| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joe Wright
Roger Pietz

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 1:06 pm    

My Teacher turned me onto this video my Joe Wright comedian and player What can you folks tell me about him. He don't even look when he plays sweet jesus are you other guys like that too. That good that you can be a comedian and joke with folks while playing so darn fast . I am a begginner but man talk about an eye opener. I just want a small piece of what he has I'll be happy as all heck.
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 1:42 pm    

Roger. I think you are just now discovering what thousands of others have discovered about Joe Wright not too long ago. I remember a time when it took litterally thousands of signatures on a petition just to get him enough recognition to play at one of the bigger steel guitar shows. However, once that happened, he had the audiance at his feet and doubled over with laughter. He is an absolutely awesome musicican, and in my opinion, one of the true masters of the instrument. Joe brings to the stage not only his superb talents as a player, but also his comedy acts, and he always brings the house down just about everywhere he performs. If you haven't had the oportunity to see Joe live yet, then by all means get out and see him at the next venue he is performing at. He's a very approachable guy,and is always willing to share some of what he knows with anyone interested. He has a full line of teaching materials and other steel guitar related things, so visit his web site and check it out sometime.

Oh ya... does he really play without looking? Indeed he does, and no,Roger, most of the rest of us can't do that! Joe is indeed the exception!
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 3:38 pm    

It MAY be Theophilus impersonating Joe Wright, ya know!
Joe is a STUNNING steel player. If you get a chance Roger, take his seminar, or at least order his "how to" dvds. He actually breaks it down and tells you how he does it.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 4:16 pm    

His videos are pretty good, if VERY repetitious. Seems like the first 4 could be on one 1-hour DVD, and they're not cheap. I've found a lot of value in those, though But the production is really amateurish, which kind of bugs me.

His book REALLY bugs me - a lot of money for 300+ "jam packed" pages...of disorganized stuff (it has no sensible flow to it at all - like the sections were tossed in the air and put back together however they landed), wierd robotic ideas, mixed type fonts, typos galore...and *xeroxed*, often almost to the point of being unreadable. Not how I expected a $60 book to be. I mean, at least put a real cover on it and hire an editor...or use a grammar checker! For something so highly recommended I really expected far more professionalism. The layout and sloppiness make it very tough to use.

Not having seen/heard him play other than on those videos - can someone explain to me the dorky semi-clown getup I've seen in some pictures? It's embarrassing - looks like Hee-Haw on a really bad day (were there any good ones?).
ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 4:50 pm    

My Dad always told me that if I didn't have anything good to say about someone, just keep my mouth shut! Joe Wright is probably one of the best all around entertainers that plays steel guitar, in the "World". Of course thats my opinion. He's been a personal friend of mine for over 10 years and I'm still amazed at his talent!

------------------
Ray Qualls
President(KSGA) www.rayqualls.com

Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 5:18 pm    

"Not having seen/heard him play other than on those videos"

Well my experience is different. I didn't experience the videos and book till after I had seen him play. Maybe that makes the difference because I find them to be a gold mine. His books have helped my playing - on lap steel and dobro - more than any other instructional material I've ever had.

Perhaps if you looked beyond the production values for the gold, you'd find it.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 5:29 pm    

SHEEEESH!! Lighten up a little! It saddens me to see you take such a negative/critical viewpoint of one of the finest pickers around, Jim S. I had even recommended Joe's course, as you were interested in Rock & Roll on steel, and Joe can sure light a fire under it!

I took Joe's course last year in Dallas, and enjoyed the man as a person, and every minute of his seminar.

[This message was edited by James Morehead on 28 October 2006 at 06:04 AM.]

Les Green

Jefferson City, MO, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 7:00 pm    

I've been playing steel for 50 years and let me tell you, the first time I saw Joe Wright in action I was impressed as all ****. If I could play while looking at my guitar, half the stuff he plays while not looking I'd be a happy camper.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 7:08 pm    

Joe Wright is a treasure to the steel guitar community.

In no uncertain terms.
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 7:26 pm    

Joe Wright played on the road with Charlie Pride.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 7:29 pm    

Monster talent and friend.
Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 7:55 pm    

The last time I saw Joe was at the Branson Show. My daughter was visiting from California and she said she has never seen anything like this before and can't wait to see him again. I looked over a few rows of spectators and saw everyone from grade school kids to some very aged seniors all completely 100% captivated by Joe's performance. He is an entertainer for all ages and styles of music. He is high energy and not for the faint of heart. I think he is a "must see" on your agenda of things to do in life.
Roger Pietz

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 8:22 pm    

Jim Sliff Man what are you doing on this site. I'm a begginner and people like you can really spoil a good thing. Glad I've worked around negative people all my life in prison as a guard. Maybe you were in prison at one time to have such a bitter attitude about this awesome man. Sorry you even had any input but I guess with all the good has to come a little bad. You're a bad boy.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 8:45 pm    

Roger, spare me the scolding.

