| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Strings for ZB
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 12:29 pm    

Hey guys,
I need some advice on the kind of strings to put on my ZB. It is a Custom D-10, eary 70's vintage and I am currently using ghs strings. They plain strings are bright enough, but the wound strings seem to lack the tone I am looking for. I am playing through a FSK and I can make some tonal changes, but I still can't get the over all balanced tones I am looking for. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Wally
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 2:08 pm    

Wally, I'm a ZB player and I use GHS Boomers and really like them. I've used them for years. Which GHS's are you using? Also, if you change string gauges you'll have to rebalance some of the pulls on a ZB or the action may suffer.

[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 03 May 2006 at 03:08 PM.]

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 3:36 pm    

Do you use a wound 6th string on the E9?
I've been using the "Lloyd Green" E9th Jaqwires, available from b0b at the forum here, and the standard C6th set, nickel or stainless whichever is handy.
I used GHS boomers in make-my-own-sets individual gauges for 20 some years and they R fine too.

------------------
"I've got the 'ZB Jeebies™' !"

"Pickin' it 'old school' on the Pedizzle Stizzle"
1998 Zumsteel U12 "Loafer" 8&6 :: 1973 ZB Custom D-10 8&5 :: '69 Thinline Tele RI :: Vintage Fender 'Tube' Amplification

www.dvanet.net :: zbcustom73@dvanet.net :: www.lasttrainhome.com
:: My Tribute to the Hot Club of America in Hi-Fi
::A Zumsteel Picture Gallery:: A ZBCustom Picture Gallery

Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 3:37 pm    

I use Jagwires. The Tommy White set of E9 and C6. Nickel is good to me.
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 4:36 pm    

Hey Kevin, Dave and Chuck. Thanks a bunch for the replys. Kevin, the GHS strings I am using is the Professional Ten String Set PF500. The gauges run 013, 015,011,014,017,020, N26, N30, N34 and N36. Ok, how do I rebalance the pulls? I am a ZB newbie and not really clued in to the mechanics of a ZB. I wish I could find someone in area that could go through the guitar and check it all out. I live in the western Kentucky area.
Dave, strings 7 through 10 are wound.
Chuck, I have been considering the Jagwires based on the comments here on the forum. What guages do you use? And Jackson is not that far from me, I may look you up someday.
Thanks again guys,
Wally
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 4:44 pm    

Wally, the GHS Boomers are the same gauge. You may want to try a set of those. Jaquires are great strings also. I would use nickel on the ZB. Greg Jones is a ZB mechanic and is the staff steel player over in Renfro Valley Barn Dance Kentucky. He could balance and stabilize your ZB for you. He is expert.

[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 03 May 2006 at 07:44 PM.]

Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 10:17 pm    

I recently put a set of E9 Russ Hicks Jags on my Clark Custom, which is a very ZBish axe. 33 hours on them so far, no breakage and sounds great.

------------------
Clark Custom D10 8&5
Nashville 400
B-bender Telecaster
Line 6 Flextone II Plus
www.jimwalkeronline.com

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 6 May 2006 5:51 am    

Quote:
Greg Jones is a ZB mechanic ... He could balance and stabilize your ZB for you. He is expert.

Couldn't have said it better myself
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2006 5:20 am    

The forum sure is a great place! Thanks to all that replyed to my query about the strings they use on their ZBs. And I have located Mr. Greg Jones and I plan on making arrangements to get my ZB down to him. However, the down side is that I will be forced to use my Fender 3 pedal 1 knee lever PSG with me to have something to play on while my ZB is gone.....HA. Never did get that C pedal on the Fender to tune either! My Bud at Markle Music in Linton, IN sold me a set of Buddy Emmons SS strings to try. Have not put them on yet though, because I wanted to ask if anyone had any luck with SS strings?
Anyone else play their ZB through a Fender Steel King and if so, what settings do you use? Sorry to have so many questions, but I am a newbie to steel and I cherish the opinions of guys like you that are in the know. It really is a lot of help to me and other newbies.
Thanks again,
Wally