| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Hall of Famer.....RED RHODES!!!!!
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 1:30 pm    

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

I just cannot express into words how happy I am to see Red Rhodes being inducted as one of the legends of the pedal steel guitar. I, as well as many others, have been very persistent in nominating Red year after year…this is just a fantastic day for all of us.

Some of Red’s fantastic accomplishments (in chronological order):

* Fronted the house band at the Palomino in the late ‘60s

* Helped develop the first pedal steel guitar produced by Fender

* Crossed over to the rock scene playing sessions on the West coast with everyone from The Byrds to The Monkees

* Named “Steel Guitar Player of the Year” by the Academy of Country Music in 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968 & 1972

* Was one of the top session players in the 1970s, playing for dozens of stars (James Taylor, The Carpenters, Carole King, John Phillips (of Mamas & Papas), Harry Nilsson....wow!)

* Along with fellow pedal steel players Rusty Young and Jay Dee Maness, was one of the pioneers of the Country-Rock movement of the late-‘60s/early-‘70s playing with Michael Nesmith from 1970-1975 (and again in 1992)

* Renowned for his famous and expert work with electronics. Red ran an amp shop called “Red’s Royal Amp Service” where he was known internationally for his work customizing Fender tube amplifiers

* Developed his own line of pickups for Tele players, “Velvet Hammer” pickups, which are worth hundreds of dollars today. He also developed various electronic gadgets specifically for steel guitar (including stereo pickups)

On a more personal note….while I know it sounds cliché, I honestly doubt there is another fan out there that is more proud of him receiving this honor than I am. I have been a huge fan of his since I was 10 years old, and having been exposed to only him and Lloyd Green in my youth, it is strictly their influence and musicianship that drove me to the world of steel guitar. I say with pride that most of the licks I know are Red Rhodes licks….he was such a unique player (playing his own 13th tuning) and one of the most difficult to replicate….to paraphrase what another Forumite wrote on here years ago, YOU ALWAYS KNOW WHEN YOU ARE LISTENING TO RED RHODES. He is that unique, that inspirational…..he can make an average song GREAT.

I am so disappointed that I did not make it to St. Louis this year. Not only was I unable to play my slot on Thursday, I missed one of the moments that would have made my year.

Congratulations Red, wherever you are. You deserve this…you are truly one of the greats.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 2:10 pm    

Very good news indeed. Red has been an important influence for many of us.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 2:42 pm    

Indeed Red deserves this honor. Was anyone else inducted?. I have been away from a PC
Al Gershen

Grants Pass, OR, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 3:07 pm    

What a real pleasant piece of news!

Since around 1964 (when Red Rhodes acquired a Fender 800), I have been playing Red's Fender 1000....the same guitar Red used in his many recording sessions and at the Palomino Club during the early 1960s.

If Red had one strong musical quality, it was his ability to create "new licks" and incorporate them in his playing.

I can still remember visiting Red when I was younger, living in Los Angeles, and he'd say to me, "Come over here, Al...I want you to listen to this lick."

I hope this announcement of Red Rhodes being inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame is welcome news for his family.

It really made my weekend!

------------------
Regards,
Al Gershen
Grants Pass, Oregon. USA
Fender 1000 (1957),
Fender PS 210 (1970) &
Gibson Electraharp EH-820 (1961)
Al's Photographs at http://www.alsphotographs.com

[This message was edited by Al Gershen on 03 September 2005 at 04:08 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 3:22 pm    

I was honored to present the plaque to Red's wife Diane, and his grandson Kevin Farmer and his wife Angie. I hadn't contacted Diane in a few years and when RR was nominated and elected, it was a great pleasure to renew our friendship.

I would also like to thank Joe Alterio and Jason Odd for their exhaustive research in preparing the documentation for Red's nomination and induction. They were totally on target and did a great job of keeping Red's honor a secret for the past year.

Being on the Steel Guitar Convention Board, which handles the work of the HOF, can be an uncomfortable position at times, but the great reward comes when I can contribute to the happiness of the family of a man who was my mentor and my friend.

Being with Diane, Kevin, Angie, James, Paula, and the rest of Red's friends here and seeing their joy at the ceremony was the best thing about the convention for me so far.

I believe Red was present as well. I miss you, my friend.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 4:16 pm    

That is good news about Red Rhodes. I thought he was in the SGHOF years ago.

I remember him in California, we were both using a form of a E13ths tuning. He was always experimenting, he had a pedal he pushed that gave him a different tuning and when he kicked it, it went back to normal. I don't know how to explain it, maybe like the lock on the U12's now. He was a genius...al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 5:57 pm    

That is soooo great!Red was always trying to help me get by when I moved to L.A.from Texas,What an honor for a great man,and a very funny dude.I miss him very much.His family must be proud.
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 6:34 pm    

Herb,

I am speechless....your thanks means a lot. To hear from one of the members of the induction committee that I was part of making this moment happen....well, it really does mean a lot to me. And that's a very big understatement in typewritten form.

I would also like to recognize an old friend of Red's, Gerald Ray, who was instrumental in sending a barrage of e-mails to dozens, if not hundreds, of people encouraging them to send in nomination forms for Red.

