| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jim Cohen's new CD is absolutely wonderful.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2006 11:55 am    

Maybe I like it so much because he played some of my favorite songs from my youth. But I think this is the best steel guitar CD I've heard in a long time.

Jim has really extablished himself as a true master of the steel. This CD is simply gorgeous. It literally gave me goosebumps.

Congratulations Jim. You really did it this time.

[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 28 August 2006 at 01:24 PM.]

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2006 12:13 pm    

I have just listened to Jim's latest CD, and I have to say I truly believe his playing and song selection allowed him to manifest his musical soul. Absolutely beautiful.
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2006 11:35 am    

I have to agree, also. My CD came in the mail Saturday, but I didn't pick the mail up till Sunday.

Those songs sure take me back [and to a much nicer time].

All the songs are just super.I found "I Only Want To Be With You" interesting in the fact that you hardly ever hear anyone bring it up anymore, especially when taliking about "oldies". It was always one of my favorites, as I just happened to be going out with someone real special at the time the song came out. Thanks Jim, for resurrecting that fond memory.

Your playing and sense of timing [not to mention tone] has definitely been BAMMED up a notch [or 2, or 3].

Bravo Jimbeaux. Keep em' comin'.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2006 4:31 pm    

Wow, thank you guys for your very kind remarks. Mike, I sure appreciate and value your opinion (all the more since you gave me a little preview of your next project!) See ya soon in St. Louis.

Reece, you certainly captured, in a sentence, what this CD is all about. But I've always been impressed by your degree of insight. Thank you for your friendship, and your teachings over these many years we've known one another.

Chip! I'm so glad you're enjoying the CD. I'm sure we were tuned to similar frequencies in our 'formative years'. (And I'm relieved to hear that the old memory that song drug up for you was a happy one! ) I miss our chats together at the New England steel shows and hope we'll get to hang out together again one of these days soon.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2006 7:30 am    

Is b0b going to carry it, soon? I have some other stuff to get from him, I could save 39c.
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2006 8:25 am    

yeah Jim, is b0b going to carry it soon? I want to order it as well as some of your other CD's also.
Roland van Beveren

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2006 8:50 am    

Hi Jim,
Sounds like you did it again!
Where can we order your cd?
Thanks,

Best to you from Amsterdam
Roland
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2006 8:51 am    

Thanks for asking guys. At this time, the CD is only available directly through me at my website www.jimcohen.com (but if you mention this ad, you'll qualify for the 39-cent discount! )

Roland, better email me directly since the website isn't set up for the extra postage needed for ex-US; still working on that! Thanks.

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 30 August 2006 at 09:52 AM.]

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2006 9:17 am    

I don't know how you do it Jim, but it's hard to get any better when everything you do is the best! and indeed it is! WOW!!
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2006 5:44 pm    

Jimbeaux,

Another surprise!

Your CD travels with me now in my van, and I'm listening right now to it, at the PC in my widdle twailah, and "I Will Always Love You" just hit me, a bit differently this time around.

The tinkering piano and you starting off the song - playing 1,2 notes, then building as the intro moves on, until finally you have that beautiful treble and moving bass going on.

Talk about dynamics. Can't get enuff. You start out teasing, and wind up BAMMING to parts unknown [as Emeril would put it].

Never show all your cards. Keep 'um guessing.

To me, a great solo, or intro/outro etc. is where you set up the listener's ear. You get someone going along with what you are doing.
Start out fast, start slow, start out medium tempo - whatever the song calls for.

You move along with your start-out tempo and phrasing - then - you suddenly add or take away certain things - notes, volume, chords -

Anyway, what I'm trying to say, is that you want to set up the audiences ears in one direction, and then pull the rug. This makes for more interesting music.

The element of surprise is what it's all about, IMHO.

We all love to be SURPRISED, don't we? Why should music be any different? Than a novel's plot, or a scary horror movie, or my van not starting on a cold day.

Jimster, you've not only accomplished a CD of masterful playing, but also that elusive element of SURPRISE. The more I listen, the more I'm getting from it.

BRAVO!

[This message was edited by CHIP FOSSA on 01 September 2006 at 06:46 PM.]

billy tam R.I.P.

