| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Robert Randolph Again
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 7:52 am    

Well I finally got a chance to see RR on the local PBS channel last night (Austin City Limits),,,man what a show! Although I'm VERY partial to traditional "Ray Price" steel it was a very interesting and entertaining show. He had 3 other steel player (one PSG e9 Sho-Bud and two stand up lap steels). They all smoked to put it mildly!
Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 8:08 am    

I've caught Randolph on Austin City Limits a few times and have seen him on other shows. I've always wondered what is copedent was. If it was a standard copedent or his own concoction. Does he ever use his pedals? Could he kick off a real down home honky tonk version of "City Lights" or "The Other Woman" without all the distortion boxes and stuff? Can he play country steel? He really smokes at what he does though. He is probably selling the steel guitar idea to a lot of young folks who normally wouldn't have noticed it. Great idea.
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 8:11 am    

I'm pretty sure Robert can play country style steel, but chooses not too. I heard him on public radio, I believe it was, and the subject of country came up, and he played a few country style riffs that sounded pretty doggone good!

One thing about it, he can sure play country style much better than I can play his style!

It's not really my cup of tea, but you've sure gotta respect his ability!

Lem
Steve Geis

Fayetteville, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 8:17 am    

If I recall from Guitar Player magazine a few months ago, he plays an 11-string Carter. I think this is correct; can anyone confirm or advise? I concur that "it is not my style" but I will admire his style and technique, unorthodoxed as it is.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 8:27 am    

The RR axe pictured on the cover of Guitar Player is a 13 String Fessenden. He has had Carters as well, and they were 13 strings. He uses a "sacred steel" tuning that has been discussed on the Forum a few times.

[This message was edited by Bob Blair on 06 February 2005 at 08:27 AM.]

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 8:28 am    

Steve, last I knew, Robert was playing a Fessenden. May have switched to a Carter though.

Lem
Clint Queen

Prescott, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 8:38 am    

He uses one difference from the norm: he has installed two B strings, one above the other -- for faster riffs.
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 10:27 am    

I watched about 20 minutes of the Austin show last night which was all I could take of the screamiong style they were playing. Robert was playing a single neck Fessenden with pedals and one of the other steelers was playing a single neck 10 string non pedal with a Sho~Bud logo on the front of the neck. The other non pedla steeler played a 10 string unknown brand (looked like a single neck conversion from a mutiple neck stringmaster Fender. I could have played all the screaming steel I heard with a single neck 3 string steel with out pedals. As a matter of fact, one of the non pedal players moved his steel and exposed a top view momentarily and it looked as if it onoly 4 or 5 strings on it. All the players were using Stevens Bars (whick is a sin for pedal players..LOL). Any beginner could play what I heard without any lessons in about 2 hrs. I never heard a chord on the steels during my 20 minute exposure.

It is true That I dont care for the style that was played because in my opinion, there was no style excep turn you volume to max and see how many times you play a single note on the first string with an occaisional long screaming slide thrown in.

I expect to be flamed for this...so go ahead and start the flame throwers.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 10:40 am    

No matter how we feel about the style of RR's playing, we have to admit it will get a few more young players interested in Steel Guitar.That might be good.....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 11:07 am    

I hope that any new youth introduced to steel via Robert Randolph style/technique is made to understand just what is at work here: instinct for music that goes beyond that of many of us.

Whoever begins to see him as a musical role model is doomed, and this is not meant to evaluate. It's only that anyone who would emulate him without that instinct is in serious trouble.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 12:43 pm    

when i see a Robert Randolph thread here,
i inevitably recall Jimi singin'
" Move over Rover & let Robert take over !"
Robert is layin' new ground on that blue Fessy
(betcha Jerry's got another comin' up too)
Robert's school of Musik has been simmerin' in the kitchen fo'quite a while now
them Sacred Steel cats got their thang down !
Tradition is in no way gettin' harmed
ain't nothin' new,
just a other bag that's all
i learned all about 'em right here on the Fo'! Bro'
among the cowboys, truckers, preachers, gamblers, straitshooters, jivers & bedroom players
Sonny Treadway
the Campbells
Aubrey Ghent
Amazing Grace praise band
Calvin Cook
Dan Tyack
Willie Eason
the Lee boys

hey, Buzz Evans is pretty funky too huh ?

