| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap Steel & the Blues - Again
Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 2:52 pm    

I had a great time playing the lap steel in a blues style again this weekend. I helped a local Arts guild put on a concert this weekend with Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin with the Matt Hill Blues Band.
Bob Margolin played in Muddy Water's band for about 8 years before Muddy died. Our band (MHBB)opened the show, then acted as Bob's backup band. It was a fun night of music. I played almost all lap steel during Margolin's set. You can see some pictures of the show at http://community.webshots.com/user/keefriff .

[This message was edited by Terry VunCannon on 22 November 2004 at 02:56 PM.]

Michael Devito

Montclair, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 6:02 am    

Terry: That sounds like a whole lot of fun. Last time I saw Bob M. he backed Billy Boy Arnold in a wild night of music at the Stanhope house in NJ.

Would love to see you play sometime. Do you guys ever get up north?
Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 7:23 am    

Hi Michael, It was a lot of fun. Bob is such a great guy, & is really a kick-a** player. He had just flew in from a short Swiss tour, & said he was truely a man without a time zone, because a week before that he had been on a tour of the land down under.
Right now, most of our playing in the Matt Hill band is in the NC, VA area. We are going to Memphis in Feb. 05 for the International Blues Challenge after winning the Piedmont Blues Society Talent Contest. We are looking forward to that, I think Margolin is booked in Memphis that week 4 or 5 nights, we plan on spending some time with him if time allows. It is a big blues week with over 90 bands competeing in the IBC.
The lap steel is made for the blues, and getting to play in a concert enviroment with Bob was such a treat!!!

[This message was edited by Terry VunCannon on 23 November 2004 at 07:25 AM.]

[This message was edited by Terry VunCannon on 25 November 2004 at 06:27 AM.]

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 10:34 am    

Ohh Terry I'm green with envy! I love Bob Margolin's playing. He's the closest thing to playing with Muddy himself. Congrats!

Funny that this came up, last week I was working up some lapsteel licks to Hootchi-Coochi Man.

------------------
Half-assed bottleneck and lap slide player. Full-assed Builder of resonator instruments.
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 4:09 pm    

I remember seeing Bob playing with Muddy back in the late 70s. It was in Toronto in a nightclub (I forget the name of it) The band sounded wonderful, and I guess it must have been a slow night because I got to sit and talk with Muddy for a while. He was very gracious and easy to talk with, and I do remember him remarking about how pleased he was with Bob's playing. Bob kind of stood out from the rest of the band, as he was by far the biggest guy and was sporting a ponytail . .

------------------
Rick Alexander
57 Fender Stringmaster T8, 57 Fender Champ, Remington Steelmaster D8, 47 National New Yorker - Music Man and Peavey Amps . .