| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Proper Tempo For O.B.S.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 7:53 am    

I have a lingering curiosity about the fiddle tune, when it is played at tempos never imagined on the steel guitar. For those who may be unfamiliar with the abbreviated O.B.S. title, it stands for "Orange Blossom Special". Most instrumentals are written with specific tempos. I'm fairly certain that it took off with the inception of pedals and knee levers, since the likelihood of hearing a fast version on "straight" steel is virtually nonexistent. Can anyone explain where the change first originated?

Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 14 November 2003 at 08:02 AM.]

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 8:44 am    

I do not know when the very first OBS was done on steel. But the following is what I do know.

The first person I ever heard do it was Doug Jernigan; and it was on the stage of the ISGC during the 70's. I thought then and now, that performance was the most perfect replica of the "fast fiddle tune" I had ever heard; and NOT be on a fiddle.

Somehow Doug was able to capture (at least to my ears) every nuance of sound that my ears needed to hear; in order to say, "UNBELIEVABLE"

I do not think it is possible to do that on a non pedal steel guitar. If someone can, I would love to hear it; and it would be just as dramatic and incredible, as when I saw Doug do it on a PSG.

Since I saw Doug first do it, I have seen and heard a number of players do it including Doug. But none will ever equal (in my mind) that night when I sat and watched in disbelief; what was unfolding right in front of my eyes and ears.

Every note was distinct, clear and perfectly on time and in tune. To this day I simply cannot fathom how Doug did that. Or any other player as well. Yet he did it; and he made it appear effortless.

May Jesus continue to bless this man with talent truly (not just boasting) "on loan from God", and may HE bless all of you always,

carl

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 14 November 2003 at 08:48 AM.]

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 9:53 am    

Carl D.,

Now I can understand how you've become one of the most respected writers on this forum. I really enjoy reading your reports, as I find them to be very reliable, and to the point. I might add that there is the E9th tuning to consider, whenever a speed related selection, such as O.B.S. is the choice of a player in a given performance. Going into the matter a little deeper, I believe that the fiery melody, is best played on the E9th neck, rather than the C6th. Those chromatic notes that are located on the top treble strings, facilitate a "spawning" ground for hot "licks", such as those heard in D. Jernigans version of "Orange Blossom Special".
I like his technique, when he plays off the 8th string, of the 9th tuning.

Bill H.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 10:57 am    

Quote:
I do not think it is possible to do that on a non pedal steel guitar.

Having heard Jerry Douglas play, I might be inclined to disagree with that!
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 1:34 pm    

Donny H.,

A little researching of the popular instrumental, called the "Orange Blossom Special" would undoubtedly quickly reveal that it's a piece of work, unless the player can play forward and reverse scale patterns with dexterity on the E9th tuning. It's certainly a high risk area for fumbling an otherwise good performance, due to the band goading the steel guitarist to shift down into overdrive. In response to having doubts about abilities, it is not germane, unless the gifted one is seated behind a pedal steel guitar. Dobros cannot mimic a steel guitar, anymore than a fiddle can. We wouldn't want to mislead the untrained into thinking, there is nothing to it, but to do it.

Bill H.
Perry Hansen

Bismarck, N.D.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 2:10 pm    

Wayne Galey.
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 3:48 pm    

I'd have no doubt Jerry Douglas could play that tune on his Dobro to perfection but I'd like to hear him or anyone do it on a non-pedal guitar like one of the great Fender non-pedal guitars out there. Just love to see it!
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 4:12 pm    

Just as Carl has his "defining moment" with Doug J's version of "OBS", so do I.
One night in the late 70's, I was playing at the Sundance Saloon in Calabassas on a Tue night with a band that was fronted by Don Everly with an "all star" list of players (that forgot to check my passport and let me pick with'em)that was made up of the cream of the crop of who ever was in town and was willing to play for gas money and free beer, but it was a "pickers" gig and the music was "HOT". In fact, Buddy Emmons was the steel player until he moved back to NV.
On this night, the lead guitar was being wonderfully played by Albert Lee, who had just gotten his Evan's Pull-String Tele the week before. Harold Hensley was playing fiddle that night and after a few incendary rides by Harold, he handed it over to Albert and what came next was burned into my music memory banks forever and ever. It was the hottest, cleanest, most musical, blazing tele solo I've ever heard taken on OBS.
To this day, when ever OBS gets played when I'm on the stage, all I hear in my head is that masterpiece ride that Albert took that night!
JE:-)>
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 4:22 pm    

Proper tempo for O.B.S.? FASTER!!

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 7:40 pm    

Jim Eaton,

You have shared an experience, that is full of excitement and adventure. I found it to be very interesting reading material. Thanks again for the lively report.

Bill H.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 1:04 am    

Bobby Lee,

You've surprised me by delivering such a concise retort! It has the scent of a schema; as if to say that you have no problem with traditional upbeat tempos, heard in arrangements by steel guitarists playing the "Orange Blossom Special". This would be most interesting to learn, should you care to expound further in detail.

