| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keeping it simple......for the public's benefit
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2004 7:31 pm    

With newer students or players in a wide variety of different ways, attempting to re-write the history of the steel guitar by attempting to describe it, it's long established functions, and its various developments and optional accessories by using entirely new and often times conflicting or confusing "personalized, home-made" descriptions, I'd like to submit for the communitys' consideration that we all return to the beginning of time and call this fabulous and pleasureable sounding instrument exactly what it has been known to be for decades; THAT IS: a "STEEL GUITAR"

The original wooden bodied, round holed, flat top box with raised nut, started out as the Hawaiian steel guitar. With the passing of time and following the develop of electrified musical instruments, it next became the electric Hawaiian steel guitar.

These were logical developments of the original, basic instrument and each gave an accurate description of what the steel guitar was.

One of the first electrified steel guitars was the "fry pan?" named that because of its general appearance, I'd have to imagine. Still, it was a reasonable name and has continued to be known as such (without confusion) to this day.

More recently however, with the influx of newer, enthusiastic students, various other names have been "created" within the dark recesses of these fertile minds, and some of these are responsible for contributing much toward the total confusion of our non-musically educated audiences. These are the same folks that often called it a Banjer, keyboard, synthesizer, steel string guitar, Zither, or whatever.

Lap steel was fairly descriptive but this was soon upgraded to laptop, slide g'tar, etc.

This model of steel guitar was soon expanded to a double neck (or triple neck or quad neck) which soon became known as a "table top steel"; console steel; and a host of other inaccurate and misleading names.

With the advent of pedals, it became the pedal steel guitar, which in reality was simply a steel guitar with pedals added to it.

WHY don't we agree as a musical community, to simply go back to the basic original designator, the "Hawaiian Steel Guitar" or "Steel Guitar"? It was the original instrument. All modifications or upgrades were made to this basic, original instrument and not the other way around.

When choosing to describe YOUR OWN rig, most likely one of the many different pedal steels of the day, refer to it as "a STEEL Guitar" w/pedals; or, "STEEL GUITAR-P".

This continuous changing of the identity of this historic, beautifully sounding instrument, only confuses the public even more than they have been for the last 25-30 years.

In automobiles, aviation, and a host of other types of equipment, the original is blessed to hold onto that original title and as modifications or upgrades are made to the original form, it is so identified by the simple addition of an A, or B, or C or whatever. T-model Ford; Model A Ford; Boeing 747-100, 747-400, etc.

Let's get together and act in unison to get our favorite instrument the accurate designation it so richly deserves. Let's keep our public "informed" by doing our part, individually to minimize any confustion and let's play music that best reflects this instruments unique capabilities and beautiful sounds.

[This message was edited by Ray Montee on 27 October 2004 at 08:35 PM.]

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2004 8:03 pm    

Quote:
WHY don't we agree as a musical community, to simply go back to the basic original designator, the "Hawaiian Steel Guitar" or "Steel Guitar"?

At the risk of being facetious, I'll offer that it's probably because for the last half century they have had pedals...

I'll call it a Hawaiian Steel Guitar for the next hundred gigs and see what happens.

Just to do my part..

EJL

[This message was edited by Eric West on 27 October 2004 at 09:04 PM.]

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2004 9:28 pm    

When someone ask what instrument I play.I reply.Pedal Steel Guitar.Cause that's what it is.Just makes sense to me....bb
Bill Hamner

Hueytown,AL USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 2:25 am    

B.B.,Do you suppose those folks relate to the volume pedal or those little thingies with the rod attached which go up under the contraption.

Bill
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 6:55 am    

"Double Neck Ten String Pedal Steel Guitar with 10 & 6".

(Don't have mine yet but someday...")

My mom always said "Eschew Obfuscation"

My vote is for "pedal steel guitar" if that's what I'm playing.

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 29 October 2004 at 07:24 AM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 7:59 am    

Let me get this straight
Are you advocating referring to a pedal steel guitar as a "Hawaiian Steel Guitar" to REDUCE CONFUSION? I see them as two different instruments and calling them the same thing would only ADD CONFUSION.

I must admit that whan people ask me what I play I usually say 'steel guitar', but when asked what the pedals do (ALWAYS the next question), I am careful to point out that some steel guitars have pedals and knee levers and some (like the Hawaiian Steel Guitar) do not. When talking to musicians, I usually just refer to it as 'my guitar' and most understand exactly what I'm talking about.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 9:01 am    

Steel Guitar is absolute and all inclusive of any extention of the name of the instrument.

