| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Johnny Cox and Bobby Flores in St. Louis
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 6:04 pm    

I stayed up late Friday night to hear Johnny Cox and Bobby Flores. It was some of the best music I have ever heard. It was equal to the time Ray Price and Emmons came to the Convention. Johnny's playing was in one word--Perfection! Most everyone knows Bobby Flores is my favorite singer. What a voice, and what a talent on the fiddle. I knew he had to love Tommy Jackson. Oh yes--stand up bass. Bobby Flores and Jake Hooker are two great singers who support steel guitar. Their recordings feature the steel guitar as the main lead instrument. Support these two great singers and players, by buying their CD's. Their CD's usually feature the talents of several steel players on one CD. Bobby and Jake put steel guitar front and center, as I think it should be. Bobby and Jake are two nice,good, friendly hearted people. Bobby and I had a good talk in St. Louis. I suggested to Bobby to take a listen to Mel Street, and Wynn Stewart, for tunes for their next CD's. If I die and go to heavan, I hope I get to play in their band some day!
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 6:15 pm    

Bobby Flores is one of the most talented musicians I have ever heard. He is also a killer steel player, lead guitar player, Bass player, Engineer, as well as fiddle player. (He plays all the guitar parts on his CD's). I had the chance to meet and talk with him at the convention. He's a very humble guy with a triple helping of talent. WAKE UP MAJOR LABELS. Ohhh, sorry, I forgot, they don't like real country music so they would not be interested.
Keith, thanks for making a great volume control pedal.
Lanny Carnley

Lufkin, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 6:17 pm    

Keith, I agree whole heartedly with everything I in your post, and not only is Bobby Flores a supporter of steel guitar he is an excellent steel player as well.
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 6:43 pm    

Johnny Cox and Bobby Flores and the guys knocked them dead in the Jefferson room !!!!!!!!!!!!
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 12:06 am    

Steve Dodson

Sparta, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 9:51 am    

Speaking of Bobby Flores, there is not much I can add as to what has been said here by everyone else. But just think about it, how many Musician's do you know that, Could walk up to the Mic and Sing with the BEST of them,and then play as good of Fiddle,Lead Guitar with the best of them,and what I've heard of his Steel playing is pretty darn good to go along with it.Very Very exceptional Man. For those of you who have not heard this man, Check out his latest CD."Too Many Rivers" and you will see what all the BuZZZZ is about. Almost forgot "Keith" I think that was a great ideal as for you to mention to Bobby about the Mel Street Song's, give's me the Chill's thinking of what Bobby could do with those songs.

[This message was edited by Steve Dodson on 08 September 2005 at 10:58 AM.]

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 10:57 am    

I am more and more convinced that radio stations are paid to play songs. I was watching the T.V. and a Nashville producer was talking. He said he was a rock music fan at heart, but his job in Nashville was producing Country artists. There lies the root of the problem. The Bluegrassers don't care what the radio stations play, they know what they like and they support the kind of music they like. As steel players we need to support the kind of music we like, just like the Bluegrassers. Buy all of Bobby Flores and Jake Hooker's CD's. I'm not about to buy a Country record produced by a producer who has Rock Music at heart. I'm not a sheep.
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 11:11 am    

Who couldn't use a dozen friends as nice and as humble as Bobby Flores?

There was little doubt as to what the St. Louis crowd wanted to hear as they voted with their feet and packed in around the small stage.
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 12:10 pm    

Ahhh. Texas music. Played by the best.
I am lucky to hear Johnny Cox, and Bobby Flores often in Ft. Worth. Bobby is getting good airtime on XM radio.

I think this is a great way to feature steel guitar. Maybe this format will stick.

Ron
Gordon Borland

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 4:10 pm    

Bobby has one of the best dance bands ever. My prayer is that He finds a song and gets the backing he needs to fly in that rare air of the greats. It would sure be great if George Strait, Garth Brooks Ray Benson and others like them to take an intrest in Bobby and help make it happen for him.

------------------
Gordon Borland
MSA D10,FENDER STEEL KING, NASHVILLE 400,PEAVEY SESSIONS 2000, 1963 BROWN FENDER DELUXE NO REVERB. 1973 FENDER JAGUAR SUNBURST SIX STRING GUITAR, PEAVEY T60 SIX STRING GUITAR.

