| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tribo tone bars
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 12:37 am    

BJ Cole was just in town and he turned me on to this new sort of bar. I ordered a lap steel and pedal steel bar and played my first gig tonight with one. It seems kind of amazing so far. They are worth checking out. Much more smooth than metal. Sorta slippery feeling on the strings but easy to hold. The site describes them pretty well. A guy hand makes them in Austin. I think he is on to something.

http://www.tribotone.com/

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 2:10 am    

These Tribotone Bars are a type of plastic, perhaps similar to a plastic named Delrin. They seem to be gaining in popularity.

Roger
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 3:12 am    

How do they compare with the zirconia bars?
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 11:05 am    

Hey Bob,How hard are they?I have some yo-yos made out of Delrin and they are pretty soft,you can sratch them with your fingernail,from the photos these look harder?
Stu
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 11:05 am    

Mike,
I have never used a zirconia bar so what I do know of the differences is that you can get a Tribo tone in white or black and that the real major difference is that Tribo Tone bars have actually been made so you can buy one if you want.

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 11:26 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:

the real major difference is that Tribo Tone bars have actually been made so you can buy one if you want.

Bob, I am one of the lucky few who have a zirc bar. You can see it in my avatar.

The next time you're out here I'll let you try it out.
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 11:35 am    

Stu... yo yo's??? get back to your steel!!
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 12:27 pm    

Bo,I'm not well!..I collect. Laughing
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 12:55 pm    

Stu,
The bars feel harder than steel to me.

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 2:15 pm    

Bob, do you happen to know if they make it in anything other than 3/4" ??

Okay, I just got off the phone with Eric and he told me that he is also making 7/8" bars. His next shipment is going out 12/31/07 for those that are interested. These are made of Engineering plastics that are designed to replace metal in most applications. They are filled with some type of "exotic"(his words, not mine) metal that Eric is keeping a closely guarded secret. The number on his website is a cell phone and he told me not to hesitate to call if I had questions and offered a money back guarantee Smile

Last edited by Don Poland on 20 Dec 2007 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 2:37 pm    

Don,
I only know what is on the website. I just had BJ Cole tell me he liked these new bars so I bought a couple as a little Christmas present to myself.
They seem pretty amazing so far. I'm pretty rough on gear so I'm interested in seeing how they hold up. From reports I've gotten they seem indestructable.

Texas Republic
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 6:38 pm    

To everyone,

Well I guess I should chime in here... thanks for the support Mr. Hoffnar and I'm glad you are enjoying my work. In the end the goal of all this technical stuff has always been better music; or at least a true alternative in gear for some. There are a lot of great bars out there. Tribo-Tone bars are durable, well made, and I'm humbled by the support and feedback from the players... almost universal support from those that have played or own one.

I admit to having a 50 hour a week day job, family and baby at home, and house to maintain. I can't always answer the phone at my real job but do so often enough. The phone is with me most other times. Every bar is handmade by me from scratch. I do have standard models that I'm set up for but have made just about anything at this point.

Basil Henriques is writing the official review for my 7/8 bars (and other TT's). I'm thinking it will preview in the next "Aloha Dreams Magazine." He's been a great inspiration.

ME: I've been working on and playing Tribo-Tone bars for over 8 years now and have enjoyed every note. I love to build things, come from a family of engineers and machinists, and enjoy the work. I'll have pictures up of the 7/8 bars in January.

See you on the strings,
Eric Ebner
Tribotone designs
512-796-7375

P.S. I hope to make it to the Texas Steel Guitar Convention in March if I can get a spot. If there's a current vendor cancellation I've been told I'm in!

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 8:17 pm    

Eric,Any chance that your bars will be at the Phoenix show in Jan? Winking
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2007 1:52 pm    

One advantage not mentioned is that they feel warmer. A few weeks ago it was so cold in my sub-basement that my regular bars felt like blocks of ice, and I couldn't keep my hands warm, so I pulled out my Tribotone, and my hands warmed up again ! Very Happy

The Tribotones have been discussed on this Forum in several threads already, so members should search for them. In particular, the properties of playing in over time have been discussed in detail.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=112618&highlight=tribotone

I'm looking forward to the introduction of larger diameter bars, and of Stevens-shaped bars. When they become available I shall order them straight away.
Eric Ebner

Texas Republic
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2007 2:32 pm    

Hi Alan,

I've gotten so many comments on the bars 'feeling' warm to the touch in cold environments that I added it to my list of advantages several weeks ago. First fellow to mention it was a guy in Canada who got one of my first bars. Apparently it's a good thing.

