| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Passing on your knowledge to younger Generation?
Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 12:53 pm    

How many of you are passing on your knowledge of the steel to the youger generation? This little guy who is my grandson was begging me to let him sit behind my steel when he was 2 years old and he wanted no less than to put on my picks and hold my bar. I made him a miniature set of picks and he is now 3. Too bad he can't reach the pedals yet but he can strum the strings in correct time with the music. He knows all the major scale notes in the key of C on my keyboard by letter name and am now showing him those notes by the number system. There is no other music in the house other than traditional country music which of course he hears most of the time.

------------------
http://www.steelguitar.ca

[This message was edited by Don Benoit on 14 October 2004 at 01:54 PM.]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jim Hankins

Yuba City, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 1:03 pm    

Thats really cool Don. Unfortunately, I tried and eventually gave up on getting my only daughter (now 19) remotely intrested in any musical insturment. Enjoy and nurture that relationship, Jim
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 1:54 pm    

Don, i have 4 kids that are 11,9,7 & 4
they want to do like me and i get them slidin around on my Gibson lap steel for starters - sometimes i'll catch'em messin' w: my D10 & singin' in the mike even tho the PA is'nt on
i'll try all i can to keep them interested in Musik
i expected when they'll be around 12 or 13 that they'll find it real cool to have musical instruments around and maybe shove me out of the bear cave so they can blow w: their buddies
on another subject, i give gitbox lessons to a few youngsters here and i never miss whoopin' out that lap steel on 'em and say "hey, check this out !"
they have'nt copped any steels yet, but they did go out & get slides

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 14 October 2004 at 02:55 PM.]

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 2:00 pm    

How precious is that? Boy's gonna be a tone monster too. Just look at that right hand position!
Good on you Gramps!
Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 2:01 pm    

I'm travelling south for the winter and will be looking for a budget lap steel as he won't be able to reach the pedals for quite some time yet.

------------------

[This message was edited by Don Benoit on 14 October 2004 at 03:01 PM.]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 2:08 pm    

That's gonna be one great picture in the future, when he becomes the next Buddy Emmons.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 2:19 pm    

last weekend we did the Bristol Show, and my Daughter who is 5 got up and sang a doug stone song with me,,,"too cold at home", she's a little short to reach my pedals, but sits on my lap, working on her grips. what really surprised me is her love for the Traditional Country music. yes indeed !!! pass it on or it will be lost forever. God Bless.

Joe
Mullen D-10 9X7 HWP, Nashville 400, Fender blackface twin, Profex ll, Lexicon MPX 100
Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 2:30 pm    

Your grandson is cute. You should get him a steel and cut the legs and rods down for him. That is what Jerry did for Austin. He started out doing what your grandson is doing. Sitting on Jerry's lap, but then he really started showing an intrest so Jerry cut a steel down to fit him. We had to raise it once, but he is 10 now and we just raised it back to regular hight now. They love playing together. Donna
Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 8:43 am    

Great pic! May be the next Tiger Woods of steel!
Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 9:27 am    

I have been going to schools for years and letting kids get a first hand experience with a Steel. Most really enjoy it. On my website you will see "BUBBA"a 2 yr old I built a Steel for.I think kids are really impressed with a Steel. My website is Steel Guitar Works.com. ED Naylor
Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 9:58 am    

Nice pix Ed.

------------------

Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 11:00 am    

I've thought a lot about how or if I'm going to encourage my son in music. He's only 6 months old, but I think it's a serious issue to think about now. I'm not going to force it, no forced piano lessons or anything. I'm just goin to make it available. I don't think you can force music, it's one of those things, like athletics, that someone has to WANT to do. If he sees Daddy doing it, and wants to join in, so be it. I really don't care if it's guitar or steel or drums or the accordian. I just hope someday that he gets as much enjoyment out of music as his daddy does.
Bruno Rasmussen

Svendborg, Denmark
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 12:49 pm    

New fan of our beloved instrument.
My granddaughter, two month, - enjoying my playing – eeh?

[This message was edited by Bruno Rasmussen on 15 October 2004 at 02:02 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bruno Rasmussen on 15 October 2004 at 02:21 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bruno Rasmussen on 15 October 2004 at 02:53 PM.]

Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 1:33 pm    

I think that if steelguitar is heard from the time a baby is in the womb, the baby should be influenced by the sound. I think exposure to a certain type of music has a lot to do with what is programmed into the mind. Isn't that why most of us who like steel guitar and traditional country music don't like what is being listened to by most of the younger generation? Peer pressure also has a lot to do with what the younger generation listens to.

------------------

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 1:44 pm    

Quote:
I think that if steelguitar is heard from the time a baby is in the womb, the baby should be influenced by the sound

i totally agree w: you on that Don

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 15 October 2004 at 02:46 PM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 3:08 pm    

Sadly, I find most young people of learning age, say from 10-21, are more interested either in complex electronic instruments like keyboards, or simpler instruments like guitar, drums, or bass. I think many young people find the mechanics of a pedal steel a little daunting. This is probably exacerbated by our society's trend towards things electronic, rather than things mechanical, to solve most of our problems nowadays. I'm willing to teach anyone, but lately there haven't been many takers.

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 15 October 2004 at 04:09 PM.]

Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 5:20 pm    

Has anyone tried to promote the steel in schools to school bands?

------------------

Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 7:35 pm    

I'm with Ben Slaughter on this topic. You can't force the kids, but if they show an interest, you should encourage them. My grandaughter expressed interest in my ukulele playing when she was about 5. I got another uke for her. We sang songs, while I chorded. I encouraged her to just keep a rhythm, and not worry about chords. It took about a year until she really appreciated the chords I was playing, and then she started to learn those.

Don - she has sat at Les Anderson's steel and strummed it, but she's too small for it so far, and I think it overwhelms her after the ukulele. Things will evolve hopefully.