| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Ackers?
Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2006 11:25 am    

Canadian steeler?
Can anyone give me information on this person?
Jim Gorrie

Edinburgh ~ road works congestion capital of The World.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2006 12:35 pm    

Buddy appeared on Gerry Hogan's Steel Festival way back in the mid 80's -- I think it was when Hal Rugg headlined the show.
I can't give any updated information on Buddy, but he is indeed Canadian and I do remember that he had some sort of disability which (if I remember correctly) affected either one, or both of his hands ~ but it didn't affect his ability to play a pedal steel !
I haven't heard of him for the last 20 or so years and I've often wondered about what he's been up to.
Steve Richter

Neenah, WI USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2006 1:03 pm    

Buddy played around here with a band called Al Jahnke and Steel Dreams. He split time between Appleton in the summer and the Texas coast during the winter. About a year or so ago he some health problems and could no longer do the gigs with Steel Dreams. I saw him play a couple of times and he is a very fine player. I could make a call or 2 and find out what's up if you want.
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2006 1:20 pm    

I have a Buddy Ackers vinyl lp around here someplace. I could be wrong but I think he is/was a French Canadian guy. The LP is definitely here in house but I couldn't find it last time I looked. I do remember that he does 'Bud's Bounce', 'Harbour Lights' and a little ditty called 'Atom Ant' on the record and the playing sounded very good to me at the time but it has been many years since I've listened to it.
Steve Richter

Neenah, WI USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2006 2:13 pm    

Got a reply to my email today. Buddy is living in Green Bay, WI. Word is that he's had diabetes a long time and it's getting to him.
Bill Maynard

Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2006 2:31 pm    

Buddy Ackers is living in Green Bay, WI. I was with him last month. He is not feeling the best and has some health problems but he is doing what the doctors ask him too. I hope he does get in better health soon. I helped him dispose of his MSA U12 and a Steel Rider Unit. He still has Dekley U12 that I sold him years ago. He is one of the finest players ever to set up a PSG. I will call him and tell him, his steel buddies still are thinking of him.

Bill Maynard
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2006 5:52 am    

Found the album...it's called 'Buddy Ackers a son meilleur' He's pictured on the cover with what appears to be an old Emmons P/P but the name plate is missing. There's some nice playing on the record...ten tunes in all. ( BTW it is 'Up and Atom' not 'Atom Ant' as I posted above ,, and it's listed as a Sonny Garrish tune) This record is part of a series comprised of all French Canadian country/western performers which leads me to believe that Buddy Ackers must have either come from Quebec or lived here for a time. Does anyone know the story? I'm curious as to how he ended up in Wisconsin.
Bill Maynard

Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2006 6:21 am    

In response to how Buddy Ackers got to Wisconsin. He married a lady from Green Bay. Her name is Joan.

Bill Maynard
Pete Young

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2006 1:39 pm    

Yes Buddy was from Montreal Went thru the hard knocks of all the dives like most of us do Landed a job at the blue angel cafe wite a group callwd Ruthie and Bernie He was with them a few years and then did some road work Landed in Green Bay and stayed there He was a fine picker and a great guy We were friends for years but lost contact over time I am sorry to hear he is not well And Bill If you are talking to him tell him Pete and Anne are thinking of him Would love to hear from him
Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2006 3:29 pm    

Pete -

About the Blue Angel Cafe? Was there a guy named Bob Fuller associated with that place about 30 years ago? I recall getting some rare country music record and tape lists from him, and I also saw write-ups about him and the Blue Angel in non-mainstream Canadian country music publications way back then.

And thanks to everyone for furnishing information on Buddy.
Pete Young

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2006 4:20 pm    

Hi Bryan
Yes Bob is still around tho the Blue Angel is long gone He is in his 36th year of old time country music every monday night He is at a place called the Wheel club now If you want any info about montreal you can email me at shobud69@yahoo.ca
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2006 5:15 pm    

Thanks for the info Bill and Pete. I find this very interesting since I've been in the Blue Angel in Montreal a couple of times. As for Bob Fuller, he brought a bluegrass band here to perform at a local summer festival years ago. I jammed with some of them backstage. There was a cool old guy called 'Rocky' who played dobro and that was the first time I had seen one other than on t.v.
I've been listening to that old Buddy Ackers record today and I think I'll try to learn a couple of tracks from it. I hope Buddy feels better soon too.
Pete Young

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2006 5:41 pm    

Yes Bill
Rocky passed away a couple of years ago Most of the others still go on Mon. nights tho
One of the nice songs on Buddys album is I dedicate this song to you my love Very sweet song and some nice picking
Steve Richter

Neenah, WI USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 3:26 pm    

Bill Maynard,
Thanks for the first hand info on this one. I was talking with one of his old band mates and he had been up to see him a couple of months back.

