| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many lead instruments?????
Leon Eneboe

Sisseton, South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2004 5:28 pm    

I have heard vocalists and groups where there were only two lead instruments, and I have also heard groups or bands where there were as many as five or six lead instruments. Recently, I heard a male vocalist with the lead instruments being only pedal steel and lead guitar (of course the bass and drums were there too). Anyway, it sounded really good as they worked back and forth very well. I think on some of the real old Buck Owens stuff, there was only Ralph Mooney and a fiddle for lead (Buck Owens sings Harlan Howard record). I don't play in a regular band, but do play with "put together" groups, once or twice a month in a Jamboree type setting (on stage, in public). We usually wind up with about five leads (guitar, steel, keyboard, dobro, and sometimes fiddle...all are good musicians). My preference is, that I prefer playing with about two leads besides myself. I am just curious...what you guys like best. Also...how many out there know what it is like to play in a group where someone forgets to stop playing once in a while...I don't want to be whining too much on that last point, because we all like to play, and sometimes it is easy to overplay.
Also...I know there is a completely different situation, and, a big difference between an organized band that plays together regularly as opposed to finding yourself playing with some new pickers and backing singers who are just giving you the name of the song and the key as they step up to the mike. But, it is good experience. Sort of like Jeff Newman remarked once, as being akin to threading a sewing machine needle while the sewing machine was running.
So...what do you like best...one, two, three, four or more lead instruments to work with on stage.

Leon Eneboe
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2004 9:12 pm    

Just give me a guitar player that knows how to work with another lead player. Any more than that, better be really professional or can be trouble. I love to have a fiddle too if it's the right one. You don't have to be great players to make good music. I'd rather have someone of average talent like me, that is willing to share parts and make music than some fabulous selfish player. Just my 2ยข.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 1:18 am    

two or more "Lead" Instrument players that know how to play Music and can co-habitate with each other is the best..

And theres nothing worse than a group with any LEAD player ( even just one) that never stops playing lead..and I suspect we've all been on that road at one time or another..some of us may still be on it ...

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 05 August 2004 at 03:12 PM.]

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 3:44 am    

My band has 3, steel, guitar and fiddle. I double on banjo, guitar and sometimes fiddle mandolin and dobro. The fiddle player doubles on mandolin. We all work well together backing out when we should.

I have played in many bands where the guitar playe was use to being the only lead. I would sit there for a set or two and just wait my turn. One time I just had to take my turn be turning up and blowing them away, steel players have the power.

Larry Behm
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 5:07 am    

Two soloists that double or triple,
or 3 where at least one doubles.
Makes for a nice mix

We have 2 soloing acoustic guitarists, but they have very different sounding instruments and amps and styles,
and my contrabass sounds very different from them of course.
But I yearn for more, mandolin, violin and accordian in the mix.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 05 August 2004 at 06:09 AM.]

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 5:15 am    

I have never had the opportunity to make that choice. You have to go with the $$$ that the band can charge for their services ....JD
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 5:53 am    

When you write up the job announcement, make sure you include a requirement that the individual "Plays nice with others"
Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 7:45 am    

When you write up the job announcement, make sure you include a requirement that the individual "Plays nice with others"

Amen...

I learned from a seasoned pro that..I'll take my "RIDE" then I'll respect you and swing my attention to you, and make you a "STAR".

Nothing is worse than not being able to work as a TEAM!
Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 8:21 am    

WHEN PLAYING FOR NOTHING AT LOCAL CLUB.ALL
THE DRINKS YOU CAN DRINK.ha ha , GIVE HER HELL!!! you'll be remembered!!!!!
BEEN THERE. DONE THAT!!!!!
FARRIS
Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 12:03 pm    

I like fiddle, steel, and guitar, whether I'm playing guitar or steel (or both). But, there's nothing worse than a player that doesn't know when to lay out. Let it breathe, man!!!

------------------
Ben
Zum D10, NV400, TubeFex, POD, G&L Guitars, etc, etc.
James Lutz

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 12:27 pm    

You gotta play the rests.

