| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Double Stop
Sigi Meissner

Duebendorf, Switzerland
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2005 2:08 am    

The topic might be discussed already. Maybe someone knows a thread.

On the E9th neck I use a the LKR to go from f# to g# and I'd like to keep it like that.
So far I have always "felt" the g bei stopping half the way. This worked quit well in slow phrases. But it is tough to push the knee accurate it in fast licks. Is there another trick or easy mechanical thing I
could use beside build in a costly double stop mechanic?

Thnx for help
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2005 3:17 am    

Sigi, they're not called "double stops", they are called HALF STOPS or FEEL STOPS.

You need the F#->G# change to be on a knee lever where you are also lowering a string. Then you "time" the pull of the lower so that the lower begins to pull when you get the G note.

Use the hex end plate tuner of the lower string to tune the G note. The G note should be tuned at the point where you feel the lower start to engage. You should be able to feel the lower engage because of the lower return spring. You will probably want to increase the tension of the lower return spring so that you easily "feel" the lower engage when you are playing on stage. Once you get this correct, you'll have your half stop.

You need to experiment with setting up the bell cranks properly on both strings so that the raise pull starts before the lower and gets to the G note at about the same time the lower engages and you'll probably only want the lower pull to drop a 1/2 tone.

If you want to have an accurately tuned note on the lower, you will need split tuners to tune the lower string. You might be able to get it close by experimenting with different bell crank positions and different holes in the changer finger.

------------------
[url=http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/jeff's_jazz.htm]Jeff's Jazz[/url]

[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 11 November 2005 at 03:25 AM.]

John Fabian

Mesquite, Texas USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2005 4:16 am    

The simplest solution is to add a pull to an unused lower on the C6 neck (string #1 comes to mind) or a string on the E9 neck that would not be used with that Knee Lever. Tune the F# to G# normally and then tune the new pull so you can feel the detent when G is reached.