden Needles by Linda Ronstadt. A real rockin' guitar sound.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 1:14 pm    

Yes, "Tears In Heaven" featured Jay Dee on pedal steel. I wondered if there was a steel in that song the first time I heard it and another song that had good steel is Billy Vera's "At This Moment" featuring Jeff Baxter on steel.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 1:41 pm     steel solos or hooks

How about Elvin Bishop's "Fooled around and fell in Love"? I'm wondering who did that track......I think it might have been Garcia since they were all hanging out in those days.......Maybe Jason Odd can shed some light on this, I looked up the discography on the album but dosent say too much....
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 2:01 pm    

BJ cole must have a done lot of stuff that did not sound like steel. Cochise was a great band....
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 3:07 pm    

"Crimson & Clover"
Tommy James & The Shondells
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 4:08 pm    

The solo on "Afternoon Delight" by the Starland Vocal Band and also "So Nice to be With You' by the group Gallery (played by a young Paul Franklin).