| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  remember when
marsello

Washington, NJ
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 6:46 am    

Did anyone catch the CBS special on Sunday afternoon between 2-3PM about Arnold Palmer? They were reminiscing about his illustrious golfing career and all the good he has accomplished for charity and the greater good of golf over the last fifty years.

The background music throughtout the show was "Remember When". More importantly, they must have used the steel guitar break as the main soundtrack through the show. I know I heard it at least 6-7 times in the half hour I watched the show. Sometimes they played the break back to back through an interview. It was cool. I wonder if Mr. Green might have seen the show? I'm sure millions of people must have watched the program.

Frank Marsello
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 8:28 am    

It's a shame that sidemen don't get royalties.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 9:56 am    

That's a TV residual - I don't yet know how it works here in the US, but in the UK when my playing was heard on TV, the Musicians' Union would collect automatically on my behalf. This was not uncommon when I'd done a session for a young band - if the track made it to video, and the video was played in the course of the record's promotion, I'd get paid the appropriate TV rate. I remember one where a young man wielding a Les Paul 'mimed' to my steel solo - they certainly didn't want my fifty-something year old image cluttering up their film!

Surely a similar ruling exists here? I find it hard to believe that Lloyd, as well as the rhythm section guys, won't be recompensed at network TV rates.

I wonder if the Great Man (Arnie) asked for it to be used! If he did, he goes up even further in my estimation - what a credit he is to professional sport.....

RR

[This message was edited by Roger Rettig on 20 April 2004 at 10:57 AM.]

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 4:16 am    

Yes, hearing pedal steel in surprising places is a treat. We rented a couple of Blockbuster movies over the weekend and what a surprising treat. Both videos had great music with Paul Franklin playing solos from George Strait recordings.
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 8:54 am    

Royalties and residuals aside, it sounds like two of my favorite people in the universe had a common thread for awhile.

We talk a lot about Lloyd here because the topic is steel. I think AP is a national treasure and among the absolute best examples of what a "pro" should be.

------------------
HagFan

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 9:06 am    

Hear, hear, Ron!

I called Palmer a credit to professional sport - a credit to the human race would be more appropriate.

A friend of mine who happens to be our Club Champion here at the Glades in Naples was fortunate to have the chance to play several rounds with Arnie, and he assured me that he is everything that he appears to be - warm, considerate, and thoughtful, and a total sportsman who loves nothing more than playing golf at any level.

Maybe he's a closet 'E9th' lover, too!

RR
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 12:41 pm    

I can't get enough of Lloyd's playing. It looks like that TV producers also noticed the beautiful playing of Lloyd Green!

Kind Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------