One cannot go wrong by calling the instrument a "steel guitar".

I have never liked the name "pedal steel guitar". Some harps have pedals which sharp and flat the strings like the steel.

Can you possibly imagine the leader of any orchestra who is about to announce a soloist on the harp?

"...and now, Mary Doe on pedal harp."

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 9:01 am    

Or we could call it a dobro (with pedals and pickups and without resonator).

I've been calling the instrument a steel guitar, ever since I started playing non-pedal steel prominantly.

------------------
www.tyack.com
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 9:05 am    

Some of the Sacred Steel guys call it 'my music'. I remember talking to Robert Randolph in Nashville at the national meeting of the House of God church. He told me he wasn't going to play because he 'left his music in Jersey'. I thought he was trying to be funny......

------------------
www.tyack.com
Carlos Polidura

Puerto Rico
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 9:12 am    

in my case, when i'm approched by some people they ask ...is that a piano...what do you call that thing?
i smile and say... no. this is not a piano.
this is a PEDAL STEEL GUITAR.
yet they still don't understand.
then i say...this is a "HAWAIIAN GUITAR WITH PEDALS". then they keep asking questions like what the pedals do and so on. then the fun begins... until they get the point and say...........OHHHHH.... A HAWAIIAN GUITAR.
YES... you got it wright.

carlos
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 9:26 am    

Larry, I'd say your response to public inquiry about your guitar is more what I was hoping to experience.

Because of the melodius sounds produced by the steel guitar, many people in an audience are attracted to it but often don't even know initially, which one of the instruments on stage actually produced "that sound". Remembering my days on live television when even the producer or camermen/women, had no idea who was playing "that sound" so instead of focusing audience attention on the steel guitar that was being played at the moment, they pan across the stage and from time to time, catching the fiddler player pickin' his nose or the drummer scratching where it itched.

Many are curious about "what it is" but some folks just don't want to approach an obvious expert and look stupid by having to ask "what is that, that you're playing?"

No, I don't advocate every steel player referring to his axe as "A Hawaiian Steel Guitar".........but I thought it might be helpful to ALL CONCERNED......if we players
could agree on the basics of steel guitar origin and thence, thinking of it in those terms before we launch off into the blue with
a horrific or confusing detailed mechanical explanation of what your own multi-necked, multi-pedalled rig is called.......we might all end up with an understandable explanation of what it is YOU are playing.

Only last week, someone here on the Forum suggested that we perhaps refer to the Hawaiian Steel Guitar, slide guitar, steel stringed guitar, lap steel, laptop steel or whatever "as a pedal-LESS steel guitar".

When someone asks you what kind of red car is that that you're driving, I doubt you start your explanation by saying it's a revolutionary new concept in the art of vehicular travel, initially mass produced by Henry Ford in the early 1900's in Dearborn, Michigan, (or where ever); it's a four wheel design, two drive wheels, powered by a 4, 6, 8 or 12 cylinder internal combustion gasoline fueled engine.........ta-da-dah, etc.
When some of us start with this over-whelming, lengthy detailed mechanical explanation full of insider terms and/or slang, one of some 86 +/- mfr's names, that means NOTHING to the "curious" member of the audience, are we doing this for the benefit of the newly discovered, prospective steel guitar students' education , or CLEARLY, for our own personal gratification or macho image?
The instrument is confusing enough to an involved and dedicated student and we as professionals should be willing to do all possible to lessen that confusion and to open wide the door to knowledge about our chosen musical instrument. That's how I see from where I sit.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 9:32 am    

The name "harp" includes both pedal and non-pedal harps. And yes, they are called "pedal harps" and "non-pedal harps" among those who play them.

Using the same convention for "steel guitar" works, I think. That's why I named this site "The Steel Guitar Forum" instead of "The Pedal Steel Forum" or "The Hawaiian Guitar Forum".

When someone asks me "What is that thing", I say "It's a steel guitar."

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra SD-12 (Ext E9), Williams D-12 Crossover, Sierra S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, C6, A6)
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 10:01 am    

It's unfortunate that the word 'steel' is in the title at all. I've lost count of the number of people who have no comprehension of a steel guitar, and believe that I am a player of Caribbean steel drums.
R B.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 10:18 am    

It's a pedal steel guitar!
Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 11:39 am    

I can always get people to spontaneously say "steel guitar" when I show them my National tricone. Then when I sit down to play it, most say, "Oh -- a dobro!"

