| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hacienda Brothers-WOW!
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2005 8:53 am    

I've been trying to catch this act for over a year and finally, even though I was gigging the same night (again!!) I got out early enough to shoot across town and catch their last set.

What a great band. If you like their CD you'll love the live show better. My new steel forum buddy Dave Berzansky is the mad scientist of the pedal steel playing on both necks the most tasteful, toneful, sophisticated and in tune playing I've heard in a long time. Way to go Dave! (Nice guy, too!) Chris Gaffney delivers some real powerful and soulful vocals that reminded me of Doug Sahm with that thick leathery whiskey and cigarettes kind of voice. My old pals Hank Maninger on bass and Dave Gonzales on guitar were rock solid and sounded great. It was good to see them again. Drums were awesome-didn't miss a beat!

I'm going back for more when my schedule allows!

Dave Z
david berzansky

san diego
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2005 8:38 am    

Hey Dave thanks very much for the kind words. That was really a fun gig and I am glad you came out and I got to meet you. I enjoyed talking with you and i am looking forward to hearing you play as i keep hearing about how good you are. Hopefully we can get up there again soon, we love playing in the bay area. Hope you are enjoying your new Sho Bud!
Take care
David B
Grant Johnson

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2005 3:03 pm    

I agree, David is a great player! He has the tone and touch. We opened for him earlier this year up in Seattle and loved watching and hearing him play. I am glad that I opened! My playing is rather "unsophisticated" in comparison.

[This message was edited by Grant Johnson on 13 December 2005 at 03:47 PM.]

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2005 3:34 pm    

Dave Z. is a fine player and a fine gentleman as well.

He also should call his place the "Halfway House for Steel Guitars." If you go to a gig with Dave playing it's always a surprise what axe(s) he'll be playing!

He is my hero when it comes to GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

------------------
Mark
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2005 7:40 pm    

Awe shucks now Mark. Thanks but we're getting off topic!

After hearing Dave B. I was inspired to go home and practice with some Jeff Newman courses!

And as far as my GAS problem, I've unloaded a few items recently. I only have 2 ZB D-10s, 2 Fender PSGs, a Kline S-12, a S-10 ShoBud and a Fender 6 string!

So there!
DZ
david berzansky

san diego
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2005 2:59 pm    

Thanks Grant, that was a fun gig up there in seattle. Sorry i didnt hear you play but my buddy said you sounded great. I remember you had a big beautifull red msa...nice. As far as having a gear acquisition problem is concerned i will tell you what cured me...I joined a touring band. Im not complaining or anything and i actually have been able to hang on to my favorite Sho Buds but I sure dont read the buy and sell like i used to.
Dave I'll tell you I could use that Jeff Newman course as much as anybody for sure. I borrowed Newmans c6 course once and i thought it was really a great video. I didnt really get a chance to get into too much but i wish i could go back and spend some real time with it. Speaking of practicing....I think I just might
david b