| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My 5 favorite steel guitar albums & why
tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 9:33 pm    

Ok, I have been thinking of this for sometime now & want to hear other's choices. Here are my 5:
1) Buddy Emmons-"Steel guitar Jazz" I could pick 5 Buddy albums for this category alone & trying to pick one is almost impossible. This reissue CD is in my changer all the time.
2) "Suite Steel" (Various). Although this album is a close tossup with "Pacific Steel Company", I think this is the best compilation Steel guitar album ever made. It was my first Steel record.
3) "Sneaky Pete". His first album was one that I could play & play & not feel like it was corny. It still holds up, even with his singing.
4) "Beck at his Best". I recently got this tape & find I love Zane's tuning & the different way he approaches jazz & classic songs. No F#-G# unison licks here.
5) "Red Rhodes at Steel Guitar Convention". Ok, this isn't an official CD, but a compilation of 2 year's performances from tapes that I made. I love how he picked songs as old as he was & made them steel guitar classics.
Bubbling under the hot 100: "Murph",Doug Jernigan's Jazz CD's, Buddy Emmons & Lenny Beau, Buddy Emmons & Danny Gatton "Redneck Jazz Explosion", Bill Stafford's "Going Home", Jon Rauhouse's "Steel Guitar Airshow", "No Peddler's Allowed" by Tom Morrell & others, "Tom Cattin" by Tom Brumley.

[This message was edited by tom anderson on 27 May 2005 at 10:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by tom anderson on 27 May 2005 at 10:37 PM.]

[This message was edited by tom anderson on 28 May 2005 at 07:31 AM.]

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 May 2005 1:28 am    

(1) Lloyd Green > "Cool Steel Man", I think it was. RE: Album has some beautiful steel work. Just listen to way Lloyd plays "Big Girls Don't Cry","Halfway To Paradise". My favorite cut on this one is "Greenblue". (2) John Hughey > "On & Off Stage". RE: a steel players steel player. Favorite cut on this is "Hello Darlin". Great C6th work also. Learned "Deep Water" in C6th version off of this album. (3) Buddy Emmons > Black album. RE: Such songs on this one as "Danny Boy". Classic Emmons. (4) Julian Tharpe > "The Jet Age". Just when you thought you had it figured out which way he was going to come into or out of a verse. Bam! He's gone the other way and you have to stop the turntable and back up the song and listen to it again. (5) Jimmy Day > "All Those Years". Listen to the intro to "A House Is Not A Home". Beautiful. Plays on the album with such emotion until you can close your eyes while listening to it and feel the emotion. Great Day classics.
Cody Campbell

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 May 2005 12:25 pm    

I love this post. I've thought before about how I'd like to ask for everyone's top 5, but I'm often hesitant to start forum topics.
I don't really have a top 5 list. I don't own enough steel CDs, so if I made a list it might change each time I got a new disc.
If I did have a list, I know exactly what would be at the top, far far above whatever falls 2nd. "Four-wheel-drive"!!!! (not a real album, just a compilation of E's early singles with Dickens' band).
[Perlowin's firebird would probably be in the top 3 just for uniqueness, and definitely in the top 10 for its selection of great pieces].
Cody Campbell

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 May 2005 12:35 pm    

I didn't mean to submit that reply yet so I'll have to "double-post".
Billy, Great selection! I like your #1. (Don't you just love that fill he plays on "she still comes around" after the line "they do strange things to me"...Neh nyeh neh neh nyeh neh nyehhhh). Other great ones by LG are "Mr. Nashville Sound" and whatever the two albums are that comprise the recently released cd "the little darlin sounds of LG."
Anything by Mr. Hughey nears the top of my list as well. And I've only heard one record of Julian Tharpe but it's pretty good. It's with Vibraphonist Blondie Calderon (who is amazing) who I think played for Ray Price in the 70's.
Those are only a few of the many great steel albums. There are so many steelers I'm sure, out there that all of you know about that I haven't even heard before. Let me know about 'em.
-cody
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2005 6:46 pm    