Joe
Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 7:12 pm    

If spirits can grin, I'm sure RR is flashing a big one right now. Rest easy Red, ya done good. JON Z.
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 9:11 pm    

In 1963 Capitol Records organized a 20th anniversary in Bakersfield for Cousin Herb Henson. Ken Nelson recorded the gala event for a double album release with the Capitol roster of Who's Who acts in their family. Much to my dismay, I didn't buy the album but the talent line-up that night was unequalled since.
I don't remember the singer he accompanied, but when I saw Red playing for the first time, I could tell he was a real pro and tried to follow his career when I could. He was an innovator as well as a fine player.
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 8:12 am    

Herbster, ditto on what Joe wrote.

I have been a little distracted by prior work committments, and a new job role altogether, however there should be a new Red Rhodes tribute online soon.

Joe of course was the first (and to date only) one to do an online tribute to Red.
To Joe and Herb's tireless promotion of Red, I say thank-you both.
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 10:51 am    

Alas, my online tribute to Red Rhodes has been unaccessible for me to update since around 2002. I recently closed off my AOL accounts, so I have no idea how much longer that it will remain up...which is a good thing, since there is so much information that Jason has provided to me over the years that I have not been able to put on there.

Jason, you have my word that any help you need in terms of write-ups, pictures, etc. for your Red Rhodes online tribute page will be given to you. Just ask, and ye shall receive! (and thanks for the thanks...and for helping to make this moment happen!)

Joe
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 11:47 am    

Does anyone have a photo to share of the induction presentation?
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 1:45 pm    

Here is a photo of Red's Hall Of Fame Plaque:

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf
Joe Shelby

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 3:01 pm    

Gary--

The Cousin Herb Henson album that you refer to is called "Country Music Hootenanny," which featured Buck, Rose Maddox, Tommy Collins, Glen Campbell, Roy Clark, Jean Shepard, Merle Travis, Joe and Rose Lee Maphis, Roy Nichols and others. It was issued
late 1963 or early '64 as Capitol T2009.
The cover does not list the names of the (Trading Post) band members, but the cover shot shows what is probably a Fender 1000
with that "board cover" some Bigsby and (later) Fender players used to cover the area
below the front apron down to the pedal bar.
In this particular picture, Fuzzy Owens' name
is prominently stenciled. So from this (long
winded explanation) I would assume that it was not Red on this particular record.
Could someone explain to us youngsters why
the "board cover" was used? I think Red also
had one at one time. Was it to hide the pedal rods so nobody could begin to guess
if you had pedals or what your pedal setup was? The Bigsby "boards" were nice, particularly, as they often were birdseye maple.
I am glad that Red finally made it in;as it
says in some of the posts here, he helped a
lot of players in the L.A. area over the years, as well as being an innovator in the playing,
tuning, construction, and building of steels.
I think his Fender Princeton mods predated
the whole amplifier modding/hot rodding/rebuilding industry that is taken for granted these days.I think the earliest
Mesa Boogie designs (bOb?) were based on Red's Fender Princetons.

Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Shelby on 07 September 2005 at 04:57 PM.]

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 6:21 pm    

Walter....thanks for putting a huge smile on my face!

Could someone please enlighten me on the "Rhodes Strut" cabinet modification? I am embarrased to say that as much as I know about Red, I have never heard of this.

Joe
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 10:03 pm    

Joe S, that was quite a lineup that evening. It's also the first time that I saw Merle Haggard. He was starting to make some great noise and when he walked into the room, he walked like "somebody."
Yes, if a bomb had gone off, it would've put Capitol out of the Country Music business. It was a once-in-a lifetime roster.
Glen Campbell was also starting to rise in the business after his "Too Late To Worry" hit.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 2:27 am    

Red Rhodes very deserving!
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 5:50 am    

Red's amp repair shop was literally less than half a block from where my wife worked at the time. Laurie had not yet learned to drive and usually rode a bicycle to work (it was only 4 miles from our house) but sometimes I drove her, and when I did I often stopped in to say hello to Red. He always kept a steel at the shop, and whenever I stopped in, he would show me some new lick or song he had learned.

He was a good friend, and I miss him.
Oldpicker

Weatherford Ok, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 12:09 pm    

No one deserves the award better than Red, although I am not a steel player I new Red as friend for many years, and loved his playing. On new years eve 1960/1961 I had just arrived in Ca. a few weeks earlier and as I aproached the door of the Palomino a man was carrying his equipment in and I helped him carry it to the bandstand. We talked for a while as he got set up and it turned out to be Red on is first night playing with Gene Davis. We became good friends and over the years I spent many hours enjoying his playing. I made him two stainless steel bars that he asked me to make but never knew what he did with them. While I was a part time singer and lead guitar player we never played together much but I always enjoyed it when I did. Anyway i'll never forget a great musician, "Red Rhodes:... Ace Tipton, Weatherford Ok...
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2005 7:05 am    

During the induction ceremony (at least, as broadcast on Steel Radio), there were many accolades from famous players about L.T. Zinn, and very deservedly so. As Red is no longer with us, there was not an opportunity for such comments to be made.

I have always wondered who in the professional pedal steel world were impacted by Red, either by his playing, his technical expertise, his personality or any combination thereof.

And let me ask again...what is the Rhodes' Strut as pertains to cabinet design? Perhaps one of the steel builders (or Scotty...or Herb) could answer this question? I had never heard of it.

Joe
Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2005 10:01 am    

I knew Red and played many sessions with him in the 1970s. We had a lot of laughs. He was always working on something new, especially with electronics and pickups. Skunk Baxter got his start working in Red's shop. I've still got a Velvet Hammer pickup in the Tele.
Evan Elkin

Portland Oregon
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2005 5:28 pm    

anyone have a classic Red Rhodes mp3 they could post or email to me?