| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Look What I Found on eBay - Lots Of Pictures
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2007 1:50 pm    

Look what I found. I'm sure it's worth the $400 I'm paying for it but does anyone have any other information?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160174704044&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com

Last edited by Gary Shepherd on 23 Nov 2007 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Chet Wilcox

Illinois, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2007 2:15 pm    

Gary, the body and endplats and pedals look like Emmons, and so do some of the parts I think you got a pretty good deal
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2007 5:04 pm    

I'm certain that I got a good deal - even if the guitar doesn't play. Surely the part are worth the price. The volume pedal alone should fetch $100.
gs

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2007 5:20 am    

I'd say you did okay! It's a 4+3 "loafer", with a few minor issues (missing stud on a pedal, some bent rods). Looks like a p/p, but it's hard to tell from the photos. It's in good shape, and looks like a well-made "homebrew" guitar.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2007 5:22 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I'd say you did okay! It's a 4+4 "loafer", with a few minor issues (missing stud on a pedal, some bent rods). Looks like a p/p, but it's hard to tell from the photos. It's in good shape, and looks like a well-made "homebrew" guitar.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2007 6:03 am    

Gary, you flat stole it. Congrats.

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2007 6:27 am     What's it?

Congrats on a good find. The spring stops on the crossrods (at the bottom of the underside pic) look like Miller parts but those are the only Miller looking parts I see there (maybe the pedals and bar too but not sure).
Regards
Harvey.
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2007 12:45 pm    

The guitar showed up today. It does appear to be a home made guitar but also seems to have many commercial parts. The neck is a nice machined aluminum neck with a glued on fret board. The bellcranks all look to be home made and are not very adjustable. Most of them have only one slot but then how many do you need. I haven't set up the guitar - it just got here a few minutes ago but I did tune up the strings and the tuners are quite nice. The key head appears to be made of steel, as are many of the other parts.

The changer is in fact a push/pull mechanism - the first one I've ever really looked at. What an excellent idea that is. Some of the parts need to be tightened up a little but it looks like the guitar will play fine as is. I bought this guitar on a whim and actually by accident. I didn't expect to win the auction so cheap. I do plan to resell the guitar - anyone looking for an SD-10 with 3 pedals and 4 knees?

I'll post some pictures later and let you know how it sounds after I restring it and tune up some things.

www.16tracks.com
Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2007 12:54 pm    

I might know someone who'd be interested in it.

Casey
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 4:14 am    

Didn't I see 4 pedals? Looks like the fourth one has the ball missing.
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 12:27 pm    

One of the connectors is on the rod in stead of on the pedal. No big deal.

www.16tracks.com
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 8:05 pm    

I finally set up the guitar today. Strange!! There's no D string. 9 is a B that would normally be string #10. String #10 goes all the way down to a low E.

Yes there are 4 pedals but the first one (furthest left) is not connected to anything on the changer - which happens to be push-pull changer. Don't people like the push-pull guitars? I've heard that but I don't know why.

There are 4 knee levers and they are arranged in a way that I've never seen. But that's understandable considering the tuning on this guitar. LKL lowers string 2 from D# to D. LKR raises #4 from E to E# but doesn't touch string 8. RKL lowers #4 from E to D# but doesn't touch string 8. And finally RKR lowers #7 from F# to F. Yes I said F# to F.

The pedals are in the Day setup - sort of. As I said, P1 doesn't do anything. P2 raises the G# strings to A. P3 raises strings 5 and 9 from B to C#. Remember, string 10 is a low E and string 9 is B. Lastly, P4 lowers string 5 from B to Bb. It doesn't move the other B string but there is another bellcrank on the cross shaft.

This guitar could be played just as it is right now but I suppose that more advanced players would be missing a few things. When I bid on this thing on eBay, I really didn't expect to win it. I checked my email one morning before school and I had an outbid notice on my bid (the first of the auction) of $324.99. I figured I'd put in a bid of $400.01 an plan on being outbid soon. I came home from school that day (on my lunch break) and when I checked my email, I had won.

I really had intended to sell the guitar for a quick little profit. But.... as I'm getting into machining now, and I've been planning to build a pedal steel anyway, I think I might just try to refinish this guitar. What do you think?

I can create all the small parts like bellcranks with no/few problems. I can replace all the pullrods with new ones. I can mill some new pedals that are more to my liking. I think the ones on this guitar are really ugly. Never did care for these old looking ones. I can remove the pedal bar and shine it up or replace it with some new aluminum channel. The end plates can come off and go through a good buffing, etc...

Anybody have any ideas, suggestions, tips, questions, comments, etc for me on this?

I'll take some pictures in a few minutes and post them here. You full time restorers can give me some opinions.

www.16tracks.com
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 8:49 pm    

Ok here are the pictures I promised.

www.16tracks.com
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 8:54 pm    

And more...

www.16tracks.com
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 8:59 pm    

I hope these are not too big for you monitors.

www.16tracks.com
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 9:03 pm    

www.16tracks.com
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 9:07 pm    

www.16tracks.com
jim flynn

Salado,Texas
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 12:16 pm     play it!!!

Gary, Congrats on your buy.
The pics are fantastic. If I were you I would clean up the little things,like the radii of the wire at the changer, polish everything, set it up like you want and play the heck out of it. I looks solid and well thought out, probably sounds great.
You got a good deal on this one,
Jim
Ron !

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 1:58 pm    

I agree with Jim here.Not a bad buy.Most parts(when you buy them new) will be lots more then that.
End-Plates look pretty good.Nice changer BTW.Looks like it's home made.

Nice home made P/P......GOOD BUY Gary......

Ron
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 2:04 pm    

Does anyone recognize the fretboard?

And to me it looks like something is milling from the top view of the changer area. Especially on the end plate site. Anyone know for sure?

www.16tracks.com
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 2:05 pm    

For that matter, does anyone know who built this guitar? Maybe the builder can give some more insights into its design and possibly give tips for making it better.

www.16tracks.com