| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ? Outdoor Steel Show w/snow& 15 degrees???
Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 8:32 am    

Watching TV and all the hype about the Football games in Pa today, Makes me wonder how many STEEL fans would watch or participate in a Show under the conditions these Ball games are played. For one thing the Bar would probably freeze to the strings. Maybe I am old and cranky, but this to me is rediculous. Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 8:40 am    

Ed, I have played outdoors when I got so cold I couldn't stop shaking. This can bring on the leg cramps also. All that shaking produced a stange vibrato that I don't care to try and reproduce on purpose.
I suggest the use of thermal underwear for anyone who plans to play under these conditions. I might also suggest professional help from a psychiatrist.....JD
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 11:41 am    

How in blazes would one go about keeping a steel guitar in tune under those conditions?

Mind you, with 50,000 fans shivering their butts off , I doubt if they would notice anyone being a few octives off no matter what was being played.

------------------
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 12:45 pm    

I played a gig outdoors this new year's eve when it was four above zero.It was a guitar gig standing on a ice,and snow,I couldn't feel my fingers after four songs.I don't think that playing my steel guitar would have been possible.
Jimmie Misenheimer

Bloomington, Indiana - U. S. A.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 3:12 pm    

I played an outdoor festival once some years ago, and it was "spitting" snow. It only took one of those and I got my cure of that! Jimmie
Sidney Ralph Penton

Moberly, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 5:47 am    

well i hate the cold weather! i am not going to go watch any kind of ball game or nothing when it is cold and snowing i don't care if its king kong i an't watching! forget about playing a psg under those conditions or any insturment as far as that goes. and i would say anyone who does must really need the money badly. well moving on to warmer things.

------------------
zum SD10 peavy vegas 400 peavy session 400
if its not a zum steel it isn't real

Jaim Zuber

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 10:27 am    

I did a gig on 6 string in 5 degrees F.

I left the guitar in it's case overnight in my trunk to slowly acclimate to the new temperature. Once it was cold, the tuning held up pretty well. The only thing that really caused problems is having your fingers directly contact freezing cold metal (unavoidable with the guitar).

With the steel you might be able to wear a glove on the bar hand, or keep the bar at room temperature (stick it in your pocket to warm it up when you're not playing). You might be able stick the finger picks through a glove (and warm them up when not playing). Palm blocking is probably fine with leather gloves.

I'd say it's do-able, but I don't think I'll be the one to try it out. Maybe with someone elses steel (our bass player had to take his axe to the shop for a setup after the show).

Here's some pics of one cold jazz/funk group... http://tinyurl.com/3r7jt
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 11:06 am    

Just a couple of weeks back some friends and I did the music for a local Cowboy church. 3 six string acoustic guitars and one fiddle. We set our stuff up in the barn at 7:30 am on Sunday morning. Church started at 8 and we all had to keep on tuning up for that 30 minutes. When we started playing it was 31 degrees in that barn and even at that temp my fingers were cold and very slow. I can't imagine trying to tune up a steel for that kind of gig.

Rick