| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does this ever happen to you?
Rich Jackson

Cleveland, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2005 5:29 pm    

I had my frist 'cool' out door evening event today. To begin with, every string on my steel seemed to go either flat or sharp even both at the same time {love that}. Once I got er tuned to what seemed to be right, meaning right to my ear and the tuner and thought I hitting the right strings it seemed as though I was playing out in left field! All alone! Hummm
Now mind you, I ain't that good but I ain't that bad {sometimes} I might even hear a lick or run and think, was that me? That sounded almost good :O)
Well so much for this event.Just cause its been 28 years since I played I ain't given up, I refuse too! I've had more better times than not! Anyway, just wondered if anyone else has had this happen... Rich Guy

------------------
Emmons LeGrande III 2005
And a GFI, Nashville 1000,
Dan Electro effects

In the group "By the Cross"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2005 5:36 pm    

Well, up here in Minnesota, I've played more than a few dozen times in cold weather. Just 2 weeks ago, in the low to mid 40's. The only thing you can do is get your steel set up early, let it sit in the weather, don't tune it until a few minutes before you start playing. Then tune as often as possible, because the falling temps affect tuning.

------------------
Marrs D-10, Webb 6-14E

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2005 6:34 pm    

It's also possible that one or more other instruments may have been affected by the temp. Sometimes I think that outdoor acoustics are so different that things may sound off.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum SD12U, Carter D10 8/8, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3, DD-3, Fender Steel King, Understanding wife. http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2005 6:47 pm    

Yeah, that's right. So you have to insist that your bandmates tune up between sets.

------------------
Marrs D-10, Webb 6-14E

Rich Jackson

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2005 7:02 pm    

Thanks for the input guys. I agree with both of you! Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2005 7:44 pm    

This used to happen to me at all the outdoor gigs. Luckily this was back in my drinkin days.

------------------
Rick
Williams & Kline U-12's, Session 500
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2005 7:49 pm    

Just a few years ago, about this time of year, we played a pig roast for a car club out on a big farm. The band set up on a hay wagon but there wasn't enough room for me.

Someone parked an old pickup truck beside the wagon and I set up in the bed facing out the back of it. The wood floor was uneven, rotten and full of holes. It was parked on a slant and my pacaseat had a vinyl covered pad. My butt was freezing and I kept sliding toward the keyhead end due to the vinyl and angle of the truck. It was barely above freezing and the wind was whipping around the corner.
I had a coat on with the collar turned up. My hands were so cold I couldn't feel the bar or the strings. Tuning was a nightmare and the sound was awful. Noone was in tune together at the same time. The pig was good, but when the show rolled around the next year, I declined the gig. Acutally, that day, I made a decision to never do another outdoor gig after Sep.
Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2005 9:44 pm    

1st wk-end in oct. is our cut-off date for outside gigs,, This Nw. corner of Az. ya can't ever tell what the weather is gonna be like after this time, and I've seen it pretty dang bad for this gig!! I just keep telling myself how much fun I'm having!! LOL..

------------------
Emmons S/D-10, 3/5, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

Rich Jackson

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 6:04 am    

Thanks again guys for the input. I should consider myself blessed that I even get to play in a group. So thank you Lord for using me! Rich Guy
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 9:05 am    

Michael stated he played with the temperatures in the 40's. There is no way I can play outside in cold weather. I am just a wintertime wimp. I do enjoy playing outdoors and many times the sound if fine to me. The warmer the better for me. I wonder how the cold affects a guitar compared to the heat?
James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 3:23 pm    

Not since I bought John Hughey's "On and Off Stage" and saw the cover photo. I can't say I've ever done what he did, but should the occasion arise, I'll be ready.
Les Green

Jefferson City, MO, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 3:42 pm    

One of the bands I played in several years ago, backed up Leona Williams at a benefit for MD or Cancer or something like that. Anyway the temp was 37 degrees. We all had on heavy coats and I had a hand-warmer that I shared with the lead man. Gave up on tuning after about the second song. One of the most miserable jobs I ever played. Never again!
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 6:10 pm    

I've played in 112 degree weather (ONCE), Melted the coating on the wiring of my C-6th pickup, requiring a new rewind as it shorted out at 6000 DC resistance. Originally was 20,000 ohms.

