| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old Session 400
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2006 8:23 am    

I found a killer deal on an old Session 400 the other day and since my Evans is out of commission, I went ahead and got it. This thing sounds GREAT and aside from a little dust and light rust on the corners, it looks like new! The only problem was, the reverb tank was dead so I stole the reverb tank out of my Deuce for last nights gig. Turns out there's just a broke lead on the other tank, so I can fix that.

Does anyone know how to figure the date on one of these? I called Peavey but Mike wasn't in and the lady I talked to didn't have any idea. This one has the silk screened front panel and instead of having the usual 2 chassis mount straps on the top of the amp, it has 4 individial washer/grommets. The knobs are smooth all the way around (the big aluminum ones) and it has a JBL M35-4 speaker. Anyone know the power handing on the M35?

Thanks y'all
David
Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2006 8:39 am    

From what I know about Session 400's the one you have is from about 1975 to 1980 or so.After that they had a plastic face plate with colored knobs and a Black Widow speaker.I've always felt the first edition with the JBL speaker had a better tone.
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2006 9:34 am    

Hmm, I thought I had seem a pic somewhere of a '76 with a plastic faceplate. I could be mistaken. Maybe it'll end up being a '74? Who knows. Either way, a great amp! PLanning on doing the film cap upgrades as listed on Brad Sarno's page.
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2006 10:16 am    

I think the last two digits of the serial number are the year of mfg. My serial number end's in 75 and I bought it new in 1975, with the Peavey/JBL 15". At that time, you could get it with 2 12's also. I've put a lot of miles on mine, even fell off a loading dock once, but the original Session 400 is still the best steel amp ever. IMHO
JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2006 8:46 am    

I'd guess it's a 1974 with a few add-ons. Not sure which year the faceplate went to plastic...75 or 76? I have a 1974 that I bought new. It has smooth knobs and metal faceplate. I have a 1976 with plastic faceplate. The back panel will have a model # plate eg: 4A-0000. The 4A depicts 1974. 5A-0000 is a 1975.
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2006 8:51 am    

Ah ha! Mystery Solved! Mine is a 75 then. I'm guessing early 75 because of the smooth knobs? My Deuce is newer and has the slightly smaller knobs with notches in them.
Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2006 8:56 am    

Hopefully Mike Brown will see this thread and give us some info on manufacture dates.....my info is all wrong and I'm curious to know what years 400's were produced and in what variation.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2006 9:49 am    

Not exactly sure, but I think the first Session 400's were sold in 1974. Mine has a late 1973 (can't remember the month) stamped inside the circuit board chassis. But, sales started 1974. Not sure when they switched to the Session 400 limited? Maybe 1981? Try the Session400 Geek website by Brad Sarno. I think there is info there.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 2:20 am    

David, post the SN as that will identify the chassis. The Story concerning the JBL's is that they blew early in life and could not handle the power that the BW handle. My S-200 chassis is a 78 but looks exactly like a 74..

Mike Brown will respond very quickly by EMAIL or right here on the forum.

I saw an old S-400 in one of the P-shops in Rock hill not long ago, is this the one you came across ? It was very clean with the grey JBL...

good luck

t
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 7:05 am    

Howdy Tony, that's the one! The SN is A5-66422. The vent on this speaker looks like a K series, but it's grey like a D. It sounds good. I went ahead and rotated it 180 degrees before I really put the juice to it, just to be on the safe side. I may yank the Black Widder out of the Evans while the Chassis is in the shop and see how it sounds. I can't believe how clean this thing is. Looks like it was hardley gigged. If you want to check out our schedule, it's at www.brettgreer.net.

Take Care
David
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 5:53 pm    

Opened up the Chassis to check a few things out and the date inside is Apr 01 1975. While I was in there, I noticed the filter caps are leaking electrolytic stuff. Oh well, at least we're off this weekend, so I'll have plenty of tine to correct that.
Dick Phillips

Brownsville, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 12:31 am    

I had a 1976 Session 400 that I bought new. It had the JBL speaKER IN IT.USED IT FOR ABOUT 25 YEARS TRAVELING. i SOLD IT TO A FRIEND OF MINE AND HE RECOVERED IT. iT LOOKS LIKE NEW, AND STILL SOUNDS GOOD. i NOW HAVE TWO nASHVILLE 400'S, BUT i WILL HAVE TO SAY THAT THE TONE OF THE sESSION WITH THE jbl SPEAKER CAN'T BE BEAT.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 10:07 am    

'Anyone know where to set the shift at to cut 800hz?
What are your typical tone settings?
Thx,
Pete B.

The manual for this amp:
http://www.peavey.com/search.cfm?c=3&lang=&term=session+400
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 2:43 pm    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=64794&highlight=

Pete, that's a link to some info Brad Sarno provided.

I set the shift, mid and bass full clockwise (10), and presence and treble between 10 and 12 o'clock (3 and 5). Seems odd, but it works for me.

Edited to add: after looking at the info in Brad's analysis again, I seem to be somewhere near flat with Shift and Mid on 10... hmm...
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 3:19 pm    

800hz should be about the same position as a Nashville, around 1:00. Mid cut should be popular around 8:00 to 9:00. Start with your presence and treble about 12:00 and adjust to taste. Bass around 3:00. This should get you in the ball park. Your pickup winding will also be a factor.
This is o'clock settings.
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 4:37 pm    

Interesting, these are about the same settings I came up with this weekend. The shift at about 6, mid at around 9:00. The treble and presence I had set around 12:00. I'll try some of these other settings and see what works!
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 12:17 pm     Session 400

David, your amp is a 1975 as indicated by the "5A(as opposed to A5)" prefix in the serial number. As I remember, the very first Session 400 had the smooth aluminum knobs on them, then were later replaced with the aluminum knob that had the black circular stick on center on them.

Our records indicate that the original schematic for the Session 400 was drawn by Jack Sondermeyer, who was our chief engineer at that time and approved by Hartley Peavey in Oct.1974.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 1:01 pm     Jack Sondermeyer

Hi Mike, is Jack still around? I had the opportunity to meet him back in the late 70's or early 80's during a Peavey factory training seminar. Brilliant guy...