what nice folks every thing packed nice
the addverb 2 worked great
and his steel cd was wonderfull
thanks Wanda mike archer
great playing and tone billy
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2004 4:33 am    

Mike you are so right about Billy and Wanda Cooper. Great true and honest people whom I have grown to love and respect very much. They maintain a well stocked steel guitar shop that is unmatched and they are always ever present to help those who walk through their doors. I visit their shop often and I purchase many things from them...why??? because I know the quality will be there...the after service will be there and their respect will most certainly always be there. The CD??? You betcha it's a wonderful CD and the tracks make it the perfect choice. Billy has the unique ability that mezmerises you while listening and makes you want to sit down to your steel and play those songs. And Wanda??? What a lady she is. True in every sense of the word and so very knowledgeable and helpful when called upon. Both Wanda and Billy are true to their beliefs and no more trusting folks will you find on the face of the earth. Personally I am so proud to be graced by their friendship.

Ray
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2004 4:51 am    

I wholeheartedly agree; I like dealing with people with great integrity. Billy and Wanda are just super. I'll probably drive down this Sat to get a CD or whatever.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2004 5:01 am    

I think the Cooper's treat musicians very well. When I bought my Nashville 400 a few years ago, I drove all the way to Orange Va. to Billy's shop as I got a much better price than I could in this area. Also, I bought my first BJS bar at Scotty's convention one year and decided I'd like a spare in case something happened to the other one. I went to Billy's and got the bar for less money than I got the other one direct from the manufacturer. Go figure that one. All in all, Billy's is a great place to trade with and to hang out some. He has a very large inventory of all brands of new and used steels...Have a good 'un..JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2004 6:29 am    

yea its a thing for me when I hear a
good player I get fired up and go
pick a good while
I like to deal wilh folks who are honest
and the coopers are
brian addams is not only a great player but also
a great steel tech as well

big boy archer
Steve Knight

NC
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2004 6:49 am    

I just picked up my first psg a few weeks ago from Billy & Wanda. They were wonderful to deal with & very helpful. I went down there 3 or 4 times over the past 6 months while I was trying to decide if I should buy a psg or not & what of type of steel I should buy. They were always really helpful & patient. I picked up a black GFI D-10 Ultra.

I took my first lesson from Buddy Charleton at their store last weekend. That was a blast! In addition to being an outstanding musician, he was a fantastic teacher & a very nice man. It was alot of fun to watch him play the Troubadours' stuff up close. Wow.

I can't say enough good things about Wanda, Billy & Buddy. Head out to their store.

SK
Jeff Agnew

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2004 4:02 am    

Quote:
I took my first lesson from Buddy Charleton at their store last weekend.

More than any single decision you could ever make, that one will have the most lasting inpact on your music. He can take your playing to whatever level you're willing to devote the effort to achieve. The list of his students who have done so is testament to his teaching skills.

Some 28 years after my own first lesson with Buddy it would be hard to overestimate the influence he's had on my playing. You are fortunate to live close enough to him to take lessons frequently. Make the most of it and you'll never be sorry.

Please give my warmest regards to Buddy and Kay, as well as the Coopers.
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2004 9:46 am    

I also have to say what nice folks Billy and Wanda are. A couple of great folks in our business. Nothing I wouldn't do for these wonderful people.
Bobbe Seymour,
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2004 8:19 pm    

Ditto!
Bryan Adams

Mountain City, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2004 7:45 am    

i had the pleasure of getting to know billy when i was "doing my time" at emmons in burlington many years ago...billy is a great guy and a fine player...and is as straight as it gets....always looked foward for billy comming down about once a month as he did back then...thanks mike for the nice words....BA
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2004 8:32 am    

I have dealt with Billy and Wanda on many occaisions, He literally kept my P/P up for me after Fred Trogden (Emmons Guitar Co)passed away. They will work with you every way poossible to see that you get what you want.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2004 9:13 am    

Billy is one of those players that can do something as simple as play the melody and just kill you with how pretty it is.
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2004 3:05 pm    

Yep, I went down there today and did some shopping. Among the goodies I purchased were the tab to "Almost to Tulsa" and Buddy Charlton's CD and that's one of the songs on the CD. A friend tried to teach me this song many years ago and I couldn't get it that fast; maybe the tab will do it. Buddy Charlton was there and is just a great guy; he had just finished a music lesson with a student and the coffee was great. I still can't get over it; a conversation with the great "Buddy Charleton".
David Berry

Sandston, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2004 4:56 am    

I have been dealing with Billy and Wanda since last December (2003). I bought a GFI PSG from them. They were great to work with and very patient with me. I can tell you that they are every bit deserving of all the nice comments folks have made about them. Even though I've only known them a short while I consider them friends. I go to their store about once a month to take pedal steel lessons from Buddy Charleton. What a grand treat to give myself once a month. I get to visit a really nice pedal steel guitar store, take lessons from one of the greatest steel players alive, and do some shopping all in one day! It's a wonderful place to visit. Anyone reading my comments who live too far away to visit their store...you should check out some of Billy's instructional materials. You will be happy you did! One last comment on a personal note: With Buddy and Billy as my PSG teachers and mentors, the only way to go is up! Oh yes, a BIG congratulations to Billy on receiving the Pedal Steel Guitar Association appreciation award for his contribution to the art of playing the steel and furthering knowledge through his instructional materials! Check out...
www.billycoopersmusic.com

[This message was edited by David Berry on 10 September 2004 at 06:00 AM.]

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2004 6:31 am    

Also, just out on September 7th, a CD that Billy and Buddy made together. I just ordered it and can't wait to get my grubby little mitts on it. Check it out on the web site, there are sound clips you can click on to hear snippets.
Thomas Bancroft

Matawan, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2004 8:23 am    

I lived in NYC during the 90's and wanted to learn to play PSG. Found an old Emmons S-10 pp for $450 at "We Buy Guitars" on 48th street which they knew nothing about. Found a teacher (Mike Wolfson) who taught me the basics. He recommended Billy Cooper to restore my Emmons for me. Played that guitar for 2 years (wish I still owned it)Billy took that on a trade and recommended a new Mullen to me (a D-10 which I love). I order a new hat from them whenever the old one needs replacing and answer many peoples questions about their shop (mostly where is it?)and PSG in general. They are extremely nice and helpful folks. If you haven't yet, check them out!

------------------
Mullen D-10, Melobar Rattler, Nashville 1000, Alesis Midiverb, Too Many Guitars!
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2004 11:38 am    

There is not much I can add to what has been previously said, so please include my name on the list of players who cannot thank Wanda and Billy enough for their invaluable service to our small, but obviously tightly knit community.
Charles Walker

Chester, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2004 3:51 pm    

You folk's said it all about Billy and Wanda as I have been there with my brother Ray when he delivered seat's and I bought a PA. system while I was there and got to hear Billy play a little. They are great people and go out of there way to make you feel at home. I have travelled around the va.area and have visited alot of music store's and when I remark about no psg product's all the owner's say you need to go to Billy Cooper's, what a great endorsement for such great folk's. Just wanted to add my input.