Stu: No plans for Phoenix but I'd love to see more shows/conventions in the future.

There are several threads about Tribo-Tone on the IGS forum and the Michael Messer forum as well (talking blues section). Lots of players thoughts on their performance.

See you on the strings-
Eric

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2007 2:51 pm    

How's the sustain on a Tribo-Tone compared to a BJS?
Eric Ebner

Texas Republic
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2007 3:58 pm    

Hi Bob,

I forgot to mention I've started a "REVIEWS" section on the website: www.tribotone.com/reviews.html There are a few comments there about sustain.

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2007 7:49 pm    

Hi Eric, thanks. I checked the reviews section before I posted. Nice reviews by some well known people; very tempting product. But I was looking for that BJS reference point for comparison; if anyone has any comments they'd be welcome.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2007 7:58 pm    

If it's anything like Delrin it could be extremely hard. I have two Delrin bars that are not soft in the least. They have a sightly brighter sound than a metal bar, and MUCH lighter...but there's not much sacrifice in sustain if any at all.

Most of my bars are over 1" in diameter, and it's interesting going from a 2.5 oz Delrin to my 16 oz "Sneaky" bar...and then to a 1 oz moly-nylon bar. They all require a completely different touch ( I remember Greg Leisz and Michael Johnstone test driving the "Sneaky" and being somewhat fascinated by it.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2007 10:32 pm    

Guys these bars are designed for a 6 string instruments, most of use play 10 or 12 string, I could not use a 6 string bar, I think that would go for most as well. This is sad as it really seems like something I would try.

Last edited by A. J. Schobert on 21 Dec 2007 10:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2007 10:32 pm    

Used on an acoustic instrument, such as a Dobro or a National Tricone, they seem to cut down on the scratching of the bar on the strings, producing a much cleaner sound.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2007 12:28 am    

Quote:
Guys these bars are designed for a 6 string instruments, most of use play 10 or 12 string, I could not use a 6 string bar, I think that would go for most as well. This is sad as it really seems like something I would try.

Go back and read again...
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2007 5:24 am    

Quote:
Basil Henriques is writing the official review for my 7/8 bars (and other TT's). I'm thinking it will preview in the next "Aloha Dreams Magazine." He's been a great inspiration.

Not enough room in the December Issue to give the review the space it deserves, it WILL be in the following issue and a full three pages that will list video and audio examples posted on our site (And others) of the comparison tests.

I can say now after exhaustive comparisons that the Tribotone bars are far superior to any other bar I've used. (I've used all of the major makes and a few besides)

For the beginner who has a problem gripping the bar, they are a godsend, as they are for the player who uses the wound strings in the higher fret positions, I've never heard the wound strings sound so defined or sustain so well as when using one of these bars.

Using the E9 tuning involves surreptitious use of the "chromatic" strings and moving the bar back and forth to either include or preclude them, when making these movement quickly, a regular bar does generate some noise from the wound strings, but with the Tribotone noise doesn't even enter the equation..

Printing a quarterly magazine as we do, involves the use of one of those printers magnifiers that are used to examine the dot density of the print, using one of these HIGH power magnifiers I can see NO marks whatsoever on the surface of the bars that Pat and I have been using, so the "Red Herring" being bandied around about "Non Metallic" bars showing wear and developing grooves, belongs to materials from a different decade.

In the review I have high magnification pictures of Chrome plated, Stainless steel and Tribotone bars to compare the visible (or not) "Surface wear"

I will probably post the 3 pages of the review on the relevant guitar forums after Christmas, as to wait for the next issue of Aloha Dream may be too long.

Videos of the comparison tests WILL be posted on here via YouTube submissions.

Basil,
and Season's Greetings and good wishes to all.
Lee Bartram

Sparta, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2007 5:46 am    

i looked on the website for pricing but didn't see any? whats the ball park price? i know you cain't price new stuff on the forum but how about a ball park figure.
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2007 5:56 am    

Lee , on the site open "our tone bars" the price of each bar is there..