| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Patty Loveless TV shows
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2005 8:16 pm    

There's a few different threads going here now from people who've seen some of Patty Loveless's recent TV appearances with your's truly on steel and/or dobro... I figured I'd start one and mention all of our recent shows; I've never done so much TV in such a short period, though I've not actually seen or heard recordings of any of them yet so only know what they felt like going down...

Last week we went to L.A. to tape the "CBS Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson", we had just part of the band and played an all acoustic version of the the old Steve Earle song "My Old Friend the Blues" with me on dobro; that just aired on Monday Night. Monday through today (Thursday) we were actually in New York; Monday morning was the Don Imus Show that came up in a thread here; it went pretty well I guess except for a bad rental amp. The next morning we played on "Fox and Friends", one song with the small group with me on dobro, a slightly looser performance. Then later that same day we taped an "Emiril Live" which I believe will air in a month or two; We were basically the house band for the day and played lots of little short "bumpers" coming in and out of commercials which was fun, but what was supposed to be our one full song got cut off way early by the credits at the end. I had another malfunctioning amp and ended up playing steel through a Fender "Deluxe" reissue which sounded pretty good, and also played some dobro. Then yesterday (Wednesday) we went to Philadelphia and played two songs on the QVC network,and I had a rented Session 500 which sounded great. I played steel on one song and dobro on the other. Then this morning "Martha", with Martha Stewart; it went pretty well I thought, I had a rented Fender Twin which didn't excite me but it sort of fit the "Mooney" vibe of the steel parts I play on that song... So, a different amp each gig, and 5 TV shows in 4 days! I've got too many NY pals to try to catch up with to get to bed early before the early call times for the morning shows, our first 2 days there we had to leave the hotel at 4 in the morning! I've had about 16 hours sleep total in the last 5 days, but it was fun.

So anyway, I'm not sure what the point is of this post, other than to thank you all for the kind words about the shows you saw!
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2005 8:28 pm    

Way to go Pete- we're all envious- great gig- I love Patty's stuff!
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2005 9:56 pm    

Pete:You don't need no sleep,you can do that when you home,have fun,Stu
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2005 10:51 pm    

Pete, tonight I was working on a push pull guitar and walked thru the house (bathroom break) and Carlene was watching TV. As I walked thru the den she said she saw Patty Loveless on Martha Stewarts show today. She said she thought Patty was singing better than she ever did and then she said "the steel player played the prettiest break and played on lot". I said "what kind of guitar was he playing"? She said "Sierra". Man, she was paying close attention because she usually can't tell me which guitar I played on a given night. Anyway, I just wanted you to know it had to sound real special for her to notice and even more so for her to tell me about it. Nice going!!!
Jerry
Johnny Prevento

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2005 5:25 am    

Hello Pete, I got to see you on Imus. It was a good mix. I thought you really sounded good. How long have you been with Patty? And how do you like your keyless ZUM? johnny
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2005 7:12 am    

Any more coming up, Pete?

thx

bob
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2005 2:13 pm    

Patty is the best female singer on radio today IMO. I like a singer, male or female that don't use a heavey vibrato in their voice. Patty don't use none, which makes her even better.

Terry

------------------
Mullen D10 /8x5 / session 500rd/ American Strat Highway 1 model
steelin for my Lord

Elizabeth Qualls

Baxter Springs,Kansas USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2005 4:57 pm    

Jerry.....that was a very sweet post and I know most of us wives try and keep up and support our spouses for their love of music and all the different brand names of steels you might call it and try and support their playing at different gigs and etc. and I just wanted to tell Carlene that you are a very special person and that you and Jerry are a very beautiful couple and keep up the great support you give to Jerry.You're the best!!
A Friend,~Elizabeth Qualls~
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2005 5:30 pm    

Hey Pete!Glad you are having fun...take care,my brother.

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~steves_garage

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2005 7:09 pm    

Hello Pete,

I caught you playing the black Sierra on the Martha Stewart show... You sounded real good, lots of steel up front in the mix, and a nice traditional, country sound with steel, fiddle, lead guitar, vocals and bass. Great gig! The camera people got some good shots of your hands and guitar too, even cut away to show you playing fills while the vocal was going on!
Larry J., Walton, NY
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 9:58 pm    

I had an experience with pete maybe 10 or 12 years ago[I'm sure he does not remember] but I do.The band I was playing with at the time opened the show for Patty in a same town in Ga. After our set my wife and I were hanging out back stage,Pete came over and introduced himself and payed me a complement on my playing,he stayed and talked to my wife and I about 30 or 45 minutes before he had to go on stage.He was a true modest gentleman. My wife does'nt know the Big E from the Big D ,but over the years once in a while we would see Pete on some t.v. show and she would say,look there's that nice man we met in Buena Vista Ga. I've always wanted to tell him how much I appreciated his kindness,now I can.THANKS PETE.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 9:44 am    

Pete, I saw you playing steel behind Patty on a cooking show. Patty is definitely a great singer and I love her voice. On the cooking show, you were playing a keyless Sierra D-10. You did a great job with Patty on the cooking show! Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2005 5:08 am    

Wow Pete! It wears me out just reading all about it....Reminds me of a few whirlwind Lauderdale weekends....Sure wish I could catch some of those shows. I know some of them have aired already, but if you get any air dates and channel info could you pass them along?

That Allson Moorer special you were on a while back was just great....Hey guys, Pete plays some cool guitar stuff too!!!!
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2005 8:45 am    

Hey y'all,

Thanks for all the kind words... The only show that didn't air either live or within a few days was the "Emeril Live" show on The Food Network... I think they said it would be on in December or January sometime. We don't have anything coming up, though I hope maybe we'll do the Opry TV spot sometime this winter... And who know what reruns might pop up here and there; apparently a Conan O'Brian show I did earlier this year wih Trace Adkins was rerun sometime recently (at least I got another little check...).

I still have yet to see any of the shows I posted about! I'm sure somebody in the band has a wife or girlfriend who recorded them and that I'll get to see them sometime!

thanks again...
Pete

[This message was edited by Pete Finney on 17 November 2005 at 08:47 AM.]

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2005 10:23 am    

Hello Pete, I just did a gig playing steel with Chris Sonnenberg on guitar, he says "hello."