| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  3 fingers-four strings---how?
Jan Dunn

Union, NJ USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2004 10:56 am    

Ok, a simpleton asking a basic question. I have seen lots of C6 lapsteel tab with 4 strings played. Although I have 5 fingers, only my thumb and 2 others actually pay attention to my brain. So what technique would you use to play a group of 4 or more strings?

Hope to get an answer before finger number two stops listening.

[This message was edited by Jan Dunn on 28 June 2004 at 11:57 AM.]

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2004 11:20 am    

You rake the bottom strings with your thumb.
Erv
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2004 11:26 am    

Jan,

Not an uncommon question. Two basic ways:

1. Strum them

2. pick two with your pick fingers and strum the bottom two with the thumb.

"Yes, but what about a case where the 4 strings are not next to each other"

Well, unless there is only one gap, I am afraid you are going to have to put that third pick on

"What about if there is just one gap?"

Ahah

Then dear friend ya need to watch a master like Jerry Byrd or Buddy Emmons (others of course), because they have found a way to strum 4 strings across a 5 string set, and mute the unwanted string with the thumb of their left hand.

"Imposssible?"

NOT for them

Good luck, and may Jesus bless you in your quests,

carl
Chuck Fisher

Santa Cruz, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2004 1:51 pm    

Then theres omitting a note, leave out a 5th or a 1st (tonic). One implies the other and the missing note in the chord might just be a less crowded voicing, especially in a band context.

CF
Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2004 4:37 pm    

The picking hand ring finger can also be used to block an unwanted note in a note-group spread ...touching the string's upper-side from that finger's natural angle, just below the fingernail so as not to block the next upscale string/note. (Some peoples' muscle-motor dexterity finds it easier to keep the ring-finger and pinky together). ------- The tone bar hand's ring finger can also push the string down below the bar and mute that note (which is a good method to practice in the bag of tricks that finger can do with string pulls behind the bar). ------- The picking hand's ring finger can also be used to pick without a pick when necessary ... catching the string slightly with a SHORT fingernail to induce an edge of treble tone (a long fingernail at that angle of attack can cause some painful injury!). Turning the hand slightly toward the headstock so that finger(nail) attacks at a slight angle will make the finernail ride up upon the string and less prone to snag the string as a right-angle attack would. ------- Of note is that any of these methods take practice practice practice before they will feel / become natural.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 28 June 2004 at 05:51 PM.]

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 4:30 am    

Doug J. recently told me to pick the first 3 strings as a grip and then quickly grab the 4th string with the thumb as an alternative to strumming, especially if there is a gap in the notes. Works for me.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 7:50 am    

Perhaps this is a good place to ask the question that has been bugging me for years. How is the "double struck" note in Remington Ride obtained? Is this a "hammer on"? I've never seen it done so I have no idea. One can hear it in both Jimmy Day's and Buddy Emmons' versions.

Thanks and regards

Emmons SD-10, Dekley S-10, NV400
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 1:03 pm    

Ray,

There are a number of ways this "hammer on (and off)" is done. Buddy does not do it like Herb, the awesome creator of this classic steel guitar tune. Herb does it beginning with a hammer off. Buddy mutes the top note; then lifts the bar and picks a lightning fast open string; then does a double hammer on and off.

With all respect to Herb, I prefer Buddy's way. Sadly I have great difficulty doing it. I KNOW exactly what Buddy is doing, and I can do it if I play it painfully slow. But no matter how I try I cannot make my left hand get it like him at proper tempo.

Note: Buddy does almost the same thing when he plays "Steel Guitar Rag". Again, it bugs me not to be able to pull off what appears in his hands to be something that is incredibly simple. But I caint

Oh well,

carl
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 1:50 pm    

Thanks for the info Carl, I really appreciate it. I "caint" do it neither...
Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 1:55 pm    

Also, you can just pick the fourth string with your pickless ring finger. If you're only doing four note chords occasionally, then this works just fine.

-Travis