| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Norm Hamlet
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2004 2:42 pm    

Hi guys

I just wanted to share a great experience with all of you. Yesterday I had the pleasure of doing a session with Norm Hamlet and what a joy it was. I did the guitar work on this project and we brought in Norm for the Steel and Dobro work. He was the nicest guy anyone could ever hope to meet. He worked all day on 10 tunes and never complained once and fully concentrated on his steel. We even worked up a little part together on steels (him and I)... What a thrill it was to sit and trade a few licks with Norm. A real class act and fine player.

Mike Scaggs
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2004 5:12 pm    

Mike nice to see you posting here, do it more often.

Larry Behm
Daryl Stogner

San Diego, CA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2004 5:52 pm    

Mike,

You got to experience the real Norm. The guy just never changes. Once you meet him you are his friend for life. I used to work with him before he started with Merle, he is one of my motivator's for learning steel in the first place.

Solid is the best way to describe him!

------------------
Daryl Stogner
My Website: www.dstogner.com

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2004 7:33 pm    

Nice to hear from you too Larry.....

One thing I noticed right off the bat with Norm in the studio was his levels were right on through all the tunes. He was also very smooth with all his presentations. He was playing his GFI through and Nashville 1000. We used and nice tube mic (forget the model) and the tome was perfect, mostly in his hands I'm sure.

I must admit that I was a little nervous sitting in the producer’s seat and telling Norm what and where to play. He made that part very easy for me ) Also, he played Dobro (8 string) on a few cuts too and that was equally as good. First take...

It was an honor to meet one of my childhood heroes and I mean that very sincerely.

Mike Scaggs

------------------
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2004 5:33 am    

Yes, and what was that thread the other day about the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame?

------------------
HagFan

billy tam R.I.P.

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2004 4:39 am    

You are right on about Norm Hamlet. I've had the pleasure of doing several shows with Merle's band and you could not find a more friendly and gracious person to visit with and talk steel with. As far as his playing, tasty, totally fits what is being played and consistent. Don't even listen for a glich because there won't be any.

[This message was edited by billy tam on 29 September 2004 at 05:40 AM.]

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2004 7:22 am    

Check him out on the brand new Merle Haggard "Live At Billy Bob's -- Old Country Singer" CD. Some new, some classics, but no tracks repeated from the first Live at BB CD.

------------------
HagFan

Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2004 7:37 am    

Norm Hamlet is one of the steelers that made me want to start playing. His playing from back in the '60's and '70's with Merle was great. Glad to hear he is still playing.

------------------
BMI S-10
Peavey Session 500

Band Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi

My other hobby
http://community.webshots.com/album/56863057VldOYC

Work Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/104144205xDgckj

[This message was edited by Mark Metdker on 29 September 2004 at 08:37 AM.]

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2004 10:47 am    

One of the great things about that session was all the great stories Norm shared with me about him and Roy and how he got started. He told the story about how he used to go to Barbra Mandrell's house to teach her steel when she was only 9 years old. That tells you allot about the guy itself. To many other stories to tell.

Cheers
Mike Scaggs

My other Hobby www.muvs.com
Don't laugh :-)

------------------
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2004 12:19 pm    

Hello Mike:
Yes, I will second your feelings for Norman. Did he tell you how Mr. Mandrell brought in Barbra's Fender 400 and left it to be sold as he wanted her to play the sax. My good friend and Michigan Steel Guitar Hall of Fame member, Jerry Hendrix has that 400.
Daryl, you might remember Jerry from around Bakersfield in those early days.
We had a get together in Sault Ste. Marie Michigan for Buck's 70th birthday a few years ago and a lot of old Bakersfield memories were in the air.

Old Buddy Van
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2004 5:51 am    

Hi Buddy Van

Norm did not tell me that story about Barbra’s 400. He of course had allot of other stories about those days with Barbra. Just goes to show you there are allot of good people left in this world and some are even steel players, hehehe……
Some of the nicest musicians I have ever met through the year of playing and traveling have been steel players. When I moved to Nashville some of the fastest friends I made there were indeed steel guitarist. I guess because we all speak the same musical language there becomes an instant brotherhood that is hard to explain. Kinda like Harley guys I guess…..
Have a great day and talk to you later.

Mike Scaggs

My other hobby www.muvs.com

------------------
Dick Phillips

Brownsville, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2004 9:29 pm    

I had the priviledge of first meeting Norm Hamlet in Lindsay, Calif. At that time he was helping build guitars for Orville Gholston. That was back in the early 60's.
I have a picture of Norm standing beside an acoustic guitar which they built for Jimmy Dickens. I think Norm was probably just getting started then. He's a fine steel player.
Norm. if you read this, please send me an e mail. Thanks, Dick Phillips
Danny Kuykendall

Fullerton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2004 4:53 am    

Just wanted to mention that, even though I've never met him or heard him play live, he plays with so much (country) feeling on Hagaard's cds that I don't believe anyone could replace him. If you listen to "That's The Way Love Goes", "Silver Wings" and especially "Big City" you hear a style that is unique, and definitely contributes to the success of these songs. He would get my vote for the Hall of Fame.
Danny K
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 4:43 am    

Norm's been active since about 1954, around 1955 his band the Desert Stars toured with Skeets McDonald, the group were all school aged and could only tour outside of the school term.
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 10:15 am    

Mike, Now you know what some of us have known for a long time. Norm is awsome. I had a great visit with Norm at a Hag show in Modesto couple years ago. David Wright introduced me to Norm at a Hag show in Turlock a year or two before that. Great guy, awsome player. Not much more you could ask for in a human being.

------------------
97' American-Fender-Tele-Bender-Blaster-Caster
Line 6 Amps
Jim Walker

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 10:18 am    

You guys have pretty much said it all. Thanks for all the comments...

Mike