| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic

Who is your favorite country-rock band of the late-60s/early-70s?
Poco
19%
 19%  [ 30 ]
Flying Burrito Brothers
32%
 32%  [ 50 ]
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Gene Clark
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
New Riders of the Purple Sage
19%
 19%  [ 30 ]
Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen
22%
 22%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 153

Author Topic:  Favorite Country-Rock band of the late-60s/early-70s?
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 12:08 pm    

I have been an avid fan of country-rock music for years, and it is the genre that pushed me into becoming a pedal steel guitar player. Just curious which band is the most highly thought of here.....of course, the list I provide isn't all inclusive, but I feel is representative of the major forces in country rock during the late-'60s/early-'70s.

My main criteria for inclusion is a) more than one LP release and b) a pedal steel guitarist in the band. Gene Clark is an exception, since he's not a "band." The Byrds technically only did one album of country-rock, so they are not included. The Allmans, Charlie Daniels, Eagles, Dirt Band, Pure Prairie League etc. are not considered since they had no steel player. (Plus, I don't think of any of them as "country-rock" but more "Southern Rock" or "Bluegrass Rock" or "Soft Rock" depending on the band).

I don't know how you'd define Commander Cody, but they did rock out, so I put them on rather than leave them off. And I think Buck and the Buckaroos really helped laid the ground for the country-rock movement.....so I added them, too. Smile

Just trying to keep the list reasonable...... Very Happy I am very sorry if I left someone off that everyone really felt should be here.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 12:18 pm    

when I used to be an apartment painter we used to play Pure Praire League tapes WAZZZZUP?
Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 1:32 pm     Marshall Tucker Band too...

I'd have to give a vote to the Marshall Tucker Band as Toy also played Steel on their recordings and in concert. Country rock, country jazz, country blues and country music at it's finest for the time period.
Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 2:20 pm    

Pure Prairie League and the Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

Last edited by Bob Grado on 1 Jan 2007 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 2:31 pm     Eagles

Glenn Frey(sp) played pedal steel on the Eagles recordings and in concert. The Eagles (to me) were one of the best bands ever for country-country rock.
Colby Tipton

Crosby, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 2:52 pm    

Dogtooth Violet, Jeff Petterson I think on steel guitar. Edited to paste this, I'll get more soon.

In 1973, Bob and Joe formed Houston’s seminal country rock band, Dogtooth Violet. Their high energy shows garnered both critical acclaim and a loyal following, and their record is a highly coveted collector’s item. They opened for greats such as Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings, and would regularly pack the Texas Opry House, Liberty Hall, Miller Outdoor Theater, the Sweetheart of Texas and Rockefeller’s (to name a few). They continued to compose, perform and tour in various configurations and capacities. Edited to add this from Peavey's web site.
Jeff Peterson In 1975 Jeff bought first steel guitar and later that year became a full time player. In 1976 he moved to Houston, Texas where he played with various local hands, most notably Dogtooth Violet and Fat Cat. In 1977 he started recording at various studios throughout Houston. Some artists he's played with: Margo Smith, Freddy Fender, Noel Haggard, Johnny Bush, Rhonna Reeves, Freddie Hart, B.W. Stephenson, Jett Williams.

Colby

Last edited by Colby Tipton on 1 Jan 2007 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Duve

Limestone .New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 3:08 pm    

Looks like someone else watched Buck Owens all night NY eve too, I saw some real greats of steeldom there, a lot younger but you know, how many did you recognize ?
Colby Tipton

Crosby, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 3:47 pm    

I came back to vote on the choices you have. Man I could tell you some stories about them days, I don't want to mess up your thread so my vote is POCO. I'll start another thread about them days. Thats what I will call it "Them Days".
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 10:38 pm     can't play faves... too hard

good topic, but a tough one to answer.

Joe, are you trying to say that the Byrds' Ballad Of Easy Rider LP is not country-rock?.. big call.

Pure Prairie League are not considered since they had no steel player?... what about John David Call on the early albums.

Marlin, Al Perkins played pedal steel on the early Eagles albums, while Bernie Leadon played stringerbender guitar, then Don Felder later played slide and I guess non-pedal steel.
Not Glenn Frey.
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 4:59 am    

I guess since the first incarnation of the Burritos featured three ex-Byrds, one can always vote for the Burritos if the Byrds was their favorite? Laughing

Jason, when I saw your name I knew I was in trouble. You are right about John David Call....Pure Prairie League should have been included.

