| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Near Sarasota 9/20 to 9/23?
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2006 6:30 am    

I'm visiting my folks in Sarasota, anybody got a gig within an hour or so of Sarasota before Sunday?
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2006 11:52 am    

>
John Cook

Sarasota, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2006 5:12 pm    

Sarasota is a virtual black hole when it comes to music of any kind and especially country. The county bans live music after 10 0'clock unless you have been in business for a long time and are grand fathered in. Those clubs that can have live music, usually go the way of rock n roll. I am biding my time right now . I am selling my house and moving to a different part of the country, where a person can go out and listen to music and even maybe have a beer without being harrassed. Anyway you might try Joyland. They are on 41 acrss the street from the airport. I don't know if they will be open or have a live band but it's the only country bar in these parts. jc
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2006 7:36 pm    

Thanks, John....that may explain why I can't find anything happening in the local papers. I could hear a couple rock bands playing in the bars in Siesta Village earlier this evening when I went down there to check out the sunset and get some gelato, but I'd be a little out of place hanging out there by myself. I thought it seemed early for the bands to be playing, it was only 7 PM or so. Didn't know they banned live music after 10. Guess they don't want the spring break crowd here.

I was hoping to hear some steel in a band, doesn't matter to me whether it's country, alternative, americana, country rock, jazz whatever. I'll check out the place by the airport, thanks for the tip.
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2006 3:45 pm    

Nevermind, John....Joyland shut down on September 8th, they sold the place to make room for coed college housing.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2006 1:57 am    

Florida, in general, with traditional country music, is geared to the "snowbirds". In the summer, with a few exceptions, there is nothing. In the winter it goes strong.

Except for our Florida Steel Guitar Club jams and the Manasota Steel Guitar Club jams that are monthly there isn't much.

The place that I pick at in the winter season has a weekly (Tuesday) show from the 1st Tuesday in Nov to the last Tuesday in April. It shuts down the rest of the year as there is not enough audience to support it. In the peak winter months we get over 200 per show and sometimes even have to turn people away as it's "sold out". Other club jobs, such as VFW, etc, are also "winter" gigs.
John Cook

Sarasota, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2006 11:50 am    

Hi Pat, sent you an email with my phone number. Give me a call if you get it in time. jc
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2006 6:57 pm    

Hi, John. Sorry, the email address in my profile is outdated. It's jpat@ptd.net, but I won't be looking at email till I get back home tomorrow anyway....I'm leaving first thing in the morning.

In the meantime, I checked out a local roadhouse called J.R.'s Old Packinghouse Cafe off Cattlemen Road and Bahia Vista. Friday night the band sucked, crappy rhythm section and a guitar player who never stopped playing every note he knew. Just got back in tonight, the band was really good....basically a blues band, great rhythm section and 1 guitar with a singer/harp player. Great tone (through a Carvin, sounded like a Fender tube amp), tight, they knew what they were doing. I thought they were called "Frayed Knot", but that name on Google comes up with a band from Cincinatti that isn't the same guys.

One guy at the bar said they have different bands pretty much every night, it's hit and miss as to what's good and what isn't. No steel, but still a good local roadhouse. Nobody there seemed too upset about Joyland closing...they thought it was too commercial. I got the impression Joyland was geared to the boot-scootin' boogie crowd.

One other guy told me there's a jam session every Thursday night at 7 PM at Bee Ridge Park, on the south side of Wilkinson halfway between Swift Rd and Beneva Rd. He said there's some good musicians who show up there.

[This message was edited by Pat Burns on 24 September 2006 at 04:35 AM.]