| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Al Perkins
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2005 5:25 pm    

Not too much buzz about Al here. ..just wanted to say that I'm working on a couple of tunes that he played on and trying to cop his licks is a real chore for me!
On the D. Yoakam "This Time" album from several years back, Al's dobro work on "Home for Sale" is hauntingly beautiful. He gets the intro and a 32 bar solo. Great stuff. I came across this tune while doing homework for "Fast as You" organ part a couple years ago.

Lately, I'm working on his ""Atrium" pedal steel instrumental off the Pacific Steel compilation. This thing is 25+ years old and still sounds fresh to me. I got the changes OK, but it doesn't sound like Al!
I first became aware of him in the 70's. Like a lot of you, I really got hooked on the pedal steel through the country rock scene.
I think my first introduction to Al's playing was the FBB Last of the Red Hot Burritos.
Anybody know what he's up to lately?

[This message was edited by Jerry Overstreet on 13 June 2005 at 11:33 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jerry Overstreet on 14 June 2005 at 07:19 AM.]

Bob Eldridge

Bartlesville, OK USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2005 8:56 pm    

Jerry, I went to high shcool with Al EONS ago, in Odessa, Texas. He was as much a standout then as he is now. He offered his regrets that he'd be unable to attend a high school reunion we have planned for July. He'll be in Colorado with Michael Martin Murphy (I believe) during that month. He has a website; http://www.alperkinsmusic.com/ . Check it out ...

------------------
Bob's Place bobeldridge@bobeldridge.com GFI S-10D - ProFX2 + 2 Nashville 1000's

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2005 9:21 pm    

Al just put a B-Bender Tele solo on Richie Furay's upcoming CD for us this past weekend--sounds great!!

I also really liked his dobro work with the Nash Ramblers

[This message was edited by John Macy on 13 June 2005 at 10:37 PM.]

Nate LaPointe

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2005 9:27 pm    

I love Al's work with the Burrito Bros.

------------------
www.natelapointe.net

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2005 10:29 pm    

Al plays steel and Dobro on a John Prine record called In Spite of Ourselves. He sounds great. Also appearing on steel is Dan Dugmore and Buddy Emmons.
DZ
Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2005 4:59 am    

Someone mentioned on another post that Al was
playing on a DVD Tribute to Gram Parsons.I have it and there's lots of Al on it. Some weird vocal styles for some of the songs but
a great band in general with a wonderful back-up singer and Nora Jones as highlights.

[This message was edited by Chuck McGill on 14 June 2005 at 06:00 AM.]

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2005 6:18 am    

Thanks for the link, Bob. Thanks for all the other info too, guys/

"B" bender huh? I did not know that!
So that is probably him doing the guitar part on the Atrium instrumental?

I remember he was experimenting with some straight tunings for rock on pedal steel also. Quite an innovative steeler and all around musician.
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2005 8:50 am    

Al played some hauntingly beautiful Dobro on Iris Dement's "Troublesome Waters". It sounds simple, but it gives me chills every time I hear it!

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2005 9:08 am    

I love Al Perkins!!

Drew

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Fessenden D-10 8/8, Fessenden SD-12 5/5 (Ext E9), Magnatone S-8, N400's, BOSS RV-3

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2005 10:42 am    

I was always a big fan of Al's.. stole lots of licks from him!!!... Liked his work with the Burritos and Steve Stills...bob
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2005 11:22 pm    

I`ve been meaning to start a thread on Al Perkins for some time now and here`s why:
Hot lick are fine but in the real world supporting the song and the singer is what counts,IMO. Listen to Al`s playing on Buddy Millers albums to hear some of the most tastefully understated steel ever . Tone , intonation and a perfect feel for what the song needs , it`s all there . Yes, Al Perkins is one of my favoite steel players....

