| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Magnatone Lap Steel
Mike Harmon

Overland, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2004 5:39 pm    

A friend of mine just gave me an old Magnatone lap steel!

This one has a dark gray MOTS finish, white squarish plastic open-gear tuning pegs and a straight-sided shape which tapers from the width at the nut to its widest at the tail end of the guitar. The pickup is hidden under the pearloid coating, and there is a thin chrome pickup "cover" with a volume control on the high E side. There's a small access panel on the back of the guitar, and the cord is permanently attached and comes out through a metal eyelet on the bottom edge of the guitar just below the volume control. The saddle and nut are aluminum, and the strings come through the body from eyelets on the back. The guitar sounds really nice tuned up on C6. There is a decal on the headstock which says "Magnatone", and a serial number plate opposite the nut which says its serial number is 14828.

I've done some research, and I don't seem to be able to find this guitar anywhere. All of the Magnatones I've found were either the "thin-neck/wider body" design, or else they had an hourglass "guitar" shape. It may be one of those Supro/Valco/Nationals, but I wasn't aware they made any lap steels with the Magnatone name.

Anyone out there who can give me any more info?

Thanks,
Mike
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2004 6:28 pm    

I can't say enough good things about Magnatone lap steels, they sound great and I love the prices.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2004 6:41 pm    

Those are very common steels, and come up frequently on EBAY. Fine sounding in any tuning, and nice and light. This is also what Jerry Byrd has waiting for new students as a loaner, until they get going with their own.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2004 6:58 am    

My first steel was a blue Magnatone with a matching amp made in the 50's I believe. There were many different models made by Magnatone and I'm sorry I can't really help you identify yours, but I'm pretty sure someone will chime in that knows. Just wanted to say that these are really nice sounding guitars for the money. The little amps with their 6" - 8" speakers are just fabulous for that wonderful old lo-fi steel sound. Great for recording. Wish I had kept my matching set, because they're getting a little pricey, if you can find them. Had to trade it in to get my T8 Stringmaster. Enjoy your lap steel!
Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2004 10:45 am    

Mike, your guitar sounds exactly like an earlier version of the one I found recently on eBay - same body shape and tuners, but mine has two controls and a 1/4" jack rather than the attached cord, and is blue. Due I suppose to its light weight and pickup design, it has an airier, almost acoustic-like tone, as compared to the thicker Rickenbacker and Valco sounds. C6 does sound very good on it, as does B11 (I switch mine between the two). I hope you enjoy yours! BTW, I've never seen this model shown/described anywhere either...