| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Passing The Mantle
Jack Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 11:45 am    

I have had many great gigs in my career but the Connie Smith job is definately a steel players dream. I have been fortunate to have had that job 3 times. In fact if I had stayed with Connie I would have been with her nearly 20 years. I was asked if I was interested in coming back to work with her a year and a half ago After the urging of great friends like Tommy White, Lloyd Green, Russ Hicks, Hal Rugg and many more to play again I agreed to with the understanding that my family came first my business came second and then playing came third. I honestly felt that I could juggle all three and play for a loving not a living for the first time. I was wrong. I guess I'm not as young as I used to be.

All that being said three weeks ago I told Connie and the boys that I needed to focus on those things more important and I would have to leave. In times passed I couldn't leave until I was sure that someone was there that would care as much about this job as I did. This time was no exception. Connie's new steel player is Gary Carter. Many of you know him from Faith Hill or more recently Daryl Singletary. None the less I'm leaving the job in great hands.

I'm not stopping playing. I still do my fair share of sessions. My cd dulication business is busy and my family is great. Sometimes we have to make decisions and this was the right one for me right now.
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 12:52 pm    

Jack,
Very nice post. However, I, along with many will miss hearing you play at the Grand Ole Opry, as you know you are one of my very favorites. Always great tone, fresh ideas and an inspiration.
I'm sure we will be in touch. After all, it's my turn to buy lunch!
All the best ol' friend.
T.W.

[This message was edited by Tommy White on 27 August 2005 at 05:52 AM.]

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 4:33 am    

Jack: I remember playing a show with you & Connie Smith back around 1991 0r 92. It was at the Wills Mountain Grove in Hyndman Pa. I was the steel guitar player for the staff band there & played rhythm guitar with you guys that day. Your great playing and your super nice personality made the day for me. I only wish I had gotten a picture of you & I together, I still cherish the picture of Connie & myself. I wish you only the best my friend & hope to see you out there again sometime.

Ernie Pollock http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm

------------------
Butch Foster

Pisgah, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 6:18 am    

Mr. Smith, thanks for all the excellent music you have given us!
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 1:55 pm    

I second that motion, "Once A Day" is a signature piece of steel.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 5:48 am    

Jack, I understand the decision you have made. You are a fantastic player and I know Connie Smith must have been proud of you as her steel player. While I am a big Connie Smith fan my favorite Jack Smith recording is on the Happy Goodmans album "Wanted Live" recorded in St.Louis. I believe the year was 1971 if my memory serves me correctly. The steel playing on that record is awesome. The licks and the sound are just bone chilling. I love to hear so many steel players today but occasionally I pull out that album and just lay on the floor and enjoy.
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 6:45 pm    

Jack, We have never met or worked together, but I have always enjoyed your playing very much. I understand where you are coming from and wish you the very best. I hope to shake your hand someday and maybe sometime we can pick a few. Best to you and yours, Bobby
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 5:16 am    

My favorite Jack Smith recording is the Goodman Band album "100 Miles Outa Nashville". His rendition of "The Lighthouse" will knock your hat in the creek. He was a young feller back then, I'll bet he can really play some steel now. LOL

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 11:42 am    

Jack

it will definitely be our loss at the Opry!

You've always been a great player and you and Connie have been such a good match, I was so glad when you had came back to work with her. I don't think anyone has ever played that job any better! I have always enjoyed hearing you play as well as talking about the "old" days.

We'll miss ya, my freind, but I totally understand your reasoning. Just be sure and stop by the Opry once in a while and say "hi!".

Dave
Dick Phillips

Brownsville, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 10:50 pm    

Jackie, I first want to say that I have always enjoyed your playing.
Do you remember back in the 70's when you used to come into Leon Harris's studio in Denair, Calif.You even helped us a couple of times when we were recording. At that time,we were recording Gospel albums.
We used to evangelize, but now we are pastoring a church in Calif.
Glad to be able to corespong with you again.
Dick Phillips
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 5:19 pm    

Jack:
Like Tommy said, great post. And you are certainly a great player.

I surely understand what you're saying here. It's the very reason I left Gene back in the late 80s and you took my place. It was the right choice for me then and even though I felt otherwise at times I know now more than ever just how right of a choice it really was.

I'm kinda' having my cake and eating it too, so to speak as of now. And I'm doing the same juggling act that you've been doing lately. For now it's working for me but I'm sure the day will come that it'll be too much. At 50, it's not as easy as it was 20 yrs. ago either.

I'm very sure you're doing what's right for you and no-one would know that better than yourself. You're a great player so don't let that get away either. Folks need to hear you.

Best Regards,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 6:32 am    

Jack, I turn my car radio to the Opry on the way home from weekend gigs, hoping to hear you playing with Connie.....YOU WILL BE MISSED!
I have told you that you influenced me early in my career...something that I have never been able to get over....and hope I never will!
Stay in touch,
Reggie
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 7:26 am    

Jack, When I put on my Connie Smith album, the steel is just fabulous! I think to my self, "Now that's the way it's supposed to be done!" As a newbie to steel, you have inspired me. Thankyou. Just a fan. Enjoy your family!