Honestly, the production values are pretty weak....can anybody say different? Doesn't Any one find the videos extremely repetitious?

I guess negative reviews aren't allowed. One must only praise every "king o' steel" no matter what. Note that I did say there's value in them.

You guys are a riot. Sorry, I don't kiss behinds, even if they have a lot of talent. If voicing an opinion offends you, go to your wives so they can give you yours...you must not be allowed to have your own.

"How about you send a few of us YOUR video and book you have written on steel guitar and technique,"

That's like saying "don't comment on a guitar until you've built one." Users should be fairly free to comment positively and negatively on "tools of the trade" - for better or worse. That's how we learn what we want to buy and what we don't. Posting ONLY positive comments would be totally misleading.

Sorry if maybe you guys are comfortable with only making complimentary comments, but the world doesn't revolve around Joe or anyone else. There is nothing wrong with pointing out what one sees as problems with a product...unless the entire participatory group wishes to simply live with blinders on.

Your choice.

[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 26 October 2006 at 10:30 PM.]

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 8:55 pm    

Roger,

You're right to be impressed by Joe. I've seen him a couple of times, and I've taken his seminar. He's one of the greats, to be sure. There's no disputing that. The steel is an extension of himself, and he knows it inside out. He also happens to be a natural entertainer, which certainly helps in the live arena. He could easily just be out there playing, but he has decided to put a lot of time and effort into instruction, which to me is a selfless passion - he may do okay selling his material, but it's more a labour of love in my opinion. Like Jeff Newman before him, he geniunely wants players to succeed and improve. Hopefully you've found something in his instruction that will help you on your quest to learn this wonderful instrument.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 9:19 pm    

I would challenge ANYONE to come even close to what Joe can do to entertain you to tears then play his heart out and bring tears again. There is not another that I am aware of that can come close to what he does. His teaching material does what it is intended to do. He could have spent a bunch of production money which he probably don't have because big bucks just don't come to most steel players regardless of how good they play. But, had he done so, the material would have had to have a bigger price tag. I have had the privilege of helping somewhat with the development of a young up and coming steel player who at 12 years old is already getting more notoriety than most of us will receive in a lifetime and I can tell you for a fact that he has a great right hand technique and it is from spending hours working with Joe Wrights teaching material. I have stated before on this forum and will do so again, if Joe had a fan club I would be honored to be President of it. I am in Joe's corner all the way.
Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 26 October 2006 at 10:20 PM.]

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 9:36 pm    

Jerry, I did not say the material was bad - I said that IMO the videos were repetitive, and the book is disorganized and sloppy. I also said there's good material, and I certainly don't deny you can learn from it. But it doesn't cost much to edit video or proofread a book.

But apparently some only want to find the negatives in what I say. That's their problem, not mine. Just don't expect me to put up with it.

Nobody's explained the "clown" getup yet, though. Anyone care to? I'm just curious, as I've seen pictures posted many times with no explanation at all, like we're all supposed to be clairvoyant.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 10:16 pm    

I find Joe's teaching material to the most comprehensive and well thought out method available. His books are much more in line with how classical players learn rather than the do this lick method.
The 3 main things I found invaluable from Joe was a bar control excersize thing, his right hand workbook and his scale spreadsheet program.

Anybody that puts some time into his right hand system will become a much better player.

Jim, maybe you didn't understand Joe's logic. His books always seemed perfectly straight forword to me. The clown thing that confuses you is part of the comedy act mentioned throughout the thread.

------------------
Bob
upcoming gigs
My Website

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 26 October 2006 at 11:19 PM.]

ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 1:36 am    

Roger, since it was you that posted this message, first I want to say welcome to you to this forum as a beginner! 95% of the members here are like a family. The other 5% are kinda like the black sheep of the family and have no intention of helping new players. Everything is negative to them. Most of the players that have teaching material never make the money back out of selling them compared to what it costs to make them. Just like most of the players who make CD's, never make the money back that they've invested. Its just a labor of love for the instrument and passing along knowledge thats took years to learn. I hope that you will keep posting and asking questions here on this Forum that b0b has made for us. I'm sure that you will get plenty of answers to the questions that you ask. Just don't let the negative answers get to you. Keep on steeling!

------------------
Ray Qualls
President(KSGA) www.rayqualls.com

Chippy Wood

Elgin, Scotland
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 3:40 am    

I had the pleasure of meeting Joe in Dallas and watched his show, what a talent and personality. The comic routine had everbody in stitches and we were all awed by his playing. The hall was packed to standing room only.A HUGE talent.

