| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who steels for Muzak?
Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 4:02 pm    

A few weeks back I was in a Long's Drug store and the elevator music being piped into the speakers in the ceiling was a country tune remake with great steel playing. Who does the steeling for these song-makeover services like Muzak? It almost sounded like PF.

------------------
Bill, steelin' since '99 | Steel page | My music | Steelers' birthdays | Over 50?

Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 4:07 pm    

I hear some great playing on Muzak on all
different instruments. I'll bet all the majors are involved.

[This message was edited by Chuck McGill on 12 November 2003 at 06:20 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 5:16 pm    

Muzak doesn't really produce any of the music they use, but merely licenses already-recorded selections when they are deemed "acceptable" for one of their program lists. From their music library (which is probably one of the largest in the world) they select songs to form playlists which will enhance a certain mood (be it buying, relaxing, eating, studying, etc.). Their stuff isn't all "elevator" music, but runs the gamut from dixieland, rock, oldies, jazz, symphony, and just about any other category as well (including foreign-language ones). Though I don't know for sure, I imagine you might likely hear Paul, Buddy, Curly, or Doug, from time to time. If it was released on a major label...they probably have it.
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 6:09 pm    

I know Dan Tyack used to do a lot of stuff that was used in elevators. He plays a Franklin and is an excellent player. That would be my guess. I don't think you're gonna hear Paul or Mike Johnson or other Nashville session guys on reworked instrumental stuff, but I could be wrong.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 11:28 pm    

I can remember hearing some great steel playing in a Piggly Wiggly grocery store once when I was playing a road gig in a small town in Nebraska. I also remember hearing some great C6 Jazz playing in a department store in Urbana Illinois a few years back around Christmas time. I think the tune was "It Had To Be You". It would be cool if some the guys who have done this kind of work would "fess up".

[This message was edited by Bob Watson on 11 November 2003 at 11:32 PM.]

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2003 5:36 am    

Bill,
I've had the financial and musical pleasure of making instrumental recordings to be licensed to Muzak as far back as 7 years ago and as recent as a few months ago. My wife and I have heard these recordings in our local grocery all the way to establishments in Florida.
Although recordiings of this nature only requires one to play the melody, it is very fun and at times can be challenging because of the eras and/or genres that are requested.

[This message was edited by Tommy White on 12 November 2003 at 05:37 AM.]

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2003 7:43 am    

Thanks for the reply, Tommy. So there's a good chance the playing I heard was yours. It sure stopped me in my tracks... I wasn't expecting to hear steel, or that level of playing. It was probably good for the store biz, too, since I stayed (and shopped) around longer to hear the music.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2003 11:53 am    

I have done a hundred or so of these tunes for Muzak over the years. Most of the stuff I do is not country (e.g. I have played on a bunch of Mark Knopfler tunes), and most of the country stuff is done in Nashville, with Tommy.

------------------
www.tyack.com
Dave Horch

Frederick, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2003 7:09 pm    

Well keep it up guys! I had a similar "hey listen to that steel" moment at the airport in St. Louis. It was not even close to Scotty's convention, date wise, so I was surprised. Pleasantly! Best, -Dave
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2003 7:39 pm    

Joseph Lanza's book, "Elevator music" is an uneven but interesting read about this pervasive but mysterious aspect of our musical culture. Music as a tool for affecting behavior and listener mood was first conceived as far back as the 1920's and has often involved the finest pro musicians. It's a fascinating story.

[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 12 November 2003 at 07:46 PM.]

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2003 7:47 pm    

Joseph Lanza's book, "Elevator music" is a great read about this pervasive but mysterious aspect of our musical culture. Music as a tool for affecting behavior and listener mood was first conceived as far back as the 1920's and has often involved the finest pro musicians. It's a fascinating story.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0472089420/qid=1068694552/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-0680978-5453468?v=glance&s=books
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 6:23 am    

Since I posted this I have found out that MUZAK does a whole lot more than country in Nashville. I didn't want to give the impression that Tommy and the other amazing players in Nashville are one dimensional (Lord knows there are more five star pop session musicians in Nashville than in any other city in the world).

------------------
www.tyack.com
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 1:35 pm    

I would suppose that playing on "elevator music" does have it's ups and downs...

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 1:59 pm    

Several times, I was asked to leave the bandstand and go play in the elevator.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2003 1:21 pm    

It's fun work.....you need to be able to work really, really fast (as in 6-8 songs in an hour, at least when I overdubbed). My favorite was playing Paul's part on the song "my own sweet way" from the Knotting Hillbillies record.

------------------
www.tyack.com
Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2003 2:41 am    

I was having a meal in a Chinese restaurant a few years ago, with low-volume Muzak playing. Along with the usual twangy sounds of the (oriental?) style was a tasty PSG part. When it came on it got my attention and sort of bugged me, until I finally rec`ognized the melody played on the steel..."September in the Rain".
I could picture a hip dude wearing a cowboy hat, doing a pro recording session of Chinese muzak...really pretty cool!