| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old album "It's the First Time" Steel Jam
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2004 5:05 pm    

A friend of mine gave me a copy of a recording of a steel guitar jam featuring Chalker, Emmons, Speedy West, Jernagin, Reece, J.Tharpe, Green, Day and Hal Rugg. The supporting cast features Louis Bellson on drums, Jimmy Bryant on guitar, Henry Strebecki on bass and John Gore on sax. There are three tunes, Twelve Midnight, Cottontail Blues, and Lonesome Road. It is an amazing recording. Everyone gets to show there stuff. There is actually someone announcing the player when it is their turn. I never really heard Tharpe before. Amazing! Was he on acid? Does Lloyd play C6 on this? It's the first time I heard Speedy try to play melodic single note runs without all the springy bouncy sounds and sound effects.

Does anyone know when this was recorded? It sounds like most of the players were using tube amps. Are there more than 3 cuts on three album? Where can I find it? I was thinking, what if Joaquin Murphy and Vance Terry were there? Wouldn't that be something?

------------------
Dave Zirbel-
Sho-Bud Super Pro, 8 x 5, ZB Custom D-10 8 x 5, Webb 6-14E, Fender Vibrasonic Custom,
The Mother Truckers

[This message was edited by Dave Zirbel on 11 April 2004 at 06:06 PM.]

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2004 6:08 pm    

Where does the line form for paid copies???
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2004 6:59 pm    

Ck. some of the posts here http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/003378.html Mr. Dave Burley was the man responsible for this project. He also produced many other shows etc. featuring Buddy Emmons, Julian, Maurice, Doug, Jimmy Bryant and many others throughout the mid 70s. He used our family music store as somewhat of a "homebase" for many of these projects. Thanks Dave!
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2004 10:27 pm    

This really is a pretty amazing moment in steel guitar history!