Also played in the cold 36 degrees. It's like holding a popsicle in your hand. Forget about tuning or any fast fingering. Went to the chow line and put two foil wrapped baked potatoes in my jacket pockets. It'll keep your hands warm for about an hour. The foil will come off on your hands, then you get baked potato on your bar. What a mess. Music was meant to be played inside. JMO
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 7:42 pm    

I did a few outdoor gigs recently and even though the temp wasn't too cold, the tuning issues were heavy. And it wasn't just the steel...the whole band had a hard time keeping in tune.
At most outdoor shows with the pedal steel, I feel like I'm out of touch with the band -and I never play well when I'm constantly tweaking the pedals and levers. At times, the whole steel sounds flat or sharp, and no vibrato or compensation of any kind seems to do the trick.
Playing pedal steel outside is a real drag, in my experience. Last week we did an outdoor show where it was so cold we could see our breath. Where was my Sho-Bud? Home in my warm house while my tele battled the elements.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 11:23 pm    

In the past, I've played outside jobs where the temperature would drop down also freezing. Back then I played old guitars and used second hand amps,etc. It didn't really matter about the Psg because I had to work on everything I had back then. I wouldn't do it now. Matter of fact, I wouldn't even consider playing outside in the cold weather. Luckily, I can buy new amps and guitars when I want them now. No way I would put my 3000.00 Carter out in the elements or any of my equipment. I'll stay at home!
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2005 12:37 am    

It never was a problem to the lads at the "Halekulani Hotel"
Baz

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2005 9:44 am    

This seems comical in memory, but at the time it was not funny. In Butte, Montana on the Fourth of July I played in a parade on a flat bed trailer pulled by a semi. They gave use T shirts with some kind of logo to wear. The trailer was rocking from side to side which made it impossible to hold the bar on tre frets but it sure gave you a big vibrato. Within moments after starting there were snow flakes in the air. I was a new steeler, and was raised in the heat of central California, so I was not sure I would survive. I did survive but haven't been quite right since.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum SD12U, Carter D10 8/8, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3, DD-3, Fender Steel King, Understanding wife. http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2005 10:02 am    

OK, you guys. I have the solution to all of this – as proven by my own experiences. If you don’t want weather (too hot, too cold, too wet, etc.) to affect your playing, here’s what you have to do:

(1) Get another profession as your primary source of income and make music a hobby (as I did).

(2) Work 40 years (as I did) – or at least 20 years.

(3) Retire and start drawing a pension (and possibly Social Security) as I did.

(4) Return to music as your primary interest (but as a hobby, not a source of income) as I did.

(5) Then play only when, where and what you want – as I and some other steelers I know do. (I only play inside gigs where the temperature is between 70 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit. The comfort level is great, the axe stays in tune, and you soon get used to the zero pay.)

If this isn’t possible or practical for your personal situation, keep a good tuner and a few baked potatoes handy on the gig.

Sorry, I just had to rub it in a little.

=========================================

All in jest; no offense intended.

------------------

Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

Rich Jackson

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 5:07 am    

One thing for sure, I have found out that I am not in the boat alone, Thanks guys for sharing your personal experinces. Some are a hoot! I will try and remember to take baked potatoes with me! )~ And no pun was taken...Rich Guy
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 6:19 am    

Played a gig a few years ago on top of a mountain in West Virginia, temp in the 30's,
with almost gale force winds.
All the guests were in the heated lodge, looking out the windows at us. When we started playing Christmas songs, they got the hint and told us we could quit and paid us.
Albert Svenddal

Minneapolis, MN
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 4:45 pm    

As a lifetime member of the frozen tundra of the north (Minnesota), I have also had my share of playing in extreme cold and blasting heat. But there are several advantages to playing in the cold such as: 1. You don't have to worry about vibrato with you hands shaking constant 2. You will never lose your bar when you put a little moisture on your hands 3. You don't have to worry about how bad you sound because everyone sane is indoors and won't hear you 4. Once you get your guitar in tune, if its cold enough, it will stay in tune. and fianally you can always use the excuse for your bad playing when you have to have gloves on. ahh ahh, wintertime in Minnesnowota.

------------------
Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 6:02 pm    

And whatever you do, don't put your tongue on the bar.

------------------
Marrs D-10, Webb 6-14E

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 6:21 pm    

When in extreme cold and your fingers won't move, try Grandpa Jones Clawhammer technique. If it's cold enough, no one will care anyway.
Larry R

Navasota, Tx.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2005 4:39 pm    

Man am I glad I read this thread. I don't feel so bad now about the tuning issues I've had.

Thanks guys