| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Easily distracted
Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2006 2:41 pm    

Yesterday, I played an outside gig at a chili cook-off. The stage had a cover but was facing the west. We were in the shade when we started but after a short time I was facing directly into the sun. They also had flower arrangements around and on the stage. Bees were buzzing around and few times one lit on my bar hand. For me, it's hard to focus on what I'm doing. Other folks may not even notice.
My question is, how easily distracted are you by things that aren't quite right? If so, what are some of the things that kinda bug you when you're trying to pick. Tommy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read a while back Tommy White saying that he owned steels that are of a neutral color because loud colors are a bit distracting.I must admit that I'm easily distracted when things aren't quite the way I'd like for them to be. I know it's a lack of focus on my part.
Other than the obvious things like guitar player being out of tune or his amp is right in your ear, here are a few things that distract me:
--The steel not being level or being wobbly.
This is common when playing on a flatbed trailor on an outside gig. I've seen a few guys picking their rears off and their guitar moving all over the place. I doesn't appear to bother them in the least.
--Playing someone elses steel, even if it's the same brand and the same setup. I guess maybe that has to do with string spacing or pedal/lever feel. Also, if the pedals are not level or don't bottom out at the same level, it's a little harder to focus.

I've played a few times when there was a nice looking young lady dancing in front of me. Those distractions I didn't mind.

Ken

[This message was edited by Ken Williams on 29 October 2006 at 02:44 PM.]

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2006 9:40 pm    

I don't know how much of a distraction this would be to most, but I hate it when a band member looses meter and starts to drag, or speeding up is just as bad. I guess it becomes a distraction because I start worring about getting my timing throwed off, istead of thinking about creativity. I guess when I hear the timing getting squirrely, I start playing "safe mode". They only do it on a couple songs a night, so I live with it. If they did it all the time, I'd move on!

[This message was edited by James Morehead on 29 October 2006 at 09:47 PM.]

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2006 10:02 pm    

Like James, the only distraction for me is a band member off time...or out of tune.

All the other things just go with the territory, and after decades of this I get "in the bubble" and can tune all that stuff out. If you let those little things get inside your head, it's difficult, if not impossible, to be an even semi-successful stage musician.
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 4:09 am    

The easiest distractions for me are the length of the skirt or the size of the...

Oh... and yeah, an out of tune guy in the band... or a bass player that can't find the right note... THAT one gets me worse than anything!

------------------
Mikey D...

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 5:15 am    

but Ken, you left out the most important distraction..

How was the Chili ?
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 5:18 am    

"or a bass player that can't find the right note"

Another version of that is a bass player and drummer that aren't in sync. When they play like a locked unit, it makes everyone else's job SO much easier! They can literally BE the band - everyone else is just icing.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 6:53 am    

Depends on what assets are on display...
Patrick Layher

Buffalo WY, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 7:06 am    

I was playing at a wedding and we were set up right on the dance floor. A group of kids cam up close being intrigued by the steel and the pedals and all. Then from out of no where this sweet little girl started tuning or should I say, de-tuning my steel. That was a slight distraction!

Pat
Bill Waskiewicz

Deerfield Beach, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 7:32 am    

How about sending b0b a donation to help him keep the forum going, I am going to send mine today, hope you will too.
Bill W.
B0B, Please move to Events & Announcements / Thanks Mr. Bobby Lee

[This message was edited by Bill Waskiewicz on 30 October 2006 at 07:51 AM.]

Roland van Beveren

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 9:24 am    

What about drunk middle-aged men who ask if you do songs by The Eagles while you're in the middle of a speedpickin' solo?
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 9:26 am    

The few bands that I worked with that invoke great memories are those that had a drummer and bass player who were in-sync and everyone "played off" of them!

Bless those guys and gals who never receive enough credit for what they contribute to the final result.

------------------
www.genejones.com

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 8:34 pm    

Boy you got that right, Gene! The bass and drums, when they work with each other are the cake. If you don't have the cake, you don't have much to put the icing on.