| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chrome legs ?
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2004 9:33 am    

I just acquired a mint 1951 NATIONAL double 8. It's a real beauty which I'm positive was never played professionally. Problem: NATIONAL did not include legs with this model prior to 1954. I would like to obtain 4 legs along with the flanges the legs screw into as cheaply as possible. Any suggestions ?
Michael Misetich

Irving, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2004 11:23 am    

I have a 1952 National Grand Console, without legs in excellent condition. I purchased it for $45 at a pawn shop in Portland,Or many years ago when I was a teenager taking non-pedal steel lessons.

I had always wanted to put legs on the guitar.
A few months ago I purchased four Fender style leg sockets from Bobbe Seymour. I took the guitar and sockets to a local, very creative retired machinist who builds and repairs pedal/non-pedal steels)to determine if he could put legs on the National. Initially, he thought the sockets could be recessed into the wood without too much trouble and the rest would be relatively easy. However, we never got that far.

His principal concern was the strength of the joints between the center piece and the two necks. He couldn't tell if dowels were used in construction or if the three pieces of wood were simply glued together. After 52 years, the joints on my National did not look very strong (You can slide a business card in between some of the joints). Since my friend had just repaired (actually completely re-engineered)the leg sockets on my Gibson Console Grande (after the necks began to separate at the seam)we decided to leave well enough alone.

While the National is relatively light, I did not want to run the risk of damaging a guitar I have owned for over 40 years.

If you decide to continue with your project, the fender style sockets which fit standard, adjustable pedal steel legs are a viable option.

We may have just been over cautious.
Michael Misetich

Irving, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2004 11:25 am    

I have a 1952 National Grand Console, without legs in excellent condition. I purchased it for $45 at a pawn shop in Portland,Or many years ago when I was a teenager taking non-pedal steel lessons.

I had always wanted to put legs on the guitar.
A few months ago I purchased four Fender style leg sockets from Bobbe Seymour. I took the guitar and sockets to a local, very creative retired machinist who builds and repairs pedal/non-pedal steels)to determine if he could put legs on the National. Initially, he thought the sockets could be recessed into the wood without too much trouble and the rest would be relatively easy. However, we never got that far.

His principal concern was the strength of the joints between the center piece and the two necks. He couldn't tell if dowels were used in construction or if the three pieces of wood were simply glued together. After 52 years, the joints on my National did not look very strong (You can slide a business card in between some of the joints). Since my friend had just repaired (actually completely re-engineered)the leg sockets on my Gibson Console Grande (after the necks began to separate at the seam)we decided to leave well enough alone.

While the National is relatively light, I did not want to run the risk of damaging a guitar I have owned for over 40 years.

If you decide to continue with your project, the fender style sockets which fit standard, adjustable pedal steel legs are a viable option.

We may have just been over cautious.
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2004 11:59 am    

Leg sockets are available as stated above and would have to be recessed. Depending how handy you are, they could be set in by hand or routered with a template if need be. If you wanted to save some money on legs, use aluminum tubing and pieces of threaded rod for the ends, probably 1/2-13. Some rubber feet which Home Depot has, and you're all set. Adjustable legs are also available at Bobbies. There happen to be Fender legs/sockets right now on Ebay. As far as the guitar structurally sound enough for legs, that you will have to decide. I'm a shop teacher and can help if you have further questions. Ron
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2004 1:06 pm    

Congratulations George, I always liked those
Nationals with their very pretty design.
Last year I directed one to a student of mine. It was also a D8 and had THREE chrome legs, nice pickups and a great sounding instrument,,,ready to play!!
I would suggest you talk to Wayne Link and Joe Delaronde out there. They both do fabulous work,,and I say that from experience with both. If it were mine I would not want to "route" into that instrument at all, but rather use brackets on the surface of the bottom ,,that when removed would leave no signs of modification.
I know that sounds impossible but I bettcha
Wayne could do it.
I still have the picture you sent of all the instruments you own. Quite a truck load!!
This new acquisition must be going in the bedroom.
Roy
Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2004 4:33 pm    

I have 4 National Dynamics, & 2 of them have legs. I use a keyboard X-stand almost all of the time instead of the legs when I want to stand. It seems to be more sturdy. Why not try an X-stand & you will not have to alter your instrument.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2004 5:12 pm    

There are FOUR (4) for sale on eBay right now! Good Luck to you.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2004 4:48 pm    

George
Listen to Ray..if you dont get these,you wont
have a leg to stand on

I know for a fact that Ray is a "leg man"
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2004 5:30 pm    

Speaking of legs; I used to know this one legged, Oriental bartender.......but dratt, I can't recall her name?
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2004 9:40 pm    

Reminds me of the termite who wandered into the saloon and asked, is that bar tender ?"

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 04 July 2004 at 10:41 PM.]

George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2004 2:07 pm    

And then, there was the old steam locomotive that had a tender behind........
Chuck Fisher

Santa Cruz, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2004 2:49 pm    

I tried hanging my lapsteel on my belly with suction cups but it left large and painful hickeys. I guess legs are necessary.
Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2004 8:00 am    

I have a National T 8 made around 1955. It came equipped with 4 legs. I changed the amphenol connector to a standard ¼” jack. While routing it out to accommodate the new jack, I found that the sections of the guitar were joined with metal dowels. There are no spaces between the sections of my guitar, and it is quite substantial when supported by the legs. Perhaps the models that did not come with legs were not joined using metal dowels.
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2004 11:56 am    

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 19 Jan 2018 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2004 5:25 pm    

Was her name Irene? I think I might have played that bar . .

------------------
Rick Alexander
Fender Stringmaster D8, Fender Dual Professional, Fender Champion, Rickenbacker 6 String, Alkire Eharp

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2004 2:17 am    

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 19 Jan 2018 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
John Kavanagh

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2004 9:36 am    

I agree with Terry VunCannon. Why make big holes in a nice instrument when a relatively cheap keyboard stand will do the job better? I prefer to use one for my D-8, even though it has legs.