| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Strong like a bull but sensitive like a squirrel
Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2004 9:55 am    

I just picked up two of Joe Goldmark's CDs. Fantastic steeling. But anyway, I'm listening and I know I've heard some of Joe's songs before. Fact is, I heard them on National Public Radio as filler material between the commentary. I don't know if it is my local affliate running the filler material or the network feed.

I also really get a kick out of the titles:

"STROUNG LIKE A BULL...but sensitive like a squirrel!"

and

"All Hat and No Cattle"

He gives Jim Cohen a run in the CD title naming department! I mean that as compliment to both Joe and Jim. It was Jim's Steel Guitar Crossword puzzle turned me on to Joe Goldmark, imagine that !

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2004 11:29 am    

Absolutely, Joe G. is great and VERY original. I have that album too along with several others of his. But he´s even better when playing live - I saw him with the Twangbangers two years ago in Holland (Buddy Cage standing next to me watching!) and it blew my mind, Joe has a knack to always come up with those "unexpected" things. He really plays like nobody else.

Regards, Joe H.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2004 11:39 am    

Imagine that!

Joe is a good friend, and a great player, btw.
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2004 4:57 am    

What I feel he doesn't get enough credit for, is that when he wants to, he plays just about as purdy as a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model.
Rick Johnson

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2004 11:45 am    

I thought this thread was about
Smiley Roberts. ha

------------------
Rick Johnson
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2004 11:53 am    

I'm not sure I think All Hat No Cattle is a Randy Newman song. If it is it realy is a great send up of exactly what it speaks of.
Maybe his is Big Hat, No Cattle.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2004 1:02 pm    

I have all of Joe's own recordings, as well as the 2 he did with guitarist Jim Compalongo. My personal favorite is "All Over The Road" but they are all excellent.

There are a lot of very good players who stay within the confines of what has been done before. There are relatively few who venture into now and uncharted territory. Joe is a truly innovative player who is not afraid to venture where no steel guitarist has gone before.

But more important than the fact that he does now and different things, is the fact that he does them WELL. It's not enough to merely be different, you have to be good, and Joe is outstanding. It's not just that he has good technique. He plays with SOUL.

He really deserves more recognition than he gets. I hope this thread spurs some sales of his CDs.
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2004 1:29 pm    

True!

Joe is an outstanding player with a unique approach. A few years ago they released a CD with tunes from his Lo-Ball albums.

Great music!

Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 9:22 am    

Joe Goldmark is the real deal, a totally one-of-a-kind item. NOBODY sounds like Joe, his tone, sound, and approach to steel are SOOOO refreshing. He created himself in his own image and likeness, and boy do I like it!! Scotty is such a genius for getting the best of the best to play St. Louis and I owe Scotty, we all do, a great debt for FINALLY convincing Joe to bring his band to St. Louis and astound us all. It truly was one of the great events in St. Louis history what Joe and his band treated us to. I have everyone of his CDs and LOVE 'em all. Joe, my hat is off to you!! PLEASE COME BACK!!!!!!!!
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 10:52 am    

Both "All Hat, No Cattle" & "Strong Like Bull, Sensitive Like Squirrel" are among my favorite pedal steel recordings. Joe's version of Brian Wilson's "Bells of Madness" and Carol King's "Hey Girl" are flat out great.
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 11:24 am    

I have those two.
Really like his tone on Desert Drive.
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2004 7:14 pm    

Yikes! You open up the Forum and you never know what you're gonna see. Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words. As I've stated before, I try to play the steel as pretty as I can while putting it in some different contexts. I always look for a good melody and feel that the steel works great in pop and soul music as well as country. I mainly try to please myself with my album projects, and if someone else likes them too, great. However, Colm, it's not Like a Bull, it's Like Bull. Think, Rocky & Bullwinkle!

My latest band is "Dave Gleason & Wasted Days." He's a young guy who writes and plays country rock, kind of like we used to hear it in the early 70's. The new album called "Midnight California," will be out in early March, and I'm all over it. I think there's some excellent songs and I hope the "No Depression" crowd picks up on it.
Thanks guys. Joe
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 2:54 am    

Please keep us posted Mr. Goldmark. I can only speak for myself, but my college days were a little toooooooo good to me if you know what I mean, and I have a tendency to forget things. I'd sure appreciate a reminder when the album does become available.

[This message was edited by Chris Forbes on 01 February 2004 at 02:54 AM.]

Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 7:32 am    

Joe, thanks for the correction. I don't know how I imagined those extra words in the title "Strong like Bull...but Sensitive like Squirrel". I flunked Proofreading 101.

Maybe I was thinking Schlitz Malt Liquor BULL, instead of Rocky and Bullwinkle!

I really like your music, all the music. The title "Butane" and the steeling produces for me the mental image of a propane tanker just rolling down the Interstate, with no intention of stopping ! Gonna be a fireball at the end of the line...Guess I'd better lay off the Bull.

Anyone interested in these Joe Goldmark CD's, Bob has got them listed on the Forum CD& tape section!

[This message was edited by Colm Chomicky on 01 February 2004 at 07:35 AM.]

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 1:20 pm    

Click Here!

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
 System Administrator