| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for Dan Dugmore... JT sessions?
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2005 2:04 pm    

Dear Dan,

I've enjoyed your playing on a few records of course, I really like your work on that recent Mindy Smith album, so understated, perfect. I am a bit embarrassed to admit I'd never listened to James Taylor's 1977 album "JT" all the way through really, but I happened to put my girlfriend's vinyl copy on today, and was greeted on the second song by your BEAUTIFUL playing. So amazing. Man, you look like you were about 20 on that session. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling us a bit about that session, i.e. how you got the call to do that album, what it was like to play with people like JT, Leland Sklar, Sanborn and the others, what kind of gear you used (an Emmons and old Fender maybe?)

Anyway, just wanted to say I really like your work, hope to see you play live sometime. I also would like to remind everybody that we've all been sold a bill of goods with the whole digital recording thing, tape and vinyl still smoke even the best digi stuff. "JT" is a perfect example of how killer tape sounds, like the acoustic guitars, steel and vocals are in the room with you, instead of that flat digital sound...

Thanks for reading my post.

Gerald
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2005 2:24 pm    

Please forgive me for the redirection, Gerald, but have you had the pleasure of hearing John Prine's "In Spite of Ourselves"? Dan does the preponderance of the steel playing (bonus tracks by BE and Al Perkins) and it is just so nicely played. Just so musical.
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2005 2:31 pm    

Dear Jon,

No man, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation. I found a Super Twin, by the way, pretty incredible sounding amp, you'll have to check it out sometime! So lightweight too!!
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2005 2:39 pm    

Yep--I saw your post about the amp. I said "yes!! Then I said "let me write Gerald and offer to carry it for him". Then I had dinner. Then I went to bed. Then I forgot about my kind offer.
The Prine record---it's a series of duets with guest women, covering some classic country hits. Prine is real cool but he's not much of a harmony sideman. Yet in spite of himself (joke) it's a real feel good CD and again, Dan is just a go-to player when you need to refresh your ears for pure and tasteful.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2005 3:41 pm    

Dan is not only as delight as a player, but as a person, too. I spent a few days with him in the studio in December, and the vibe and energy he brings to a session are awesome, not to mention his fine playing (he played steel, acoustic and electric guitars, dobro and lap steel on this date ).

I don't think he frequents the forum, but I'll drop him and email and let him know this is up...
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2005 4:09 pm    

Also, if you haven't, you simply must hear Dan on Steve Forbert's latest recording "Just Like There's Nothin' To It", esp. the first cut "What It Is Is A Dream", the 2nd song "Wild as the Wind"...

Quite sublime

------------------
I always knew that there was something out there that I needed to get to.
And it wasn't where I was at that particular moment."

-Bob Dylan

[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 05 February 2005 at 04:17 PM.]

Buddy Blackmon

Athens, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2005 11:23 pm    

I had the pleasure of having Dan play on many of my song sessions when I was in Tunetown. He is a fun guy to have around and always brings a great attitude to a recording project. And then there is his unique style of playing.....tasty, tasty and tasty!!
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 10:41 am    

Thanks for the hint of Dan on Forbert's new album. The song Wild as the Wind is about Rick Danko. I had a benefit show with Forbert back in the spring of 2001, and he played that song. He introduced it saying that it was Christmas Eve and he was driving in the snow to Bethlehem....PA, and saw a sign at a small joint where Danko was playing that night.

Steve Forbert is a big fan of Steel Guitar having it on many of his albums, he also was knowledgeable about most of the players. He has had Bucky Baxter, Weldon Myrick,Larry Campbell, now Dugmore. In the early days, Harvey Shapiro who did some great stuff on his first few albums.

One great album to get is 'Young Guitar Days' which has lots of steel and is leftovers from his first four albums. And I wouldn't call any of the song leftovers either. Craig
Buddy Blackmon

Athens, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2005 4:20 pm    

Gerald, I can tell you that Dan told me that he had been playing with Lee and Waddy (I think) since high school. As a matter of fact, Dan has a funny story about how they needed a bass player for their band to play the prom, so they heard about Leland and got him. But, the school principal made Lee stand behind the stage curtain and play because he look to hippy-ish. LOL! Funny stuff!!

Danny had been playing with those talented guys since day one and that is how he got the studio call.

I hope Danny reads this forum and will chime in soon. TOP!!