------------------
Ron (Chippy) Wood
Emmons D10
Emmons D12

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 4:08 am    

The first time we saw Joe play was at Clinton Opry, my whole family was blown away by his talent. Every time Nan And Belinda knows Joe will be playing a show we are going to the are excited by him and his show. If you have not seen him you have missed one of the greatest steel players on this planet. I have some of his DVD's they will be a great help. I kept thinking where is he going with this, then he speeded up just a little and I found he was giving me somethig when I learned, it would be great. Take that slow and unimpressive stuff you are writing about and speed it up and you will learn a great lesson in speed.

ernie
Rick Johnson

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 4:14 am    

Does anyone remember Red Skeleton?
We all enjoyed his comedy.
Some might ask "why did Red act like
the bum or wino, he could just tell his jokes like everyone else" because thats
what entertainers do. Red found a niche
for his style of comedy and he stayed
with it. Thats like Joe, he has found
his niche too.
Joe's comedy routine has evolved over the years, he gets the crowd involved and he's a real attraction for the steel guitar shows.
Joe is super talented entertainer.

Rick
www.rickjohnsoncabs.com
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 4:16 am    

Jim. I just read some of your posts here, and I must say that I was indeed quite taken back to read the many negitives that you posted about Joe's material. Although I do respect your opinion, and whcih you have a right to express, I would have to guess that you must not have ever watched Joe Wright's live performances? I say that, because if you did, you would understand the (as you put it) "dorky semi-clown getup". This is just a cotume that Joe uses as part of his comedy act, (i.e. "theawefulest") a stage name he uses in this part of his performance. I hope that explains to you your curiosity about what the "semi-clown getup"is all about.

You also go on to say, quote: "It's embarrassing - looks like Hee-Haw on a really bad day (were there any good ones?)." Indeed Mr Sliff, that comment would offend many pros that have had the opportunity to work the stage of the Hee-Haw productions, and those productions are a huge part of country music history, and will be forever. I'm sorry sir, but I find that comment totally our of character and uncalled for. After hearing that from you, I must say that I am quite surprised that you want anything to do with the steel guitar community whatsoever!

You also stated that you found his material to be very repetitious. Fair enough, however, I think that regardless of what ones playing level might be, when we are learning something, it is many times "repetitious" while we are learning and hence, perfecting it. I believe that perhaps that was what Joe was trying to accomplish with the student within the material.

I don't wish to speak for Joe here, but I would be willing to bet that he would refund all of your money if you truly are as dissapointed in his instruction materials as you say you are. You may also want to perhaps consider selling it here on the Forum. Although it appears that Joe's material is obviously useless to you, and of little value to you for learning, it will probably be of great value to many others here whom would love to have it.

You also stated, quote:
But apparently some only want to find the negatives in what I say.

and again quote:
If voicing an opinion offends you, go to your wives so they can give you yours...you must not be allowed to have your own.

Indeed Mr. Sliff! One would not have to read or reread to find the negatives in that statement! In many circles of people, a comment like that made to another would probably get you transportation via EMS to places you would probably rather not be!

In any event, rather than unjustifiable brow beating the man, his life style, his costumes, or his material, why not just respectfully ask Joe for a refund and let it be at that. An opinion of something is one thing sir, and I believe most all here will respect that. However, condeming others and making off-color remarks to other Forum members here is indeed quite another issue!

Roger, I hope that none of this will have any negative effects on you here. Although it seems that this sort of thing does rear its ugly head every now and then on here, I think you will find that 99% of the steel players here, (pro or otherwise) are more than willing to help you with just about anything you might want to know.

Welcome to the steel guitar community Roger, and feel free to email me or call me direct anytime I might be of some help to you.
Harrison Music 989-539-4715
Jagwire Strings Co. 989-539-7808

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 4:22 am    

Joe Wright is the most entertaining steel player I have ever seen.
Jim Sliff, if you don't like the video, don't watch it. If you can do a better job, go for it and I'll tell you what I think of it. We can't ALL be perfect.
Have you ever met Joe Wright? Have you ever seen him in person? Well, I have, and he is a swell guy in every respect.
So, he has a less than perfect video? Big deal.
I rarely reply to posts of this nature. Maybe I watched too many Gene Autry/Roy Rogers movies as a kid but I feel compelled to defend Joe, and I think you owe an apology to Joe Wright and the steel guitar community.
Now you can chastise me all you want, for my remarks, but my hat is off to Joe.

------------------
www.home.earthlink.net/~johnd37

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 5:26 am    

Joe Wright is the bomb. His technique is jaw-dropping and he uses it to make meaningful music.

I also really enjoy Jim Sliff posts on the forum. It's good to have a guy around who isn't afraid to say whatever he thinks, particularly when what he thinks goes against popular opinion.

He reminds me of old Harry Hess in some ways, who also wasn't afraid to type before thinking about what people were going to think.

It might not be "polite" or "nice" but it's okay to have different opinions about things.

But seriously Jim, you've got to see what Joe's like live. Amazing technique amazining musicianship and very funny too.