------------------
Olli Haavisto,
Finland

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 3:42 am    

The solo on" Jesus gave love away for free "on the double Manassas album still does it.Plenty of others too but that one stands out
Brendan
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 4:08 am    

I remember reading somewhere YEARS ago [Guitar player??]that Al was a very popular studio player because he has a sort of "sixth sense"..
He seemed to know exactly what the producer wanted before the producer even told him. Great "instinct".. bob
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 4:13 am    

Al Perkins...Bob Carlucci... both play steel, guitar , sing...? Could it be the same person? Has anyone seen both in the same room at the same time?

Just wondering?

Russ
Webb Kline

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 4:22 am    

Olli, I agree with you about Al's work on Buddy Miller's stuff. Tasteful beyond words.

Al was the one who started it all for me on steel in the 70s. A man of impecable character I might add.
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 4:25 am    

I met Al backstage at the first SHF band tour. They opened for Three Dog Night! He was just the nicest person and a great musician. The thing that I really appreciated was that AL was a legitimate player on ANY instrument he played. It gave me confidence as a 19 year old to keep at the steel. He had a great ZB as well!

Oh… what was I doing backstage? Well, lets just say that I kind of made a wrong turn…that’s it! It was just a wrong turn!

Russ
Robert Cook

Collierville,TN
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2005 4:56 am    

I got to meet Al about three months ago at my church. He was very friendly and gave me the name of the guy who made his amp. It's a Risson amp and a fine piece of work by Mr. Bob Risson out in California. His steel work is still flawless and he's not lost a step since the days with the Burritos and Manassas.
Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2005 6:53 pm    

Al Perkins, Rusty Young and Dan Dugmore are the guys who taught me to love steel.

Rick
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2005 9:24 pm    

Ditto here. You will never meet a nicer gentleman than Al Perkins. Fellow ZB player. I was in a band at nineteen years old that opened for The Burrittos. Al blew my mind with his steel playing and thats when I decided that I would play steel some day. He has inspired many. I'm proud to call him a friend.

[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 16 June 2005 at 10:24 PM.]

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2005 6:44 am    

A bump for Al!^^^^^^^^^
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2005 9:05 pm    

I met Al Perkins when I was working out of Odessa, Tx in about 1954. Al and another kid named Bobby Tuttle were taking steel lessons from Al Petty. They were so far ahead of the other students that Al pulled them from the class and spent a lot of time teaching them together. Both of those "kids" are outstanding players today. Jody.
Alan Rudd

Ardmore, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2005 6:13 am    

Al lives in Leipers Fork, TN now. In fact, I saw him a couple of weeks ago. I have known him for about 8 years now and he is a super guy. I also have working closely with his son, Jesse Perkins, who is an incredible musician and a great guy as well. This kid plays a lot of sessions on the upright bass.
Mark Lind-Hanson

Menlo Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2005 1:14 pm    

I spent most of the other night listening to the first Manassas LP(before I even noticed this thread!)- really right on about that one tune "Jesus Gave Love Away For Free" - but also all the other stuff on that side of the album (Fallen Eagle, Colorado)just rips it up
-and how he fits in with all the hard rock stuff throughout. One of my favorite records ever & a shame that this band didn't do More in the few years they were around! I'd go out and hear them in a heartbeat, if they were...
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2005 1:33 pm    

It's good to know Al is still busy playing. I went to the site posted by Bob Eldridge to catch up.

Among other sessions, I see he played on newcomer Julie Roberts album recently.

It's great that Al appears to be open minded to any style of music and seems to know what to play to best complement the song as Olli suggests. No matter the style, he always seems to come up with ideas that fit perfectly on either/any instrument.

[Dang, another incomplete post! I meant to mention that I did play his Atrium as last Sunday's club meeting and although most of the folks said they'd never heard it before, they all liked his song....my delivery not withstanding.]

[This message was edited by Jerry Overstreet on 28 June 2005 at 02:42 PM.]

Kevin Bergdorf

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2005 4:40 am    

Have to get in on this one- love Manassas. Two albums was never enough...Have watched the dvd from Musikladen a couple dozen times. I think you can still get it from amazon, ebay for sure.

[This message was edited by Kevin Bergdorf on 29 June 2005 at 05:41 AM.]