| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Piezo pickup for a Weissenborn
Bill Blacklock

Powell River, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2004 2:24 pm    

Has anyone had good results with a McIntrye feather or Shatten dualie pickup in there Weissenborn and if so do you think it would make any deference in a baritone instrument?

Thank you / Bill
Dwight Mark

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2004 1:19 pm    

I used to use the Pickup the World pickup on my weissenborn, which was great in quieter settings, but tended to get woofy and feedback when I played with a band.
Since then, I put a K&K in my Martin guitar and had great results. So I decided to try a K&K pure western mini on my Weissenborn.
The results were great. I hestitate to say awesome, because I seem to change my mind with this stuff as time goes by, but I've played this out live without the magnetic pickup in stereo(which I normally do) and it sounds great. I can't speak for it out of the mains, because I was onstage with a monitor. But at home through my P.A., I was shocked how big the bass notes were without being muddy... I tune mine down to a low C, so the tight big bass was a very nice plus.

Has anyone else tried a K&K on their Weissenborn? They seem to be the hot pickup for the Martin guitar players... I wound up buying one of their pickups for my Ukulele and also had good results on stage.

Dwight www.dwightmark.com
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2004 1:43 pm    

I still haven't decided what pickup to put in my Lazy River Weiss, other than it has to be as 'acoustic' as possible, I can use the Asher for fake-acoustic in loud band settings.
So maybe I'll give the K&K a chance...

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Chuck Fisher

Santa Cruz, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2004 4:51 pm    

Don Reutnik and I have been discussing piezo types, and WHERE to place them and with WHAT (hide glue, superglue, epoxy, double-stick, etc) Anything soft or rubbery will affect frequency response cutting highs...

Then the biggy, where do you put it, anyone have ideas or tricks on that? (like temporary mounting to find a "sweet spot" )

very curious,
CF

ps does the Fishman rare earth with the built-in condenser mic sound good? I assume it mutes the top like all the soundhole-mount magnetics do.

[This message was edited by Chuck Fisher on 05 September 2004 at 07:27 PM.]

Dwight Mark

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 10:21 am    

I'll be interested in hearing the Fishman as well. I think my luthier might have put the K&K sensors somewhere just behind the bridgeplate, because they would hit the pins otherwise. He used the K&K pure western mini. One thing to note, you can use the temporary rubber cement which is not as loud or bassy - otherwise it's superglue. There's lots of discussion on the Martin Guitar Forum over these pickups. My luthier originally used the cement on my Martin and I gave it back to him and told him to go for it an glue it...