| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bigsby
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 9:47 am    

I saw a triple Bigsby with one pedal that pushed up on the 2nd and 3rd strings from the keyhead end.

Were all pedal Bigsby guitars built this way in the beginning of pedals; or could this be an after delivery add-on?

Rick

[This message was edited by Rick Collins on 11 November 2004 at 09:48 AM.]

[This message was edited by Rick Collins on 11 November 2004 at 03:43 PM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 9:54 am    

Hi Rick, I don't think so, but I am not sure .
I do know that Alvino Rey had a couple of pedals working off the right end on his Gibson Console Grande D9 in 1939. I saw it in person.....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 10:55 am    

Only the first ones including Bud Isaacs's guitar pulled from the keyhead end. Later he made them "pull or release" from the pickup end.
As a mater of fact, some guitars did both plus he had a method of twisting/rocking the tuning keys on some guitars to raise and lower the strings. Billy Braddy's/Jr. Browns was one.

bobbe
Walter Haynes

Bullard.Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 1:45 pm    

I made one pedal for my Bigsby triple neck in the 50's and used it on many recordings, it was a killer to tune. I bored a hole in the keyhead area and raised 2 strings with the pedal. I used it on Jimmy Dickens record We Could, the record producer laughed at my close hanger for a pedal rod!!!!
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 2:23 pm    

Yes Walter, I heard you play that setup many times, as a matter of fact, 30 years later, I bought that Bigsby from you. You made a dream come true for me.
You are a heck of a guy!

bobbe
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 3:14 pm    

Bobbe,
I had a Gibson Console Grande, with the pushup through the keyhead,used a pencil sharpener inards on the bottom, with a screendoor turnbuckle rod to tune it with. It was the one with 7 strings on top,8 on bottom,don't know what year it was, but I owened it in mid 50s.

Bill
Perry Hansen

Bismarck, N.D.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 5:10 pm    

Walter. I did the same thing with my Fender 4 neck Stringmaster. People always ask what the door hinges were for on the end of the hangers.
Greg Sullivan

Poughqaug New York
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 6:19 pm    

Jody Carver's long lost Bigsby since located recently had the tuning key swivel from the tuning head on three strings in order to lower and raise the 3 string changes.

I know who this man is who owns Jody's guitar and has since become a legal issue which I beleive Jody was asked to pay the present owner $10.000.00 in order to get his guitar back. The present owner claims he was not aware that this Bigsby was in fact borrowed by a friend of Jody's and Jody
never received a penny for it.

Imagine someone who dont play steel guitar asking the original owner to pay $10.000.00 for a guitar special made for Jody with his name on the apron front?.

You can do a search for this story,its interesting. I beleive the present owner was not aware of the circumstances so in all fairness ,it legally belongs to the present owner. Jody asked to see it for old times sake and was refused.

What a World.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 7:37 pm    

Gregg;
You're referring to this guitar, of course! click here If I had the cash right now, I'd buy it and give it back to Jody! That's how much I think of Jody Carver and the whole family, even though I've never met any of them yet. “Big John”

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
(2)-Fender ’49–’50 T–8 Customs
Fender ’65 Reissue Twin-Reverb Custom™ 15”
click hereclick hereclick hereclick here
Greg Sullivan

Poughqaug New York
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 8:05 pm    

Hi Big John
Yes thats the guitar. Jody always speaks highly of you.He thinks the world of you.

If you hear from him,ask him to write me. I wont be able to e mail anymore after Saturday. Thanks John.

My Best to you

Greg

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 10:05 pm    

Speedy had the first pedal Bigsby and it used keyhead changers. And in fact they were rod-operated, instead of the later cable pulling system!! I don't know if the other early ones used rods or if Speedy's was the only one. PA used keyhead changers through out the years if a custom tuning so required. For instance, I have a -63 model, possibly the last one built and it has one keyhead changer raising the mid neck fourth string. The same string is lowered with a pedal.
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 10:32 pm    

How 'bout we all send a few $$ to raise the money and get this guitar back where it belongs?

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 7:26 am    

This sounds wonderful......if someone will check out and make sure that indeed, the present 'owner' is willing to sell it for a set price, and someone will be willing to be the focal point for the fund raising, my $100 will be on the way.

Ben Rubright
Port Charlotte, FL
Greg Sullivan

Poughqaug New York
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 1:42 pm    

I am the only person besides Jody and another member of this forum who knows who this person is.

