| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe Seymour, customer's man!
Skip Cons - II

Lago Vista Texas
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 6:05 am    

I had an occasion to order a couple of Bobbe’s instructional videotapes off the website.
Tapes came and I watched – On one of the tapes, a couple of sync glitches popped up where the video lost sync for a second. I don’t know what happened, Could have been from an invasive package scanner or something in shipment.
I told Bobbe via email and lo and behold, almost in return FedEx, came a replacement.
Not only a REPLACEMENT for the glitched tape, but the whole SET!
Plus another tape and a CD!!
Tell me this man is not customer oriented, a professional, and a business genius!

As well, I am thoroughly impressed with his mastery of the Steel guitar.
He looks and plays like he’s at equal comfort in both E9th and C6th.
He adds style and very subtle interpretation on the strings and pedals. One can tell he’s intimately familiar with the instrument and has been playing a long time – total professional.

I don’t know about any of the rest the players on the forum, however, should you have an occasion to need or want something associated with the Steel Guitar, Bobbe is THE man I Would go to first.

Thanks Bobbe
Skip Cons

------------------
Skip Cons
Carter D-10: 10 + 5
"Would I rather be sailin'?"

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 7:19 am    

I totally agree!

I called Bobbe one day and inquired if he had any U-12s that he could let go very cheap...as I was in a tight financial position...(don't ask). Well, he said he didn't, but to watch his website and if I saw anything to call him right away. The following day I got an E-mail from him saying he'd be on the lookout, but that he had this Fessenden U-12 that he thought fit my needs and quoted me an unbelievable price. Well, it took about 3 days to do some fast legwork, but I came up with the dough. That weekend I drove to his store.

I bought that new beautiful red Fessenden U-12 from Bobbe. Aside from lots of laughs and friendly conversation, Bobbe, at my request, demoed the guitar for me (I had been away from playing for 12 years...again, don't ask). WOW!!! It sounded fantastic (that thumb style just kills me!!!....I play Chet style on guitar). Then I noodled around on it for a while myself and tried to avoid sounding like an idiot. Bobbe was the consumate gentleman and complimented me on having a good touch and playing in tune. ha, ha! Had him fooled!?!?!?!? lol

Well, when it finally came time to pay the piper....I mean Bobbe... he gave me and my fiance a couple CDs, a leg bag, a couple videos and a set of strings and some picks. For the price he sold me that Fessy for he must have been trying to put himself out of business, plus giving me all that stuff. The man's a saint, and one hell of a good friend to all us steelers.

In my opinion, he should be our first choice for steels and accessories. YES, he puts his customers/friends first!! Isn't that what a smart businessman should do anyway?

Well, if you'll pardon me, I must go meditate at my Bobbe Seymour shrine.......I mean play my Fessy guitar. lol
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 11:26 am    

Skip,
I see you have found out what many of us already know...Bobbe Seymour is one heck of a great guy! He gives so much stuff away I cant figure out how he makes any money at all! I bought a ProIII Custom from him a few months back.I got a GREAT deal,and so much free stuff, I could not believe it.
A couple of days later when I decided I just HAD to have a Hilton pedal, there was no question where I was gonna go. And lo and
behold...another great deal! So....when Xmas time came around and I thought I would get myself a Fender Steelking,Who do you think I called? Bobbe got me one in record time while everyone else was on a waiting list at other places! Bobbe is "THE MAN"!!
....Bobbe Seymour for president!

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII, Pro III custom,
Fender Steelking,Hilton pedal,Tut Taylor "Virginian"

[This message was edited by Larry Robbins on 05 March 2005 at 11:27 AM.]

[This message was edited by Larry Robbins on 05 March 2005 at 11:28 AM.]

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 1:05 pm    

I'm still reeling from my trip there.

I first met Bobbe in the flesh on Valentine's day. No aspersions intended.

To begin with, I was looking around Nashville for a place to plug in my new guitar, and try it out, driving around in a soon to be destroyed rental car lost as any yankee could be in this town we occupied so thoughtlessly all those years ago...

He basically closed down his business, called in everybody he could think of to try it out, from Bobby Knight, Lynn Owsley, Russ Hicks, Tommy White,and Mike Sweeney, and sent me back to my motel with an amp, a volume pedal, and I'm glad that I didn't ask for everything that was on my mind!

I wondered why my Flight Case weighed a hundred pounds at the sky cap stand. Turns out it had videos, CDs, Tshirts, and original Sho~Bud hand polished bar in it.