Bill H.
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 1:45 am    

BH/ I remember reccomending BE's rendition months ago, and a rather easy "finger roll" method of the "fast part". I think the tempo was around 130, but that's from my memory. When I get my stuff back from the weekend gig I'll try to post what I made of it.

Traditionally it seems to start off rather slow and build to the fastest agreed apon speed. Faster with some them with others to be sure.

I never seem to get it much over 130

EJL
Niklas Widen

Uppsala, Sweden
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 2:48 am    

Here is a clip from my take on it! Excuse the bad timing, partly caused by my sound card's irritating latency!

OBS

/Nicke Widén

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 3:59 am    

N. Widen,

Thank you for the clip of your fantastic arrangement of O.B.S. I'm going to alert some of my friends about your amazing technique. Wow! What a contribution for those who enjoy hearing a truly gifted steel guitarist present his/her rendition of the "Orange Blossom Special". I'm filled with excitement while listening to the shortened version.

Bill H.

Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 5:31 am    

Niklas:

I just listened to your rendition of OBS. I'm impressed.
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 6:29 am    

Proper Tempo: Exactly one or two beats faster or slower than the drummer
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 9:26 am    

Quote:
Dobros cannot mimic a steel guitar...

My deepest apologies, Mr. Hankey. You see, where I come from, a "Dobro" is a steel guitar...a particular brand of cone-resonator steel guitar, but a steel guitar, nevertheless. I had (mistakenly?) believed that the issue in question was whether or not OBS could be played acceptably without pedals, and that pedals on a steel guitar, per se, had accelerated the tune's tempo beyond that of it's original bluegrass fiddle origins.

My age-feebled mind simply could not comprehend, in exactness, the complexities of your sublime interrogative.

I therefore ashamedly withdraw from the topic.

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 15 November 2003 at 09:27 AM.]

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 9:35 am    

Eric W.,

I believe you are referring to the scale pattern played off the first 5 strings. Utilizing the (A) pedal, and the (F) lever. If so, it would be interesting to read new accounts about techniques in putting the two changes to good use. Thanks..

Bill H.
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 9:40 am    

"certainly a high risk area for fumbling an otherwise good performance,"

Well, if the bpm is fast enough, just play every other note
Franklin

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 9:51 am    

Donny.....I'm with you. Anything played with a bar and picks is a steel guitar. And I would never want to lock horns with Mr. Douglas when it comes to OBS speed.

Whats the point? Play it as a ballad. Since when did songs have iron clad tempo rules.

Paul
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 12:32 pm    

Donny H.,

Years ago I met a dobroist at a festival in Canaan Valley, in E. Canaan Ct., where hundreds of country musicians gathered at least once a year. There was no formal introduction, we just "met" at the huge lawn on the premises. As I approached within earshot of where he was picking, I was quickly drawn to his masterful skills. He played an instrument that probably sold for $29.50. I took particular notice of the very expensive leather strap that was inscribed "JOHNNY". I looked at the instrument as he played, and could not believe what I was hearing. I'm writing to tell you that I am extremely fond of dobro music. However, I'm sticking by original thoughts, when I point out that dobros are as limited as nonpedal steel guitars, when chordal melody expression is considered.

BTW, I got to play steel with "Johnny" that warm summer afternoon. I knew from the onset of our performance that I was in good company.

Bill H.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 1:15 pm    

Considering that every time I've had to play it, it's been with one smoking fiddler or another, I'd have to say that the proper tempo for O.B.S is T.D.F.- Too Damn Fast...

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 2:12 pm    

I played with a fiddle player once and I seem to remember him playing it at 4300 beats per minute. I always find that song a good reason for a bathroom break.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 6:10 pm    

It's a novelty piece, not allowed at fiddle contests. Nobody gives a rat's butt what gets played, as long as there's a long string of hot licks before the modulation. Correct speed? I doubt if one fiddler out of ten even knows the correct TUNE, never mind steel players. Dumb song.
RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2003 6:23 am    

OBS has been played by MANY who in their own right, play it "Out of this world", but, I must say that there are 2 "Killer Pickers" that is hard to "Outdo" one another. I am speaking of Tommy White, and Terry Crisp. I once saw Tommy in Louisville playing OBS, and this guy KNOWS FAST, and he turned around and Looked at his Dad, "Bubba" White and I could read his lips saying..."It's TOO fast" That's FAST guys. He is INCREDIBLE. I do have a cassett of Terry Crisp LIVE at St. Louis, and I just don't know how a mind can "Keep Up" to the tempo of his version of OBS. At the end, you can hear someone say.."Oh,My, Oh, My" It is hard to really know WHO is the Fastest, Tommy, or Terry.....I don't know, MAYBE in my NEXT life. Yea, RIGHT!!!