I've seen him with Steel Dreams and also with a band called Buffalo Stomp at October Fest in downtown Appleton .. which is a collection of players that have all played together in different bands over the years. Buddy is really smooth and tasteful and sure as hell gave the younger pickers a run for their money. I hope I get to hear him again soon.
Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 4:30 pm    

I believe that Buddy played with Scotty Stevenson and the Nighthawks. Larry Dee,(Degrechie) a killer steel player who has passed away spoke highly of him.
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 5:38 pm    

You're right Andy. Two of my favourite groups when I moved to Montreal from Nova Scotia were Scotty Stevenson & The Canadian Nighthawks, and the Hachey Brothers. The former did play at the Blue Angel Cafe which was upstairs. While I wasn't there that night, I remember when the bouncer tossed out a drunk, and the latter came back with a sort of Molitov cocktail and threw it up the stairway and I believe it was the Nighthawks who were playing Okie From Muskokie at that moment. I just dug out my Scotty Stevenson records, I have 4, and 3 have Buddy playing on them, Below is a picture from one of the covers:

Re Bob Fuller, he was on a Canadian tv show about six months ago and he's still going strong playing guitar and has about a quarter million records. George

George Rout

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 5:39 pm    

Sorry, I accidentally forgot to make the pic file small.
Geo
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 4:12 am    

That's a great pic George. From stories I've heard over the years I think the bouncers at the Blue Angel earned their money. That place must figure very prominently in the history of country music in Canada though. I wonder how many well known performers paid some dues there? I seem to remember reading that Ronnie Prophet used to work on the family farm in Calumet and drive into Montreal weekends to a gig at the Blue Angel.
At the time Buddy Ackers was playing around Montreal he must have been one of the only pedal steel players in the province. There are still only a handful as far as I know.
Pete Young

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 7:43 am    

Bill
Montreal was a hotbed of steel at that time You had Rusty Shore. Buddy Ackers,
Neil Flanz, Lou Giroux, Larry Douglas, Ronnie Dann, Bobby Clarke, George Ezree, Johnny Stoltz, and Al Brisco played here for a few weeks I think Herbie Jones was here for a while Then smaller Names like Joe Brezee, Ron Cavanaugh, Anne Giroux,and myself BoB Taillafer was here for a while I believe You could not find many clubs without steel I know I have forgoten a few as well
And George It was the blue bird that had the fire where 23 died The blue angel became a hot dog place and then a greek rest. It is still there but I forget what it is now They were great days for steel here
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 8:31 am    

Pete, I had no idea Montreal had so many steel players around one time. I wonder how many really good players there are in Quebec now? On the french language AM radio stations I often hear superb steel playing behind Quebec produced french language country/crossover type music but it's impossible to know who's playing because they seldom identify the singers on the radio, much less the musicians. I know that a guy by the name of Jean Guy Grenier plays steel with Patrick Norman and I hear he's very good.
I guess I've kind of gotten off the Buddy Ackers topic here but the subject of steel in the province of Quebec may be of interest to more than just me.
Pete Young

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 9:18 am    

Bill
You are not really off the subject as it was guys like Neil and Buddy and Lou giroux that got so many of us playing steel As for Jean Guy Grenier he is a great picker along with Mario Robitaille who A lot know from the inter. steel conv. I know them both well and I am hoping to meet Dale Bessant who is a forum member Dougie Trineer also does some steel on the french recordings I will travel a long way to here steel Too bad this city is dead with country music now Thats why I gave up Its all guys with a guitar and computer now The last I did was for free on friday nights with a guitar and keyboard

[This message was edited by Pete Young on 29 June 2006 at 10:20 AM.]

George Rout

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 12:49 pm    

Thanks Pete for correcting me on the Blue Bird, and not the Blue Angel. I've been away too long (1977), but it seems like only yesterday when I moved (1960) to Montreal from Nova Scotia to work for CFCF Marconi Television which was just being designed. I didn't frequent the Blue Bird too much, but did the Blue Angel and the Monterey (corner of St. Catherines & Peel Streets. There was also a popular place of mine on the north side of St. Catherines St somewhat close to the Forum, the name escapes me. But like many other facets of life, Montreal had the best of all of it by far, including excellent live music. I used to play with a band called the Country Drifters at a Lachine (suburb of Montreal) nicknamed "The Bucket Of Blood"!!!! (I don't mean we were part of "the best", but the tavern came to mind also).

Thanks for mentioning Dougie Trineer, I must dig out some recordings of him. Too much stuff, not enough time. Thanks again. Geo
Pete Young

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 2:16 pm    

George
If you get a chance sometime drop me an email at shobud69@yahoo.ca We must know each other I remember the name of the band and the Snake Pit (The bucket of blood) lol
Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 2:35 pm    

Andy:
Larry was also a great steel player. I have recently been given his collection of steel guitar lp's which Dotty, his wife, took over to Paul Evans, another good Canadian player and told him to give them to somebody who might appreciate them. Paul gave them to me.
Included is an lp by Buddy Ackers on the London label entitled Buddy Ackers and his Steel Guitar.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Anne Giroux

Pincourt, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 4:48 pm    

Pete I think you mean Mario Desrosiers. However there was a Jerry Robitaille steel player. Buddy Ackers was beaming from ear to ear the night Buddy Emmons visited the Blue Angel while in Montreal with Ray Price and played Ackers' guitar. In fact I might add Buddy Emmons came to my house after the matinee and all were in awe of Big E. I was the canadian representative of Buddy Emmons fan club at that time. I'm sure Buddy Ackers remembers that night!