| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thank you George Sypert and Mac McConnell
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 1:48 pm    

I have two individuals I would like to thank for helping me early on when I started with the steel guitar here in Colorado Springs. I owe both of them a lot for their introduction, history, and technical aspects of the steel guitar.

Thank you George Sypert. You took me from knowing nothing about the instrument to being able to play scales and tunes. George is very adept at the instrument and is very willing to pass on his knowledge. He has a broad background with the steel guitar and has played with known acts. If anyone close to Colorado Springs needs steel guitar instruction then George is the person you need to contact.

The other individual I would like to thank is the departed Mac McConnell. I was curious about the steel guitar and just walked in off the street. I told him I didn’t have much money but I would like to see if I could play the steel. He sold me a ShoBud Professional 8X4 for $600 and introduced me to George. One of the best pairings of my life. Later when I wanted something different Mac sold me a Mullen 8X5, one sweet guitar.

I had to sell most of the musical equipment to attend to family issues in 1995 or so. I am just now getting back into the steel guitar but I probably wouldn’t have done it now without the help of George and Mac back then.

Thank you, George and Mac

Sherman
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 4:25 pm    

Well Sherman, that was quite a surprise. I am sure that if Mac were still with us he would glad that he was able to help you out. Mac was a fair and reasonable dealer. I bought quite a lot of equipment from him and it was always good and fair priced. I see that you have made a good purchase on a U12. That is a good way to go. Endless possibilities. Enjoy and thanks for the post.
George
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 4:30 pm    

Mac was a good guy. One of the best things about going to the convention and Dallas and PSGA shows is that we get to meet each other in person. I liked Mac from the moment we first met. It's a real shame he is no longer with us.
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 4:50 pm    

RIP Mac, you are missed. Always loved being in your company.

And folks, George S. is one of the very few steel players I have met who can listen to a hot lick from any of the very famous pedal steel players, and then tell you where to find that lick, and then if you still can't find it, he will then show it to you. Hope to see George this weekend in Dallas.(???)

Thanks for all your hospitality when I was there in Colorado Sprigns..

Your friend,

Bill Stafford
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2004 5:24 am    

Hello Sherman,
Thanks for the posting. Mac was quite a character. I miss him and his delightful sense of humor. There are a bunch of steel players here in Colorado who will always fondly remember Mac, a friend to our community.
Chuck
Gary Morrison

Centennial, CO, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2004 10:41 am    

Sherman & George: I wanted to let you know I'll be playing my pedal steel (ShoBud Pro III) at the Hideout Lounge in Colo. Sprgs. on Friday, April 2nd. It's at 6437 Omaha Blvd. I'm mostly around the Denver area, but we get down to the Springs once every couple of months. Both of you come out and say hi!
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2004 2:17 pm    

MAc was a fir guy all the way. I attended my first seminar thanks to Mac. strings picks, and about everything else mac took care of me. Heck he even cleaned five years of bar smaoke off my dekley. I always appreciated his help to young wanna be who lived in the noman's land of Oklahoma. thank God for mail order and Mac!!!

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

Mark Frederick

The Great State of Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2004 8:16 am    

Mac and George, two fine gentlemen.

Mark
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2004 9:25 am    

....and George also knew and worked with Shawna Lawrence, the finest "girl" bass player that ever played western swing.

Shawna darlin', where are you today?

www.genejones.com