| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Warren Nichols of "Confederate Railroad"
RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2005 3:37 pm    

Hello Folks...
I was wondering if Warren Nichols who plays, (Or, Did play at one time) Steel Guitar for "Confederate Railroad" is still touring with "Confederate Railroad."
I called him last week, But, the number has been "Discontinued." If anyone knows if he is still with the "Railroad," I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks

------------------
Emmons S-10 4 & 5
Evans FET 500, Session 400 LTD, ProFex 11
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 May 2005 4:23 pm    

Hey Ron! I did an opener for CRR about this time last yr. down in LJ and Gates Nichols, at least that's his stage name, was with them then. One of the "trashy women" they invited on stage for the finale, dumped a cup of beer all over his new LeGrande III. That may have done him in, I don't know!

He was really calm about it tho and just toweled it off whilst shaking his head. Got to talk to him after the show and had him autograph my hat.
Don't know whether he is still with them or not.

[This message was edited by Jerry Overstreet on 09 May 2005 at 05:45 PM.]

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2005 4:52 pm    

According to the web site Gates Nichols is with them still, I will find out Friday night. If your friend is with them, I will get you some contact information....James
RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2005 4:51 am    

Thanks, Guys,
Jerry, Good to hear from you. How's things on the other side of the "Mason/Dixon" Line?
Oh, Boy, If I were Gates when that happened, I REALLY have NO IDEA what I would have done.
But, that very same thing happened to me.........Only, This CLOWN spilled his "Jack & Coke" on my L/L 3 TWICE. The SECOND time, the "Bouncers" had Fun "Double Dribbling" his Head on out the Door. What a MESS that was. I almost had to Disassemble the WHOLE FRIGGIN thang just to Clean it up.
Of course, Mr Gates just has to call Ol Ron Lashley Jr at Emmons and have another Steel shipped out to him in record time. I'll talk to Gates this comming Saturday afternoon over "Coffee."

------------------
Emmons S-10 4 & 5
Evans FET 500, Session 400 LTD, ProFex 11
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2005 5:40 am    

Hey, I soke to Jimmy (guitar) Cody (keyboards) and Gates Nichols (steel) player lsst night. They told me that Gates is original, and only, steel player that has played with the group. Sorry I was not more help, but they told me they were not sure who you may have been taking about. By the way, these are some really nice, down to earth guys who know how to have a good time playing music....James
By the way, I could not recall your friends name to ask if they knew him....Sorry...James

[This message was edited by James Sission on 14 May 2005 at 06:44 AM.]

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2005 3:04 pm    

Gates has been playing steel for Confederate Railroad since they started and they've never changed steel players. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2005 2:28 pm    

I was told Gates and Warren Nichols, are one and the same. I don't know it for a fact.
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2005 5:59 pm    

As long as we are on CRR does any one have the contact info for Wayne Secrest the bass player. I use to play with Wayne years ago and would like to get in touch with him.

I found their web site but the only contact info was for booking. I'd sure appreciate any info thanks.

Bob
Bruce Etter

Columbus, Georgia
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2005 2:47 am    

Several years ago I met Gates Nichols after one of their shows. I was a beginner at pedal steel at that time and I wanted the opportunity to talk with him. He took the time and "talked steel" with me. The conversation came down to type of equipment and I asked him about strings, what type and what brand. He talked for awhile and then told me to wait for a minute and he would be back. He went to the bus and came back with a set of Emmons E9th and C6th strings and gave them to me. He also gave me the phone number to the Emmons company and told me who to ask for. I couldn't believe his generosity! He took the time for a newbie and encouraged him. He made a real impression on me.
Ron Fitzgerald

Port Charlotte Florida
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2006 4:24 am    

As a fellow steeler and lifelong friend I can tell you that Gates Nichols and Warren Nichols are one in the same. His given name is Warren Gates Nichols.He just decided to use his ddle name first.
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2006 4:24 am    

Confederate Railroad has a show at Mt Savage Maryland on Sept 2nd. I am playing steel with another group on that show, hope they have a steel player with them.

Ernie Pollock :} http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm

------------------
Ron Fitzgerald

Port Charlotte Florida
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2006 10:27 am    

Ernie , I'm sure Gates will be there. I'll tell him to look for you .
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2006 3:34 am    

Ron Fitzgerald,
Welcome to the Forum. If you have not heard them already, GREAT traditional country band named "Honky Tonk Experience" plays in Tappahanock frequently. Randy Cook is the steeler, very nice guy (and plays well too.)
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2006 3:52 am    

Ron: Sure, please tell that steel guitar player to look for me, I'll will probably be the only other steel player there, I am hard to miss, I weigh 275lbs & am picking an old ShoBud crossover D-10.

Ernie http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud7

------------------
Ron Fitzgerald

Port Charlotte Florida
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2006 2:23 pm    

Dave , I am familiar with Brad and his band. With the usual conflicting schedules , I haven't gotten to see them yet. If Randy is who I think he is , you are 100% right. He is a very nice guy .