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2006 4:50 am    

Jim, It was a pleasure to meet and visit with you in St. Louis. Your cd was the first of many we listened to on the 11 hour drive home yesterday and we loved it. My brother-in-law Joe Miceli(drummer for John Fred and the Playboys for 30+ years) was with me and the songs brought back a lot of memories for us. Your set in the jazz room was excellent as well.
thanks
Billy Tam
Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2006 5:43 am    

I picked up Jim's new CD at the St Louis convention and it made the drive back to Kansas City a fun drive. Chuck Abend from Kansas City was along in the van and Chuck had tons of praise for Jim, both coming and going to St. Louis. Needless to say Chuck picked up a copy also.

Chuck and Jim

[This message was edited by Colm Chomicky on 04 September 2006 at 07:22 AM.]

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2006 5:54 am    

Jim, great work as always! Molly and I enjoyed listening to it on our return trip. Tasteful, stylistic, and innovative! It was good to see you back in St. Louis too. Keep up the excellent work and we hope to see you again soon.
Richard Cooper

Eads,TN,USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2006 7:08 am    

Home, James ( Steelin' my way back to the 60's)
Jim Cohen took me back, great CD! Got mine from
a old hippie in St Louis.
Thanks Jim
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2006 8:59 am    

Home(run)James! This is a great CD...real interesting selection of tunes. Many of them you wouldn't ordinarily think of adapting to pedal steel and you've pulled it off beautifully, Jim. I'm especially impressed with the super-smooth transitions between songs in your medley of Walk Away Renee/Pachelbel's Canon/As Tears Go By/ and back to Walk Away Renee. I find the instrumental versions of these great songs (from my misspent youth) are a great way to better appreciate their musical structure. Nice!
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2006 10:48 am    

Hats off Jimbeaux! Heard you on Sunday on
steelradio and really enjoyed your set. The opener "Yardbird Suite" was excellent. You played great man!

[This message was edited by Mike Shefrin on 04 September 2006 at 11:50 AM.]

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2006 12:33 pm    

I saw Jim play at the cnvntn and I was quite impressed as was everyone else. He played with a lot of flare and convidence and is clearly a serious player.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2006 1:39 pm    

I wasn't at the convention and I don't have Jim's latest cd, but back in 1988 I heard a great steel player at the PSGA show in Armonk
New York and that great player was, and is Jim Cohen. I'll see you in Norwalk I hope.

Sorry I had to edit but, I can't spell, but one thing I can do is listen to great steel playing.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 04 September 2006 at 02:41 PM.]

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2006 2:55 pm    

I worked Jim's set at the conenetion in St.Louis and let me tell you he was wonderful. Jim is a great player and a nicer guy you will never meet. I didn't get his CD at the convention but I will change that real soon. Jim you are a joy to work with and to be around. Loveya pal, Bobby
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2006 3:11 pm    

Ditto's. I listened to Jim's CD on my way home from the airport. Its great stuff, just as his last one was. Sounds like that young Cohen is becoming quite a Sax player also, his parts sounded really good.

For all of you who weren't there, Jim did a bang-up job in the Jazz room on Saturday morning too. I get tired of all the old worn out Country standards and Jim's stuff is a breath of fresh air in the steel world.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2006 5:02 pm    

I thought Jim Cohen was one of the best players I heard at the Convention in St. Louis this year. Even more important, Jim is a nice person. His CD is wonderful, he is truly a great player.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2006 7:22 am    

Thank you all so much for those comments. You made my day. It was so great to see so many folks at the ISGC and especially in the Jazz Room which I hope will become a regular feature. (By the way, if you'd like to see that happen be sure to put a post about it here on the Forum so Scotty knows how you feel about it.)

It is always such a privilege to play with guys like Bobby Caldwell, Roy Rosetta, Jimmy Queen and my pal, Russ Wever who kindly offered to play bass for my set. It's one of the highlights of my year for sure.

Thanks to the many folks who purchased my new CD at the show, and privately through my website. I appreciate your interest and support.

Jimbeaux
Jeff Bradshaw

Leslieville, Alberta - Canada
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2006 11:58 am    

I would like to echo all the fine things that have been mentioned above regarding Jim's CD as it is indeed great...Best regards. ..jeff bradshaw
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2006 12:41 pm    

As usual I am late to throw in my two centavos, but yep, Jim's new CD is terrific!

Thanks Jim!

Terry Wood
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2006 4:39 am    

I agree with everyone, it's a wonderful CD. Jim has been a favorite ever since I first heard him. Jim, my satellite INTERNET was down for over a week and I didn't know about the ad when I got the cd at the convention, is there any chance you might send me the 39 cents anyway?