I did not list the Byrds or Eagles as neither had a pedal steel playing member of the band.
Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 6:04 am    

Don't for get that steel player Al Brisco
played on the Pure Prairie League LP
Called "Bustin' Out".
It was recorded in the RCA studios in Toronto.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 6:32 am    

Well I was pretty hung up on the NRPS and Pure Prarie League..but it was and still is POCO, but I gave up on them after Tim left the band . For me it was about Richie, Jimmy, Tim , George and Rusty..who I am still a big fan of.

I was listening to some POCO tunes on Rhapsody yesterday..some of it is timeless...ROOTS I guess...

t
Jason Odd

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 7:17 am     criteria works for me

Joe, I think it's a fair call, we are after all on the steel guitar forum.
Michael Clark

Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 7:46 am     Indiana Country Rock Roots

Joe, Good list, loved a lot of those bands, got me interested in Pedal Steel. But us Indiana guys had to be into Mason Proffitt with John Talbot on steel , they were a major infleunce on a lot of people. Also my old friends The Wright Brothers , they had two killer steel players Tim Wright and Rex Thomas.

(Also, but not from Indiana..... Barefoot Jerry)

Michael Clark
www.myspace.com/michaelclarkmusic
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 9:13 am    

if it weren't for POCO I doubt I'd be a steel player.

My life course changed completely upon hearing "Pickin' up the Pieces"
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 9:19 am    

Joe,and Jason.. Bernie Leadon did play pedal steel on the song "My Man"it's about Graham Parsons and is on the Eagles "On the Border" album,Stu
Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 9:37 am    

Jason, Thanks for the correction. My bad. Don Felder is playing a Sho-Bud on my Eagles DVD (the first one released). It appears to be a pedal and knee lever guitar...however the close up of him playing it shows him using no finger picks. Felder played a B-Bender about as good as anyone I've ever heard or seen.

Makes me wonder if the Doobie Brothers could be included? They had some real country sounding recordings too and John McFee(sp?) played some nice steel too. "South City Midnight Lady" had some nice steel on it as well as some other songs.
Mark Lind-Hanson

Menlo Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 12:08 pm    

I vote for the NRPS. I'd feel guilty if I didn't. (besides, they're trailing)

I never saw them with Garcia- in fact the first time I did, they played without ANY steel player.
Marmaduke wrote some pretty cool songs, and they had a pretty good run I think up til they were signed by MCA... after that it was generally downhill. But Skip Battin gave them a good shot in the arm while he was there.
...& Buddy Cage rocks- what else is there to say?
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 12:35 pm    

I have to say Commander Cody, since nobody has yet! Bobby Black played great stuff with them, and they rocked the hardest of any of 'em! Tightest ensemble sound, too. Great rhythm section. And most versatile, with fiddle and sax added to the mix. And Bill Kirchen was, and is, killer on Telecaster. Vocals weren't the greatest, but I don't care about that so much. Smile
Burritos were great in a completely different way, and I love Sneaky Pete's utterly unique playing.
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 2:55 pm    

Asleep at the Wheel...
Lucky Oceans!!!!!!!!!!
The man is a killer!!!!!!
Thanks Rueben Exclamation
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 3:52 pm    

Steve, you're right. Asleep At the Wheel should be added to the list!
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 3:59 pm    

I, of course, love AATW, but never really considered them a "country-rock" band in the same sense as the other groups under discussion here. They were more of a retro-, Bob Wills revival band, keeping alive a subgenre of country music that already existed. Whereas, 'country-rock' bands were adding country flavors to rock music. (I think of 'country-rock' as a contraction of 'country-flavored ROCK music', whereas today's commercial country is really 'ROCK-flavored country music' (maybe should be called 'rock-country' music?))

BUT: I think the BIG omission from this list is: THE BYRDS. Sheesh! These guys basically STARTED the genre...

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 2 Jan 2007 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 4:16 pm    

Yeah...you really can't leave out The Byrds-even the album before Sweetheart, the Notorious Byrd Brothers-had some country rock flavored stuff. Anyone interested in this stuff should read the John Einarson book "Desperado" (The Origins of Country Rock), I hope I have the title correct.

As for Gene Clark, I loved his music-he was really gifted-and died too young-he seemed to have a plethora of problems. A real shame-he left us with some great stuff though. I voted for him on Joe's poll, just so he could land at least a couple votes!
Jason Odd

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 4:30 pm    

It's Gram Parsons short for Ingram, not Graham.
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 5:12 pm    

Jason:I never claimed to be a good speller...Eagles still had a guy who played steel in the band..Stu