| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Drum Machine
Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 6:00 am    

As a seasoned veteran of the psg(all of 9 mos.) it was suggested to me to purchase a drum machine to keep me in rhythm. Since my knowledge of a drum machine is limited along with my playing ability I would appreciate any information the members could share with me. Brand name, functions, price etc. Thanks
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 7:22 am    

Joe,
Rather than mess with a drum machine, I would look into purchasing "Band in a Box". Besides drums, you can have guitar, bass, keyboards and etc. for accompaniment.
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 7:34 am    

Here is a good way to get some rhythm tracks that will help you and also help out the Steel Forum with your purchase too.
http://pedalsteelmusic.com/instruction/herbsteiner.html
Alan Kirk

Scotia, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 9:14 am    

Joe,

I use a Zoom MRT-3B drum machine, which I like much better than Alesis because its easier to program and the buttons are lighted. (I used to own an Alesis.) The zoom is very portable and can be plugged into the second channel of a guitar amp. You can't do that with Band=In-A-Box software, which I also use but not near as much as I use the Zoom.

I just happen to have a factory reconditioned Zoom I just put on eBay for $60. (You can get them new for $99.) I have another one I'm going to keep.

Working with a drum machine or metronome is the best thing you can do to improve your rhythm.

--Alan Kirk

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2007 4:12 pm     Drum Machine

Get the Zoom MRT. I had the Alesis SR 16, and while I am sure it is capable of wonderful things in the right hands, I messed with it a while and came to a fast conclusion that it was going to take a lot of time to learn to program it. I didn't want to spend a lot of time learning to do it. I sold it and got the Zoom and even I can operate it. Band in a Box is great, but just to quickly sit down and practice timing, the Zoom is just really user friendly and you don't have to have a computer or program in chords or anything. The Band in a Box is for making tracks, the Zoom is for drums only and is small, portable and just easy to use.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2007 3:43 am    

I have a Boss DR550 and a couple of old Yamahas from the 80's (creak...) and it really doesn't make that much difference, until you get to the point where you'll be recording tracks with them. You can track down the older machines for $40 or less, but it's best to just get something.... Drum machines do make practicing a lot more fun and provide a real method for improving technique, a metronome can do the same thing but they're easy to start HATING - click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click....
Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2007 4:12 am     Drum Machine

Thanks to you all for the replys. Newbys often go in the wrong direction to get where they want to be, and I am no exception. You have each given food for thought and I will probably go with a drum machine for now. I am sure I will go a BIAB in the future,but for now I will do the Zoom MRT 3B.
As for the suggestion about my #1 PSG hero Brother Herb Steiner, I have most of his instruction packs and am still learning a great deal from them. The only problem with them is that I want to be able to slow the beat down for my elderly rate of practice.
Erv, I am still working on the gospel tabs I got from you and Thank you for offering the music, you have a great ministry.
Thank you again for the help, Joe
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2007 6:21 am     Drum Machine

You want to slow the CD tracks down and keep them in the same key? Get the Tascam GT-1 guitar trainer. Also, you can select any part of the CD and the GT-1 will repeat it over and over in a loop. Less than $150.00 new from Guitar Center and less than $100.00 on ebay.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2007 8:28 am    

I have two of the Zoom MRT 3B units and love 'em. I use it a lot at home but more importantly, I do a regular Saturday gig at a local restaurant with a bass player & rhythm guitarist and we use it as we don't have room for a real drummer. It plays any type of beat we need and the way the dance floor is filled, I think it does a helluva job........JH in Va.

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2007 11:34 am    

I have used three different drum machines and now have the Boss DR-880. I think it excels for recording and custom pattern generation even though I have access to all sorts of software drum pattern generators.

For what you are intending to use it for, I think Band In The Box is by far the best solution. Hundreds of pre-recorded songs are available and you can change the tempo and the key easily. There is a huge user community out here and a simple request or a quick search will yield almost any song you can imagine.

Greg

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 26 Nov 2007 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dale Gray

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2007 11:38 am     Band in a Box-Free

You can try BIAB free for a few weeks, just do a google search, and download the free version to try out. Dale

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2007 6:47 pm     HI

jERRY I FIGGERED OUT ALMOST ALL THE SONGS, THE ONES WITH THE FUNNY LETTERS MUST BE SONGS i DON'T KNOW ANYWAY. lAST NIGHT i PROGRAMED IN ALL THE TRACKS THAT WERE EMPTY.
It's now or never, sweet dreams. I just used the paterns in the billy carr book and it was easy. I am going to transfer them to CD and then do new songs. etc. I love it, thanks my SR 16 has been shelved for now.
There are a lot of these on sale on the net for little money, and they can sound like an ochestra if you take the time.Ken Fox opened the way for me in about an hour.
He did some things with his and it sounds like a big band behind him, it just takes time.

These Boss DR 5 machines are not rocket science just takes learning to use them. They are well worth the money. When I first got it I said never can I do it.
4 songs in 1 evening.

ernie
James Harrison

New Brockton, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2007 8:31 pm    

Where can I get Keypad Buttons for a Zoom Rhythm Trak RT 123? My number 1, 3, and 5 Buttons are defective. They don't make good contact. Is there anything you can recoat the back of the Buttons to renew them?