1. Jerry Byrd "Steel Guitar Hawaiian Style"
  2. Buddy Emmons "Emmons Guitar Company"
  3. Lloyd Green "Revisited"

I can't think of two more that I'd put on that list.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 28 May 2005 7:02 pm    

1. Emmons Guitar Company - Buddy
2. Jazz by Jernigan - Doug
3. In the Heart of the Moment - BJ Cole
4. Wolf Tracks - Morrell
5. Still a Way Without Words - Randy Beavers

These five would keep me in a good mood for a long while...
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 29 May 2005 5:37 am    

1. Black Album
2. Paul's 'Just Pickin'
3. Lloyd's 'Mr. Nashville Sound'
4. Morrell's 'Pterodactyl Ptales'
5. Hughey's 'On and Off Stage'

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 29 May 2005 5:55 am    

1 More ways to play...Chalker
2 Jet Age...Tharpe
3 Zane Beck plays the ZB Student Model..Beck
4 Emmons live at the ISGC...Emmons
5 Flying Finger...Wally Murphy
and if i just had to list a straight E9th
steel record...it would have to be of course
Curly Chalker plays Gordon Lightfoot...
Hey that was not 6!

------------------

Whitney Single 12 8FL & 5 KN,keyless, dual changers Extended C6th, Webb Amp, Line6 PodXT, Goodrich Curly Chalker Volume Pedal, Match Bro, BJS Bar..I was keyless....when keyless wasn't cool....

[This message was edited by George Redmon on 29 May 2005 at 06:58 AM.]

Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 29 May 2005 7:20 am    

Hi
What an impossible thing try to pick only 5 out of my 2500 record steel collection!
I am listing 5 that I play quite often,but there are so many other good ones too.
Jerry Byrd-Hawaiian Beach Party-RCA
Lloyd Green-Mr.Nashville sound
Lloyd Green-Revisited
Tom Brumley-In time
Tommy White-By Request
But-again,this is not really fair,there are so many I could have listed,like Doug Jernigans latest"Speed Pickin`and shuffles",Paul Franklin,Buddy Emmons,Hughey,All of Lloyds albums,he is probably my number one influence too.All of these have exellent sound,and choice of songs,so for me being an E9 lover(mainly),these are all natural first choices.I could have listed lots of others as well,but this gives an idea of my taste.
Egil.
Cody Campbell

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 May 2005 9:58 am    

Sorry, now I'm Triple-posting.
But I just HAD to do it. This is SUCH a great topic. It's a perfect way for a non-steeler like me to get an idea about which steel albums I should buy. (from the very people who record and sell them!! ) I love it.
But the real reason i'm posting is because of what Egil just said. "my 2500 record steel collection." When I read that I thought "WHAT???!!!!!!" No way!! I Don't believe it! Egil, You must have meant to say 250, not 2500.
I wonder how many of those 2500 are instrumental steel records. To be called a 'steel guitar record' I think the album should be mostly instrumental, with no vocals (or maybe with vocals on just a few of the tunes).
I live in Kentucky, USA and many people here enjoy country music and prefer this music that includes steel over any other style. Despite this, steel records are still difficult to find and I can't get them unless I order them from here at the forum or from a club like the 'north tennesse steel guitar association'. Any other time I happen to find a steel record, it is by blind luck. I never find them in record bins (although I DID find "the tom campbell show live at maxwell's inn" at a flea market junk-sale the other day). I've found many fine L.P.s from antique shops and peddler's malls.
But I've aquired my best steel records from a 40-something-year-old bass-playing friend/bandmate. Any other steel albums I buy come straight from the source (the players) after a steel show or a bar gig.
Thanks a whole bunch to Tom for starting this and thanks to everyone else for listing their top 5 (or top 3, top 10, ect). I'll consider buying any title that gets listed by more than one member.