Bobby Flores

Blanco, Texas, U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 9:32 pm    

Many thanks for the kind words you guys. I appreciate it a bunch!

I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with you Keith. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I appreciate your very generous support amigo. And thanks for building the best volume pedal ever! It's under my horn right now.

It was so cool to be around so many steelers there in St. Louis, I had a blast! It was a real pleasure getting to meet so many guys and gals that I have spoken with but never got to meet in person. It was also nice to see so many friends that I don't get to see much these days. And it was a real pleasure to meet new folks and make new friends.

Getting to visit with Eddie Stubbs, Bruce Zumsteg, John Hughey, Keith, ... I was one happy camper I'll tell you that!

Thanks to all the folks that stayed up with us Friday night and encouraged and supported us through the Late, Late, Late Set. Can you believe Jr. Knight on GUITAR?? He was diggin' deep and was playing some of the best, hardest swingin' be-bop lines I've heard in a long while. Yeah man!! And I believe we were all in awe of Laney Hicks (Wow) who was kind enough to grace our stage that night. Unbelievable singer and sweet as they come. She's got a new major fan here. Laney, can I play in your band??? Thanks also to Bob Plunkert and Mike Silar for helpin' us out onstage that night as well.

So many of the players did such outstanding sets. First I walked in and Doug Journigan was blowing absolute doors. What a way to start things off for me. I was into his chromatics and how he was using them to fly around with. I couldn't take notes fast enough. And Russ Hicks and Randy Beavers were tighter that ever with their twin steel set. That was way cool and they were dead on in tune with each other, very cool voicings, etc. Very nice guys!!

Johnny Cox did one awesome job and it was a treat to play beside him. And Saturday night was special. I got to hear Joan play and I was knocked out! She is a musician's musician and played so in tune, I was just floored. What a conscientious player, got to love that gal. I thought she nailed it with a big sledgehammer. Then Johnny stepped up to the plate to close the evening, and hit a home run as far as I'm concerned. He was so focused and played so well. It was a pleasure to be there on stage!

Thanks to my bud Jim Loessberg for sharing his booth with me. Jim had an awesome set and did an incredible job! Played his tail off and I was proud of him!! Tone for days.... Not only is he a world-class player but he's also a great teacher. Check out his instructional material and his new CD "Sawed Off Shotgun". You'll be glad you got it.

I enjoyed seeing & hearing my bud Joe Wright again. It is very difficult to play that clean with overdrive! Joe,... you ROCK! And you had me in stitches.

And what a hoot it was to hear and play next to Bobby Caldwell again! Taste and tone. Man, when he and Johnny were trading fours,... that was hot! You are a guitar hero of mine Mr. Caldwell!

Sorry about the novel here. There were just so many great moments and I had to mention a few of them. I can't wait for next year!

Thanks Scotty for another great Convention. It was a great success and I am thankful I got to be there. Thanks Larry King for your post too. You are too kind my friend and I sincerely thank you and Steve Matlock for being there with us Sunday night at the Cabaret in Bandera!

Bobby
www.bobbyflores.com
www.yellowroserecords.com
Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2005 4:18 am    

Bobby is building quite a following here in north Texas too. Last time he played Fort Worth it was standing room only. The word is getting out. If you give people a quality product, they will support you. And Bobby and his band is quality all the way!

------------------
Zum U-12 w/True Tone pickup thru a Nashville 112

Strats thru a VHT Super 30

Band Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2005 11:52 am    

Wow, what a weekend. I got to play with the best fiddle player in the world, Bobby Flores. I got to play with Laney and Bob and Mike. And that rhythm section, Billy Linneman and Jim Loseberg, what a treat. Old Junior showed up for the showdown too. Friday night was so special for me.
I am honored that Paul Franklin asked me to join him, Larry and John for the tribute set on Sunday. It is really hard to play sitting next to your heros. Thanks to all who were so kind to Joan and I all weekend. And thanks to Scotty for have us Texas guys do the Friday night "red eye" set.

Johnny
Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2005 1:46 pm    

old???

------------------
Bb is where it's at!