| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reissue Stringmaster Tuners??
Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2004 9:44 am    

FYI,

A while back someone emailed Fender about reissuing the 4 on a strip Kluson Tuners found on Stringmasters. Of course they have no plans to do so because they did not manufacture them in the first place. I emailed the current Kluson company about whether they could be special ordered or their plans to manufacture them in the future. I received a very nice email (on Christmas Day no less) that they know about these tuners and eventually do have plans to make them but no dates. They also said that in order to do a custom order, they have to run 1000 sets of a model to introduce them.. This is good news but 1000 tuners is a lot of tuners in such a small market. What do you think the chances are of selling 1000 of these?

Harry
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2004 10:35 am    

That was me, Harry. And while I did at least receive a courteous response from Fender, they were no help.
So - 1,000 units . .
I'll take 8, that leaves 992. Gary Boyett might be interested in a couple just in case his "new" 56 D8 ever pops a tuner. There are quite a few Stringmaster players out there - I bet if you had 1,000 of them they would all sell eventually.

------------------

Rick Alexander
57 Fender Stringmaster T8, Rickenbacker BD6
Music Man & Peavey Amps
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2004 11:19 am    

Here's that thread if anyone is interested - it's a dandy! http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/005591.html

Harry, does 1,000 units mean 1,000 pairs or singles? The bass side 4in line assembly is bass ackwards from the treble side, although it's basically the same deal. So if they would do 500 of each to meet the 1,000 minimum - that would actually be just 500 pairs to market . .

Either way, you could wind up being a hero to countless dozens. SAVE THE STRINGMASTERS!!
Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2004 1:42 pm    

Carvin used 4 on a strip Kluson deluxe tuners on their steels.
Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2004 3:04 pm    

Sorry Rick but I have no plans to finance 1000 sets of tuners but I would purchase a couple if they were available. In fact, if they were done right, I bet most people would replace the originals with new ones and save the old ones for resale originality since there is no modification of the guitar needed to install them. This is just an FYI letting people know there may be some available in the future if there is a market. I would think there must be several hundred needed right now and it would be nice if there were some available for the future as these guitars will likely be around for a very long time.

Harry
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2004 4:53 pm    

Quote:
I would think there must be several hundred needed right now and it would be nice if there were some available for the future as these guitars will likely be around for a very long time.

I couldn't agree more. Somebody (not me either) could probably make a few buckeroos if they did do the entrepreneur thing - not that profit should be the main objective by any means, but for all that effort and considerable initial expenditure some recompense is deserved. Either way, I would sure like to see replacement tuners become available. The other alternative of robbing "parts" guitars is not a good one, but sometimes a steeler's gotta do what a steeler's gotta do.

In the meantime, there is one other way to go. Jeff McCurry jmccurry@mmind.net fixes busted tuners. I believe he charges $50 plus parts per set. I would go that way before I'd rob that pretty '60 Walnut T8 sitting in the corner. But so far that set I bought from you a few months ago is holding up just fine - so I thank you and the '60 T8 thanks you too . .

Anyway, that is great news Harry and it offers hope for Stringmaster Players everywhere!

[This message was edited by Rick Alexander on 26 December 2004 at 05:00 PM.]

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2004 1:40 am