He dont play a lick but he collects things of value. I belive this person paid app $2,800.00 for Jodys Bigsby and asked Jody for $10.000.00..Jody told me he asked this person if he would come to Jodys house so that Jody could just see his Bigsby one more time. This story is in the history files of this forum..I'll look for it.

If this person was sympathetic and cared he could have made Jody a better offer. But this person called his attorney and threatened to sue Jody for what was posted on this subject.

I think a member by the name Warner or something can get that info for you.
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 7:10 am    

Do you think that he would really sell it if we could raise the amount?
If some of us are willing to donate $10 to $25 it shouldn't be a problem.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

Greg Sullivan

Poughqaug New York
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 8:13 am    

Marco
In regard to your question,as to whether or not the present owner would agree to the ridiculous amount of money he asked for as you must also consider that according to a Forum member who saw this guitar a year or so ago claimed it was not as clean as it was.

Take into consideration that this guitar changed hands back in 1961 and at that time was brand new.

The person who has this guitar is NOT a Forum member but often lurks to see what is for sale.

I doubt that knowing Jody as well as I do would give this person the satisfaction of making that absurd offer and have his mouth water for the amount he asked for.

Jody hs an overbundance of pride and regardless would not give in to a price unless he (Jody) could check the guitar out.

The gesture you made is very generous and it shows the kind of person you are.

Regardless of the outcome,it will always be Jody's guitar as his name is inlaid on the apron of the guitar and when this man is offered whatever will try to capitolize on the fact that Jody Carver owned this guitar with hope that in itself would bring more money knowing all to well that Jody is now a member of the Hall Of Fame.

The man who owns this guitar will carry that burden as long as he lives. In all reality that guitar will always be Jody's.

Jody at this moment is faced with a family crisis as his wife is in her final days.

I'll check around and see what I come up with.

This message is for the present owner of Jody's Bigsby......Sir I know who you are and where you are, have a heart and search your soul and make Jody happy to at least see his guitar once again. Thats all he is asking for. I'm certain Jody asks no more from you except some consideration. I can assure you on Jody's behalf that your identity will be kept not be known to anyone but Jody Carver. Please consider if you will to have Jody see his Long Lost Bigsby. Jody is 75 years young as I ask you to please consider the circumstances.

Thank you Marco. I will mention this to Jody when his family crisis is over.

Best to you

Greg Sullivan
edited for spelling

[This message was edited by Greg Sullivan on 13 November 2004 at 08:23 AM.]

Ben Jack

Fayettevillle, Ar. * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2004 11:37 am    

I have Bob White's original Bigsby and it has some repaired holes under the strings at the keyhead where Bob said it originally had some pushrods that would raise a couple of strings, at some point Bob took it back to Bigsby and had the current system installed and more pedals added and the holes repaired by Paul. This Bigsby is the only one I know of that the necks and keyheads are all sawed out of one piece of maple, NICE GUITAR!!! I also have my original Bigsby that I bought new in 1951.

Ben Jack
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2004 12:52 pm    

Ben, I got mine in 1956. How long did you have to wait before delivery to you? I waited most nearly three years.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2004 6:40 pm    

When I inquired about a D–8 Bigsby PSG in the early to mid ’50's, I think Paul informed me of a (2)-yr. waiting-period! At the time, I considered that a Lifetime! Now, (2)-yrs. is like (2)-days!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
(2)-Fender ’49–’50 T–8 Customs
Fender ’65 Reissue Twin-Reverb Custom™ 15”
click hereclick hereclick hereclick here
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2004 10:38 pm    

Ben, Joaquin's triple neck also had wood necks and keyheads, as did Bud Isaacs' and Ray Miers'and Lee Knight's guitars. The t10 Tom Morrell played for years also has wood necks and keyheads.
John, two years might have been a long time, but Eddie Gabbard, who's guitar I have, waited his for four years!! He ordered it in -58/59 and got it in January -63!
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2004 1:25 pm    

That guitar sounds exactly like a triple neck I owned in 1960. It looked "Bigsby" all over, had Bigsby pickups and two rods pushing up on the 2nd and 3rd strings on the key end of the front neck.
It had the name "DALAN" or DALEN ??? on the front. I was told that it was built by Don Davis and Hank Garland.
Does anyone have more info on that guitar?