At least that's an improvement on the people who think my Rickenbacker B6 lap steel is an electric ukelele.

Oh well ...
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 1:13 pm    

i call my steels that have no pedals "Steel Guitars without Pedals".

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 2:37 pm    

Respectfully, I'd like to suggest that "Hawaiian" guitar no longer connotates an image of any kind to those who've not heard or enjoyed Hawaiian music. I think referring to the instrument as such is somewhat confusing when there's no Hawaiian music in the set, yes? Nearly everyone I run into has heard of a Steel Guitar or Pedal steel Guitar. When folks ask, it's often a form of "what is the PROPER name for that thing?", as they seem to be interested in putting a name to this thing they've seen, and heard, but are unfamiliar with. These days I answer "Well, It's a Pedal Steel Guitar- but there seems to be some debate about that".
It is fascinating how many people actually are interested in the mechanics, what the pedals do, etc. Universal response: "What, knee levers too? How do you keep track of all that?" The twists and turns in the development of our instruments has probably made fine tuning the name an impossibility. "Steel Guitar" seems to be the best option, although many folks I've met seem to think that only refers to metal-bodied nationals. I can see why.
Terry Wendt

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 3:15 pm    

hmmm....

acoustic~ (usually called dobro/reso?)
non-pedal steel (probably elect/no pedals?)
pedal steel (probably elect/with pedals?)

HAWAIIAN (a style which can be played on all threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee??)

Now... can we all say, "Mr. Rogers?"

...that wasn't so hard now was it?

------------------
PedalSteel.us Magazine

TheEarlyDays.com

and appearing regularly...aLotOfSpace.com
Jimmy Crawford/Russ Hicks... and Buddy Emmons on Bass!

[This message was edited by Terry Wendt on 28 October 2004 at 04:17 PM.]

Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 3:20 pm    

Hey, why not take a cue form the Customs Tarriffs and call it, say...

stringed instrument, fretted with a cylindrical or non-cylindrical bar of metal or other construction, consisting of any variation of 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 strings and one (1) or more necks thereof, and upon plucked with, or without the assistance of fingerpicks, and certain string pitches changed, i.e. raised or lowered a specified set amount, with, or without the assistance of mechanical means etc.,the sound of which is produced, or must be amplified, electrically

whoa, maybe I was chanelling Bill H. there for a minute

------------------
Greg Simmons
Former custodian of the Unofficial Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website

[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 28 October 2004 at 04:28 PM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 5:33 pm    

Sorry Ray, I can't go along with that.

I really prefer to call it what it is...a pedal-steel guitar! That is, a steel guitar with pedals. If young or old John Q. Public choses to remain ignorant, then so be it!. Shucks, y'all know as well as I do that there's still a large segment of the population that thinks a "steel guitar" is just an ordinary guitar that's made out of steel instead of wood.

Duh?

Most of them don't know the difference between a violin and a viola, an english horn and a clarinet, a tenor banjo and a 5-string, a tuba and a sousaphone, or a basoon and an oboe, etc., etc., etc.. Well, I say..."Let them get educated!" If they're curious at all, they'll learn on their own, believe me.

I think that's preferable to us "dumbing down" the terminology to try to make a few more of them interested.

My2cents, anyway.
Jeanie Richardson

Charleston, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 7:09 pm    

A ROSE IS A ROSE IS A ROSE----BY ANY OTHER NAME IT WOULD SMELL AS SWEET.
Forrest Lee Jr

Waverly, TN
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 8:09 pm    

So let me get this straight... a guitar, with steel strings, and pedals... but it's made of wood, grown in Hawaii. Now thats a Hawaiian Pedal Steel Guitar.
But what about those knee levers?

Shouldn't it be a Hawaiian, Foot Pedal Plus Knee Levers, Steel String, Wooden Body, with Optional Formica Finish, and an Electric Pickup so you can hear it Guitar?

hmmn that leaves out all the aluminum and composite "steel guitars" out there...
Frank McBride

Clendenin, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2004 4:51 am    

A Model "A" has Pedals and levers is it a {PEDAL FORD} No wonder my old SHO-BUD sounds funny, K-PLUNK--K-PLUNK--K-PLUNK.