| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chalker DVD progress report.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 10:01 am    

I'm happy to say that the material has all been re-transferred from tape to DVD and done right this time. Mext, I'll be sendng the disks to Curly's son, who has the facilities to digitally enhance the quality, and perhaps will do some further editing.

I've decided to make 2 different disks available. The first will be just lke the VHS tape- all the music, none of the stuff that took place in between the songs. (Tuning, smoking, talking etc.) This one will run at the highest speed to get the best possible quality.

The second disk, which will run at the slower speed , will include Curlys comments to the audience, but the really boring stuff, like him smoking and drinking will be cut out. This disk will also include a half hour set of Curly with Wade Ray.

My opinion is that this extra material (including the Wade Ray set) is best left on the cutting room floor so to speak, and I'm doing this second disk against my better judgement. But sonce so many of you have said you want this material, I'm going to go ahead and make it.

I want to remind everybody that the camera at the first concert was not turned on until Curly had already started playing, and the recording starts in the middle of the first tune. Furthermore, there are some tracking problems and deterioration of the tape during that first tune, and that particular song is seriously marred. Once the second song starts, everything is OK.

However, the material for the video is culled from 2 different concerts, and there is quite a bit of duplication of songs, including the one in question (a swing version of Blue Eyes Crying In The rain) so there is an intact version of it toward the end of the video.

to be continued......
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 10:25 am    

What if you put a couple of Kenny Chesney videos on there too? You could sell tons of these things!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 11:23 am    

Ernest "T" Bovine! You beat all, you know?
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 1:31 pm    

Mike, you have my utmost admiration. Video editing is both fun and misery at the same time. I have both a Pinnacle/Premiere and a DPS Velocity system that I maintain and occasionally edit stuff with, but leave it to the left brained dudes to operate full time.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 2:01 pm    

VDVs run at different speeds? I did not know that!
Ad Kersten

Beek en Donk, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 2:12 pm    

Mike,

Will that DVD also be usable for Europe (Region 2)?

Ad

------------------
Zumsteel S12U

Yo, Man! homepage

Shaun Marshall

San Rafael California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 2:49 pm    

I have been following this thread for awhile and just want to say a giant thanks to you Mike for all the effort and time you are putting into this project and the way you consider everyone's opinion has been beyond the call of duty. I can hardly wait to see this DVD of Curly, thanks !

------------------
Shaun Marshall
Emmons Legrande D-10
1950's Fender Champion S-6, Regal Dobro

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 3:40 pm    

Kick ass, Mike. Can't wait!

Drew

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Fessenden guitars, 70's Fender Twin, etc.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 3:43 pm    

Quote:
DVDs run at different speeds? I did not know that!

I didn't either. This is a learning experience for me.

It's also (obviously) a labor of love. The tapes of these 2 concerts (which were held 2 weeks apart in December of 1986) contain what might be some of the hottest footage of a steel guitar ever recorded. As caretaker of the tapes, I HAD to see to it that these perfromances were preserved for posterity.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 4:30 pm    

I have many vidios of some of the best,But this is best I've ever seen,Curly WAS the master!!!!The back up band was also great.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2005 6:23 am    

A while back someone referred me to a master of the 6th neck. Try as I can to find the post, I wonder if it wasn't Curly Chalker they were talking about?
Ray Minich

Post  Posted 13 Dec 2005 8:21 am    

When you buy and use a "standalone" DVD burner, you can have the option of recording 1 hour or two hours of video to the same 4.7 gigabyte DVD blank. The compression ratio is what is different, and it is normally referred to as "bit rate".
Production DVD's can have a video bit rate of over 6 mbps with an addtional audio stream of 1.5 mbps. 9 mbps is tops for audio and video added together.

One of the fun trial and error tasks in the video editing studio is to "author" a DVD stream at a bitrate that maximizes video clarity yet allows the whole timeline to fit onto the DVD disk. Sometimes we have to reduce the video data rate down to 4.5 or maybe 3 mbps to fit it all on long plays. The video data rate is selected when "extracting" or generating the MP2 (or MPG or MP-whatever stream) from the file format native to the video non-linear editing system.

For real fun try authoring video for the web. Formats include a host of data rates and pixel formats for .wmv's, .mpg1's, quick time, real player, mp2's, .avi's, among others. Can be a nightmare.

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 13 December 2005 at 08:26 AM.]

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2005 3:02 pm    

There is a lot of GREAT C6th players,But Curly was the MASTER,No doubt about it!!!
Sigi Meissner

Duebendorf, Switzerland
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2005 2:22 am    

Mike, please set me on the waiting list for this DVD. Just Tell me how to order.
Question: How many tunes Curly plays on the C6th neck?
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2005 2:49 am    

I am not equiped to deal with sales. Bobby and Scotty will be handling that.

The fully edited disk (like the VHS tape) contains 2 hours of music, about 90% of which is played on the C6, as only Curly could. The relatively unedited one will contain an additional half hour set of Curly accompanying Wade Ray.

As of this moment, the disks are in the mail, headed to Curlys' son, who will be doing some further edtifing and processing to enhance the quality of the picture and sound. (I don't understand how this is possible.)

Once he has done this, and created 2 master disks to be reporoduced, I will post a notice for people to sign up to order either or both disks.

I am thinking of having 100 copies of the fully edited one pressed, and 25 of the other one. If there is more demand, we can always make more, but I don't want to have hundreds of these things lying around unsold.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2005 6:41 am    

Since this isn't a big studio, international production release,
like Pirates Of The Caribian etc,
With millioins riding on people seeing it in the theaters around the world 1st,
there is no real reason to have region encoding on this at all.

Most short run DVD's don't do this
unless someone makes a weird decision
or screws up on little click box.

It makes multiple pressing runs neccesary, one for EACH region,
so most don't want that, and do a single run.

But better to at least bring the issue to Mike's attention,
since I note he, inadvertantly, didn't respond to the above.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 14 December 2005 at 06:42 AM.]

Ray Minich

Post  Posted 14 Dec 2005 8:08 am    

Yes, please make sure the region code is set to NONE. I think that's standard on the "set top" standalone type DVD recorders.

At the risk of opening up a can of worms, Is this DVD gonna have a menu and chapters?
One of the things we found out about a "set top" recorder is that it put chapter markers every 5 minutes by default.

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 14 December 2005 at 08:09 AM.]

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2005 10:17 am    

Guys, I am a complete amateur at this and know NOTHING about DVD or video production. Somebody compile a list of suggestions, and I'll pass them along to Curly's son, who knows far more about this than I, and will be handling these types of things.