I keep asking my Bank why this stuff totals up to about 50% of what I figure it out to be on my Visa Bill.

They say they'll get back to me on it.

A trip like that?

"Priceless" as they say.

That's the word I come up with for Bobbe without fail.

If Anybody gets treated better than I did while visiting there, they might want to check their shoulders for wings..

"Thanks a Lot".

Bless his Heart, as they say down there.

As for the rumors about Bobbe and Ricky Scaggs hanging around Lower Broadway after hours in drag, I guess you'd have to ask him. I think Bobbe's got better taste, myself..

I was able to get prices that were lower than anywhere else BEFORE I met and became good friends with him. Now, I worry about my self esteem, and have to pay him with anonymous cashier's checks, or he won't take the money.

The only way I got to pay for lunch was to race him to the cashier, and speak spanish to the poor little gal at the register.

SGHOF?

Anybody needs a supreme court style brief for his induction, just send me a rough draft. I shouldn't have to "buff it up" much at all..

EJL

[This message was edited by Eric West on 05 March 2005 at 01:43 PM.]

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 2:08 pm    

Great story Eric...and so typical of Bobbe. I used to deal occassionaly with Bobbe back in the 80s and he was a gentle, kind soul back then, and .......well.......he's...well.....now he's....I mean.....his sense of humor.....well has aged?!?!?! lol just kidin', Bobbe. (well there goes my free Emmons D-12!!)

Stay well, my friend.

[This message was edited by Mike Wheeler on 05 March 2005 at 02:09 PM.]

Jake L

Grapevine, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 9:25 pm    

I too have a story about Bobbe. Not only does he help his customers, but he also helps people he doesn't even know...
About the time I was looking for my first publishing deal, I was the manager of a prominant vintage guitar store in Texas. The owner of the store knew Bobbe, and set me up with a meeting with him at his studio during my next trip to Nashville. He listened to my demo, (which featured alot of Steve Palousek magic), and picked up the phone. 30 minutes later, I was sitting down with Sony. I wasn't offered a deal at that time, but it sure is nice to know that there are still people willing to give the little guys a helping hand.
Thanks,
Jake Lowe
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 7:35 am    

Bobbie Is One Of The Great's We Have Been Friends For Years If You Need Any Thing For Steel Or Just Music Thats Where To Go. SONNY.

------------------
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 11:18 am    

Eric,

Your new old "Bud" is beautiful! More picks, please. Is that a white pickup?

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Fessy D-10 8/8, Magnatone S-8, N400's, BOSS RV-3

Mike Richardson

Rutledge, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 11:35 am    

I have purchased two guitars from Bobbe as well as sold and traded two others with him and he is a wonderful person to deal with,except he has trouble making change.
I bought a Sho-Bud from Bobbe in 2001,my first steel, and paid him cash,I guess seeing that much money messed up his brain, and it took forever for him to figure out the change.We all had a big laugh.
I also traded that Sho-Bud in on an Emmons and he gave me exactally what I paid him for it in trade.
I am proude to call Bobbe my friend and to sit and listen to some of his stories is worth the trip to Nashville alone.Bobbe Seymour...SGHOF

Mike Richardson
Emmons D-10 Lagrande ll
Emmons Sd-10 Lagrande ll

[This message was edited by Mike Richardson on 06 March 2005 at 11:37 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mike Richardson on 06 March 2005 at 11:39 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mike Richardson on 06 March 2005 at 11:41 AM.]

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 3:35 pm    

Drew, my good friend, indeed only the top plates are white, and the nice thick paterial that Jerry Wallace makes his SB replacements out of.

Another thing you might notice is the different magnet heights. I've always had trouble with the thinner wound strings signal strength.

I had them graduated to the highest point under the smallest wound strings.

They work GREAT!.

I'm still holding up a final guitar/trip report due to a completion of the fretboard finishes. I had a glitch in clear coating the 5 6 and 7 on the E9th. I could live with it, but it's gotta be as perfect as the rest of the guitar. I changed the silk screened ones for a set of 3Ds that I'm used to on my PIII, and that are more mathematically perfect than the older Sho~Bud templates. I've clear coated over plasticote white and embedded multicolored mica chips. I got a little over on some of the frets and will repair it as I have time this week.

Anyhow, they're JWs, with white top plates. Wound to 16k.

EJL