| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SURPRISE for all steel pickers
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 11:06 am    

Since Jerry Byrd will be celebrating his 85th birthday on March 9th, I wanted to do something special for everyone. Thanks to "Scotty"....I'm able to share with each of you, a very special time in the life of Jerry Byrd and hopefully you'll all find as much joy in hearing it, perhaps for the first time, as I do each and every time I hear it.
This tune was aired on February 2, 1939, at the Renfro Valley Barn Dance, just one month before Jerry Byrd was to celebrate his 19th birthday. Give it a listen and let us know your impression of the earliest days of
Jerry Byrd's professional musical career; The Master of Touch & Tone.
You can hear it at: jerrybyrdfanclub.com
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERRY BYRD!
Hope each of you has taken the time to send along a birthday greeting to this wonderful man, fabulous musician and life-long friend to many of us.
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 12:34 pm    

I went to: jerrybyrdfanclub.com, but the player didn't work.???

Roger
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 5:16 pm    

For those who might have trouble connecting otherwise, here's the link: http://www.jerrybyrdfanclub.com/Music/Beach%20at%20Waikiki.mp3

Thanks for the surprise, Ray!
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 5:23 pm    

Thanks Ray.
What a touch and sound for that young age.
You can tell he was marked for greatness.
I did not mind the scratches on that record one bit.

Roy
B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 7:40 pm    

Ray, that broadcast was probably out of the WLS studios before John Lair got the "Old Barn" completed. The 1st show from the "Old Barn" in Renfro Valley was broadcast live on Nov. 4th 1939. I have a tape around here somewhere of that broadcast and Jerry's playing is wonderful. We are now in our 66th show season, actually started up again tonite. I have been the staff steeler there now for 8 years, even get to play a couple of my old Rickenbacher guitars once in awhile. Last year, Jerry sent us his scrapbook with newspaper clippings, photos and pay stubs from his years at Renfro Valley. It is an honor for me to be playing on the same stage, with the same wood in the floor and wagon wheels on the walls, that Jerry Byrd graced years ago. Ray, you and I need to get together some time over a pot of coffee and share stories.

Greg
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 8:33 am    

Hey Roger, so sorry you had difficulty in hearing the Jerry Byrd tunes. Thanks too, to Brad for his helpful suggestion; hopefully that helped you get to the music, Roger? Roy, right-on! Greg, so nice of you to write-in and share with us. I too, would be mighty proud of the work you're doing and especially, in the surroundings that you're able to enjoy there. Would enjoy the opportunity to sit around and chat with you about the days of olde. Thanks for the invite. Maybe we could do a video exchange as tho' we're sitting there together?
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 8:49 am    

There he's playing in C#minor tuning. No doubt he was a fan of Sol Hoopii and Dick McIntire. Thanks for the clip, Ray.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 10:32 am    

It's amazing how you can hear his future sound. It's like his artistic vision for the next two decades was already fully formed in his mind.
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 12:24 pm    

Sounds like Mr Byrd's life and style was set at a very young age. Greg did you ever work with a female singer named Bonnie Waterman? I did a year at Lee Mace's Ozark Opry with her. Thanks for the clip of a legacy.

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com