My main gig in a dancehall 7 or 8 piece band, I'm on guitar, with twin fiddles, steel and piano. We have things down pretty well, as to intos, fills and solos. When in doubt, we're always looking around with our eyes and our ears.

Also, on a similar topic - about being professional, I never forgot two things I learned as a kid from an old singer I worked with many moon ago. One was, he said 'son, this ain't no marriage, it ain't gonna last forever', and he was right about that. No band I've been with has ever lasted forever. The second thing he said was' Here's the rule. When I'm singing, you don't play, when I ain't singing, you play.'

Both pieces of advice have served me well...

------------------
"What would Ernest Tubb have done in a situation like this?" Cornell Hurd
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 12:44 pm    

Leon, if I could form a band, I'd like to have it just like Ricky Skaggs had his.
I will always beleive he had the best band in country/bluegrass music. the lead guitar, the fiddle, the banjo, the steel, and I think he had a piano player to. Ricky would let all lead instruments take a part, and it was GREAT music!
But since I know that will never happen, I would be satisfied with a piano, a lead guitar and a steel gutar.

------------------
84 SKH Emmons Legrand D10
session 400'rd Steelin for my Lord.

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 2:53 pm    

Our band has steel,lead,fiddle,and sometimes the lead man switches to give us twin fiddles. We have had piano also from time to time. We all have our own parts to play, sometimes solo and sometimes harmony parts together. I don't believe the number of lead instruments is important,but rather how well everyone works together. How lucky I am.
Harley Morris

Riverside, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2004 5:13 pm    

It does not matter how many lead instruments you have in your band---it's not when to play that matters as much as when NOT TO PLAY. Think about it....
David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2004 5:20 pm    

I'm in one band project right now that has the following lead instruments at any one time:

Steel/Dobro
Electric Guitar/Mandolin
Acoustic Guitar/Banjo/Electric Guitar
Keys
Fiddle/Mandolin/Acoustic Guitar

Add in the lead vocalist on acoustic, then bass and drums, and you've got a pretty versatile 8 piece...

Good luck making any money, but it's fun,

David Spires
Dixson Rudolph

Dodson, Louisiana USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2004 8:17 am    

Yeah, beware o' them 'NOODLERS'...you know, the guys who practice their 'licks' between songs, during THEIR solos, during YOUR solos, and during vocals! One band I was in had two guitar players, one of which was THE NOODLER, and I was on steel. Solos became a big cluster**** because of U-know-who. As soon as he 'left' the band, things tightened up nicely! Less really IS more.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2004 8:58 am    

Quote:
beware o' them 'NOODLERS'...you know, the guys who practice their 'licks' between songs, during THEIR solos, during YOUR solos, and during vocals!

I've played with guys like this from time to time... never on any kind of a repeating basis, though... but one gig with Chris Fertitta about 12 years ago was particularly amazing.

I forgot the guitarist's name right now, but not only did he do all the above in the quotation, he noodled in between songs while Chris was trying to introduce the next song, then he continued on the breaks when the rest of the band was freakin' off-stage!! Literally, he played one continuous semi-solo the entire gig. I was annoyed for the first 90 minutes, then I realized I had no control over the situation, separated myself from it and merely stood back and marvelled at this guy's cluelessness, counting the money I'd be receiving at the end of the gig.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 15 August 2004 at 10:03 AM.]

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 15 August 2004 at 01:26 PM.]

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2004 9:10 pm    

What i always hated was just as the singer announced a song a drummer would practice a roll or what ever and the singer would get mad that he had to repeat it.It was difficult to get through to some so called band leaders the steel player is usually sitting close to the drums plus 75 monitors which the drums are coming through.I miss the old days when the leads kept their volume below the singer and the rhythm section stayed below both.Needed no monitors or sound men.How many out there old enough to remember the good old days and could tune with a simple tuning fork altho the electronic tuneres were great to re tune to a sound you had decided up on your on was an in tune sound when they came out. Tracy
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 8:13 am    

Moved to "Steel Players", as the discussion isn't specific to "Pedal Steel".