Robert, like the rest of 'em can only do the steel & us good even if some us here are too old to boogie
so why fret ?
let it slide Clyde
Robert's doin' jes fine

Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 1:05 pm    

For Kenny Dail: Have you ever been to New Orleans and heard an unexperienced trumpet player (etc) play "blues" like playing a Bb quarter note figure for 6 bars?(ie, the same note over-and-over) Yet the public is raving and clapping, and shouting: "aint he fantastic?" Oh well! ---j---
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 2:14 pm    

---> to Steel Players
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 3:55 pm    

Why in Steel PLAYERS ?

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com

Webb Kline

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 4:39 pm    

I have seen better performances by Randolph that the one on ACL last night. While it's a foreign style to me, it looked like he was having a ball. If someone out there can get me playing some of the better stuff he was doing last night, in 2 hours, I'm game to try and I got 26 years of steel and 45 years of piano under my belt.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 5:29 pm    

RR is hot no doubt,but I still say his Fessy sounds more like a heavily distorted tele with max treble and a NPS[notes per second] rating approaching critical mass..I would really like to hear him in a different context.. I'll bet a BUNCH of us naysayers[me included] would be MIGHTILY impressed... bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 07 February 2005 at 05:02 AM.]

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 7:39 pm    

To Dr. Hugh, no, I have never been to New Orleans but you can go any where in the USA and hear the one not "thing" you referred to on any instrument, wind brass or strings. The people, especially yougsters, get caught up in the excitement of the moment and this is not a good or bad thing. I have heard nothing yet from RR to qualify him as a steel player, pedal or non pedal. I did see him play (or holding) a red body Gibson ES35
or a similar make by another manufactorer so perhaps he does have some knowledge of music. He is most definately over equipped so far as the instrument is concerned. Based on what I heard last night.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 8:05 pm    

After hearing last night's performance, I believe the RR experience has run it's course and seems to have little more to say than a rather primitive example of playing slide on a steel guitar while fronting a pretty good band and generating a party atmosphere. Not a bad thing... but an old Bakelite tuned to E and a maybe bit of distoro would fry RRs tone to the bone, and in the hands of a talented bluesman, well, shows over folks.

The first # was OK and the rest of the program held up because of the guests. However, I can't help but think of all the bottle neck player's I've heard that had way better tone/tech/style/feel/soul and could easily blow RR away any day that don't get RR's kudos because he's doing it in a different/interesting medium and has showmanship. Good for him, but I think it's going to be a limited road (in the long run) for him unless he greatly expands his product, which he may well do.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 8:51 pm    

I have two of Randolph's cross over cd's and his stuff on the sacred steel cds. I thought they were fantastic. I just watched his performance on the Sacred Steel DVD and it is pretty amazing to watch. Just him taking a solo: If end up as "limited" as him, I'll die a happy man.

It is his and the Campbell Brothers music that excites me the most right now and thing that has gottem me interested in the pedal steel.
Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 8:52 pm    

Some people are naturally ignorant, while others actually "work" at it. Like it or not, ain't nobody on this forum can duplicate what Robert is doing in 2 or 200 hours. You go, Robert!!! Lonnie
John Rickard

Phoenix (It's A Dry Heave) AZ
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 9:22 pm    

I think we should all play the same way with the same tone. You know, learn from the same guy, think the same way. Play the same 15 songs. Wouldn't that be great?!?!?! The Adolf method.
JR

P.S. You kids get off my lawn!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 11:03 pm    

The main gripe that steel players have is that the public doesn't notice them and they are the first ones to be dropped from the band when it's time to downsize. Right? Right!

Well whether you dig RR's style of music or you think he has good chops or not - he has shown you the solution to the problem:

Be the leader, front the band, sing, and be animated! Then you won't get dropped, and people will notice you, and notice the steel guitar. And hot chicks will desire you . .

It doesn't matter what type of music you play or what your skill level is - you can learn this from RR!

Even if you hate his music and think he sucks - you can learn this from RR!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2005 12:57 am    

I finally got to see the show last night as well and am glad I did. I really enjoyed the whole show. Although I never got a good look at his feet to see if he used pedals, I saw several instances where he used his knee levers. I would definately go see him live. Of course I do like other types of music other than country (in fact country isn't my favorite).

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k, NV400
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2005 1:09 am    

There is a cut on RR's Wetlands CD that is much more country, it's just not his normal bag.

He can do nothing but good for the steel guitar,
so why gripe if he doesn't play your style.
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2005 2:20 am    

Quote:
And hot chicks will desire you . .
By the way, that wasn't Robert's steel screaming - it was ME on the front row!! I LOVE sacred steel, what they do for their churches, what they do for their youth - and that they're giving us a glimse of it!!!
Grandma

[This message was edited by Donna Dodd on 07 February 2005 at 02:24 AM.]