| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sons of Hawaii DVD
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 2:56 pm    

http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2984.htm

There's a new DVD out! I wonder if it contains a lot of good footage of David Rogers? If someone out there has seen it, please give us a review. I'm sure it will be a wonderful documentary...the Sons of Hawaii was one of my favorite groups.

[This message was edited by Jeff Strouse on 14 November 2004 at 09:22 AM.]

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 4:03 pm    

I haven't seen it yey but I'd sure like to if it includes Feet - one of my all-time favorites. This film was produced by Sons of Hawaii member Eddie Kamae and his wife Myrna so it's from the people who know the story best. http://starbulletin.com/2002/10/28/features/story6.html

[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 13 November 2004 at 04:07 PM.]

Gary Anwyl

Palo Alto, CA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 10:44 pm    

I saw the documentary a few years ago. As I recall it didn't contain much archival footage of the Sons of Hawaii. I'm pretty sure there was no footage of "Feet" Rodgers.

Mostly it consisted of interviews with the surviving members of the Sons of Hawaii and others associated with the group (e.g record producers, the guy who did the art for their "Folk Music of Hawaii" album, etc). The interviews all seemed to take place about the time the film was made, which was the late 90's. It did a good job telling the story of the formation of the group. There were lots of anecdotes about Gabby and the other members of the group.
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 10:51 pm    

I saw it also... there is actually some footage of Feet, albeit a clip only a few seconds long. The camera is right up to his left side...Feet's stand is so rickety it looks as though his bakelite is going to fly off at any moment.