| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Great Lloyd Green liner notes
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 6:11 pm    

I just picked up a copy of "The Big Steel Guitar" by Lloyd Green on Time Records (from the mid-'60s, I gather).

Get a load of these liner notes written by (presumably) one of the record company execs:

"There are many who play this instrument poorly. They possess an incomplete technique and their interpretations are amateurish."

Hilarious! You just don't see liner notes like that anymore!

Of course....I can't think this would help album sales, as most of us amateurs were/are the ones buying the album! Might as well say something like "You bought this album because you know good pedal steel when you hear it...you just can't play it. Buffoon."

I'll bet Lloyd just loved having these liner notes on his LP (LOL!).

Joe
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 11:03 pm    

'Big Steel Guitar' is a most interesting Lloyd Green album in that he was still playing a double-necked guitar at the time, and all but perhaps two tunes (Buds Bounce and Red River Valley, if I recall correctly) are on C6th tuning.
~Russ
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 12:15 am    

I bought this album,NEW,in 1963,before I ever heard the name "Lloyd Green". All I saw was the "magic phrase","Steel Guitar".
I have tried FIERCLY,but all in vain,to get Lloyd to re-issue this album. Lloyd is such a perfectionist,& feels that this album doesn't do his reputation justice. I feel that he really owes this album to the steel guitar community,since this album was out of print,even before he became a "household name" in the steel guitar world. There would be nothing to re-issuing this album. The album is already done,the artwork is done, the label is defunct,all that needs to be done is the transfer from analog to digital.
HOW MANY OF YOU OUT THERE,WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A BRAND NEW,DIGITAL COPY OF THIS ALBUM??
PLEASE Lloyd,RE-ISSUE THIS ALBUM!!

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 4:20 am    

Wonder who has/owns the master tape for this session?
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 4:46 am    

When I did the 1965 Fender/Fretts interview with Lloyd, we were driving around Nashville talking when he asked me to pull into a grocery store; one of those big giant buildings. We went inside and he bought a copy of his album and gave it to me.

But I never opened it. I bought a copy myself to listen to and kept his gift in it's original clear cover as a treasured item.

Regards, Paul
Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 5:17 am    

Smiley, count me in. I will buy anything Lloyd Green puts out.
Gere
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 4:14 pm    

That album, is that the one that wasn't actually credited to Lloyd?

It was one of those cash-in type records, I actually collect those, the originals and the CD reissues, and I'm trying to get some reissue labels to pick up some old deleted ones from the 1960s. (surf, hot-rod, country, etc)

I'd love to see it back in print, besides the influence thery had in their day, they are a document of musical trends and styles, not to mention a very early work by a talented artist.
Although I understand where Lloyd is coming from, I have to agree with Smiley %100.
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 11:57 pm    

Jason,

You might want to refer to the website:
www.lloydgreentribute.com

I have additional information about all of Lloyd's instrumental solo records (tracks, album cover, year etc.)

Kind Regards, Walter

------------------