| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Am I doing it right with my volume pedal?
Terje Larson

Rinkeby, Spånga, Sweden
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 9:18 pm    

First of all, I'm not a steel guitar player, I play slide on an elelctric balalajka. But I'm trying to emulate the sounds I hear on steel guitar recordings so I think it's fair that I ask you guys.

I set the volume of my amp so that with the pedal wide open the volume would be way too loud for me. To get "just enough" I don't need to open the pedal very much at all. Am I doing it too extremely? I like to do swells, it's easier this way.

------------------
If you can't hear the others you're too loud, if you can't hear yourself you've gone deaf
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 28 May 2005 12:39 am    

Terje, it' s always right to play the way YOU like it, there is no rule. If you like to hear a guitarplayer that blows a lot of pedal-steelplayers away, listen to Steve Piticco from South Mountain. He has an amazing volume-pedal-technique, and uses up and downwards stringbending at the same time. No hipshot-stuff, normal tuning, and even get' s his sound while plugged in into my grandma' s stereo-set
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2005 8:45 am    

Terje, it sounds like you have it near the way many of us use it. If you look for other threads on volume pedal technique, you'll find mention of it as an expression pedal, which is how I think of it.
You leave room for much more "loudness" than you need on a full chord, say, and then there's room to grease it up a bit as your sustain falls off, or to bring up a note or chord after a very soft attack.

Those nuances are a vital part of the steel sound for many of us. Also the reason why we often want an amp with high headroom, for that clean volume boost.

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 28 May 2005 9:00 am    

Right, Terje, it is typical for steelers to attack their notes with the volume pedal less than half on. The rest is reserved for sustain on long notes. A slightly softened attack followed by a steady sustain is considered most tasteful. This requires a slight pumping action that is very difficult for beginners to master, but comes with time and practice. Exagerated pumping and swells are considered amateurish. Good volume pedal practice is to play slow ballads or hymns, striving for steady, organ-like sustain.
Terje Larson

Rinkeby, Spånga, Sweden
Post  Posted 28 May 2005 9:46 am    

Originally by David Doggett
"Good volume pedal practice is to play slow ballads or hymns, striving for steady, organ-like sustain."

I could have a lot of fun practicing that I suppose. Love to play ballads anyway.

Tried setting the amp a little lower today and it worked out much better actually. I didn't have to be so sensitive with the pedal all the time, didn't have to be careful not to be way too loud. Gave me more to work with.

Got some advice on this by Reece Anderson this morning actually. It's been said before but I'll sy it again: What a gentleman he is.

------------------
If you can't hear the others you're too loud, if you can't hear yourself you've gone deaf

[This message was edited by Terje Larson on 28 May 2005 at 11:42 AM.]

[This message was edited by Terje Larson on 28 May 2005 at 11:43 AM.]