| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Carter?
Aki Paivinen

Finland
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2008 1:23 am    

I´d like to know your opinions on new Carter steels. How do they sound in comparison to Mullen or Zum? I´m considering to choose from one of these three, but I´m not able to test them here behind the sea Sad
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2008 1:38 am    

Some years back I saw Jeff play a show in which he alternated between a Carter and a Zum, and I thought they sounded almost identical. Bobby Black was on the same program, and his Carter sounded quite different from Jeff's.

I think the player's touch and the amp settings make far more difference than the brand of guitar. The truth is all three that you mentioned are fine instruments and you can't go wrong with any of them. In fact, everybody building steels today is doing it right, and you will get a fine instrument no matter what brand you buy.
Aki Paivinen

Finland
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2008 2:02 am    

Yeah, I have had really sweet sounds from my Derby (through NV 112) although it´s been a bit mocked on the forum. However, I´ve had a really nice offer on a new Carter, so I was just thinking...
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2008 2:34 am    

Hi Aki, as Mike said, the players touch and amp settings come into it, the pickup to a certain extent too. As a Carter player, I can recommend them. Flawless mechanics, light to carry, and good tone,with meticulous construction. You can't go wrong with anything Bud Carter designs.

Micky Byrne United Kingdom www.mickybyrne.com
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2008 8:53 am    

Not necessarily info concerning a comparision to Zum or Mullen, but lot's of owner feedback on Carter guitars:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=120436&highlight=

I'm a relatively new Carter owner, I'm sold... Smile
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2008 12:12 pm    

I haven't noticed Derby being mocked on the Forum. If anything, the people that own them think highly of them. I've spent a lot of time in Charlie's room at St.Louis, and have always been impressed with his guitars. As for Carter's, they are my adopted family. Bud, John & Ann are great folks, and they offer a great guitar at a reasonable price. And their website is second to none.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2008 12:23 pm    

from what i've heard and experienced, carter, zum, derby and mullen are among the finest available and up to the task of anyone's talent!
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2008 1:47 pm    

I had a Derby,was a great guitar,The ONLY reason I got rid of it,it was a S10 and I missed the 6th neck and went back to a D10,I agree I think MOST of the pro guitars today are great instruments.DYKBC.